Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Finally kegging now. Has anyone else noticed a big improvement in flavor (like me)?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
-TH-
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Finally kegging now. Has anyone else noticed a big improvement in flavor (like me)?

Wow, what a difference. Even my beer that's 8+ weeks in bottles don't taste as good as 1 week in the keg. Maybe I had an issue with my bottling process who knows. I guess its just one more reason on top of many others that I'm sold on kegging. I absolutely love it - and I was a pretty die hard bottler.

Bottling equipment to be up for sale soon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
moosetav
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

To be honest, I noticed a difference too. I could never get carbing in bottles down. I tried weighing the sugars in grams and measuring exact volume, temp control, time, everything I could think to do. It seemed to be always a crap shoot. Sometimes super carbed, sometimes flat. Flavor was deffinitely affected. Kegging is so easy. Always a nice creamy head in just a couple weeks. Flavor has deffinitely rounded out with proper carb levels.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
IFP
Recipes 

+1 to this. I think less handling and less waiting = fresher, cleaner beer. I also suspect bottling leads to more oxidation due to exposure. Kegs FTW!

Old 12-30-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Funny. Someone pointed out to me at our local competition that most of the winners were bottle conditioned beers as opposed to bottles filled from kegs.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
teej_810
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i've had some pretty good beers that have aged in the bottle for months but nothing beats kegging. when i give beer out and have to clean and sanitize bottles to fill i'm reminded how much i don't miss that process

Old 12-30-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I agree. I think it's funny how beginners usually start out bottling. I mean it makes sense from a financial point of view, but bottling is a much more advanced procedure. Bottling is the most crucial part of the process, IMO. It's the easiest place to pick up unwanted bacteria. Even if you picked up something while racking to the keg, most of us cool the keg right away, which would inhibit any bacteria from working in the beer. When you bottle, you need to let the beers sit for a few weeks at 70° which allows any bacteria to settle in and start eating sugars that the yeast couldn't. How many times have we heard "It tasted great at bottling, but now it has this off flavor"? I think more brewers that bottle end up getting bottling infections and not knowing that's what it is and attributing off flavors to other things like extract, water, ingredients, etc.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:53 PM   #7
culturejam
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think kegging is better for certain styles. The refermentation during bottling does change the flavor a bit, and I think some styles benefit from the flavor addition, while others are better with the cleaner taste of artificially injected CO2.

For example, I think the stronger Belgians are better bottle conditioned, but something like a Kölsch or Cream Ale tastes better on tap.

It's all personal preference, though, of course.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Funny. Someone pointed out to me at our local competition that most of the winners were bottle conditioned beers as opposed to bottles filled from kegs.
I'm not sure I believe that. For one thing, nobody has the data to say that conclusively as nobody collects it. For another thing almost all of the prolific competition winners fill from kegs (I know one that does not and he also brews extract). Is that to say kegging is better? No. It's more like the all grain vs extract thing. The best brewers on balance happen to have been brewing longer and you tend to pick up all grain and kegging over time.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:57 AM   #9
Nic0
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've never kegged before... I will say, though, that MOST commercial beers that I've had, the bottled version wasn't as good as the stuff on tap (assuming they had both and I had tried both).

However, when I finally move to kegging... I'm probably not going to pitch the bottling stuff. There are times I'd like to share the beer with a few people but not want to have to take the keg to where they are. This past Thanksgiving, for example, I took a few bottles accross the country with my for some extended family to try. There's no way I would have stuck a keg in the Mustang, gas tank, etc....and try to keep it cold for almost 700 miles.

But when everyone comes to my place, Kegging FTW! (whenever I finallly get around to getting the stuff!)

Nic

Bottled: a strange yet somehow award winning pale ale
Primary Fermenter: Experimental porter
Kegged: Nothing, as I have no kegging equipment
Favorite Commercial Beers: Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, Young's D.C. Stout, Choc Last Laugh
Upscale equipment project slowly progressing.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:06 AM   #10
Fid
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

+1 I've done 5 batches of beer, first 3 in bottle and the most recent 2 kegged, and the kegged beers are by far the best tasting I've produced even without much, if any, aging.

Quick Reply