Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Finding things that have started to ferment at work...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
wcarter1227
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Default Finding things that have started to ferment at work...

Well like the title says at work i always look at things and think to myself wow, I could use that in my homebrew.

Well low and behold Im working its 5 am and Im half asleep. I was taking inventory of product on hand and found a gallon of opened vanilla syrup for shakes that had expired august 20th. The interesting part was that it had a layer of brown trub on the bottom of the gallon and it also had a 1/2 inch of foam on the top of the gallon. At first I just thought it was moldy but I took a look closer and its was bubbling. I opened the gallon to a suprise of a hiss and a pleasant vanilla sour smell.

Part of me wanted to save it and try it as I potentially found wild yeast and part of me said it was gross and threw it out.

Im sad cause I didnt even take a picture.

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter1227 View Post
Well like the title says at work i always look at things and think to myself wow, I could use that in my homebrew.

Well low and behold Im working its 5 am and Im half asleep. I was taking inventory of product on hand and found a gallon of opened vanilla syrup for shakes that had expired august 20th. The interesting part was that it had a layer of brown trub on the bottom of the gallon and it also had a 1/2 inch of foam on the top of the gallon. At first I just thought it was moldy but I took a look closer and its was bubbling. I opened the gallon to a suprise of a hiss and a pleasant vanilla sour smell.

Part of me wanted to save it and try it as I potentially found wild yeast and part of me said it was gross and threw it out.

Im sad cause I didnt even take a picture.
...now we're sad too.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:24 AM   #3
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

so heres an update on this several months later i found the same product fermenting at work while doing inventory. it smelled really sour and you can see the krausen in the pics. if it werent for the fact that the owner was there with me i might have kept it around and seen what the results would have been.

anyway enjoy the pic!

img00031-20110508-0740.jpg  

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Quick Reply