The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Finding the Elder (marylamd)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
Kmcogar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Finding the Elder (marylamd)

I Have been looking for Pliney the elder for sometime now. No where to be found in Maryland. So I'm heading up to Philadelphia. If anyone else on Maryland is looking for it. Let me know. I live near Annapolis and work near DC

I will be looking for Ballast Point and some Cigar City as well. Let me know if I can help with your search for the same.

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Good luck. I live in Washington State (2 states away and only a ~13 hour drive from the brewery ) and its really hard to find here. They just dont make that much of it. Or hoard it all for Cali.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
malevolent
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

http://russianriverbrewing.com/where-to-get-our-beers/

Primary: nothing :(
Secondary: nothing :(
Long Aging: Flanders Red (to be bottled this summer)

Old 07-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Try ordering online, I've gotten Pliny from Blackwell's Wine and Spirits before. Well worth the shipping, it's amazing beer.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Good luck man. Hell, I live in Sacramento...90 minutes from the brewery, and it's still not always easy to find.

I was at a liquor store the other day. I was looking through their beers and the clerk struck up a conversation with me. After a few minutes he realized I knew a little bit about beer and decided it was safe to tell me that he had a case of Pliny in the back. I bought a couple of bottles, but honestly that's how it is around here. Mom and pop shops will order it and hide it for their regular customers. It's like going into a speakeasy for Pliny. Too funny.

On the flip side of that, I've gone into hole-in-the-wall pizza joints in San Francisco that have it on frickin' tap! Seems like a lot of their production run funnels into the bay area.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
jkendrick
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

My personal suggestion is to wait until you can get it fresh. We get it here in Colorado, though very sporadically. Ive had it as young as two weeks in the bottle and it was phenomenal. Up to a month, it is still exceptional. After that though, it is still a fine beer, great even. But you will struggle to see why it is so hyped. I mean, it probably won't live up to the hype regardless. But this is a beer to drink fresh! I just brewed a clone and would say the same was definitely true.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
malevolent
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICWiener View Post
Good luck man. Hell, I live in Sacramento...90 minutes from the brewery, and it's still not always easy to find.

I was at a liquor store the other day. I was looking through their beers and the clerk struck up a conversation with me. After a few minutes he realized I knew a little bit about beer and decided it was safe to tell me that he had a case of Pliny in the back. I bought a couple of bottles, but honestly that's how it is around here. Mom and pop shops will order it and hide it for their regular customers. It's like going into a speakeasy for Pliny. Too funny.

On the flip side of that, I've gone into hole-in-the-wall pizza joints in San Francisco that have it on frickin' tap! Seems like a lot of their production run funnels into the bay area.
I think most Whole Foods around there carry their sours and Pliny

Primary: nothing :(
Secondary: nothing :(
Long Aging: Flanders Red (to be bottled this summer)

Old 07-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
I think most Whole Foods around there carry their sours and Pliny
I can get Damnation, Supplication, Redemption, and Sanctification pretty much any time at my local Whole Foods...but they have never carried Pliny. Probably a regional thing.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I called around a few places. They said they have a keg of it but no bottles......very tempting. No one has it. They said my best bet is a bar if i only want a taste.(beer)Day trip might be nice. I might have to try that online shipping way

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I think the distributors make the stores that want to carry Pliny carry their sours first. I know a local bottle shop has said as much as well. They carry a bunch of other RR beers (like the hard to move sours...) but they get to carry Pliny on a regular basis (in very limited quantities). The distributors are tricky, and do hang out in the grey area.

Kmcogar, just bring a growler, you need to drink it ASAP anyway!

Quick Reply