Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2010, 03:10 AM   #1
BMWMK2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PENNSAUKEN NJ
Posts: 194
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been brewing beer for 6 months now, every beer i learn something new. i made an american lager kit, a hoegarden clone, sam adams summer ale clone, all of these were extract kits, and all had an astringent flavor. then i did a mini mash chocolate stout that had a very little astringent flavor. then i switched to all grain, and made a lawnmower lager, had a big astringent flavor. than i made the "triple hopped miller lite clone recipe" on this forum, but it had so much cascade hops in it to tell if all of the astringent was gone.

but then in made a blue moon clone from AHS and i am drinking the first bottle a week early and NO ASTRINGENT FLAVOR AT ALL!!!! I figured it was from my temps being too high with the grains. but MAN!!! i was starting to get discouraged!
I LOVE IT !!! IM HOOKED, CANT WAIT TO TASTE THE SUMMER ALE CLONE THATS IN THE FERMENTOR!!!!!

JUST HAD TO SHARE
THX

__________________
BMWMK2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 03:13 AM   #2
curlyfat
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 4,397
Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Congrats! The first beer that tastes "solid" is VERY exciting!
Now get ready for years of obsessing over little problems that no one else notices....

__________________
curlyfat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
billy915
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: El Paso, tx
Posts: 121
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Now get ready for years of obsessing over little problems that no one else notices....
Agreed....the most critical person is always yourself. Once your pallet gets going, it can be hard to enjoy another beer without looking snobby...I can now tell when a beer has been stored properly or improperly just by the taste. But thats a good thing, right?
__________________
billy915 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
MajorTom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMK2 View Post
I have been brewing beer for 6 months now, every beer i learn something new. i made an american lager kit, a hoegarden clone, sam adams summer ale clone, all of these were extract kits, and all had an astringent flavor. then i did a mini mash chocolate stout that had a very little astringent flavor. then i switched to all grain, and made a lawnmower lager, had a big astringent flavor. than i made the "triple hopped miller lite clone recipe" on this forum, but it had so much cascade hops in it to tell if all of the astringent was gone.

but then in made a blue moon clone from AHS and i am drinking the first bottle a week early and NO ASTRINGENT FLAVOR AT ALL!!!! I figured it was from my temps being too high with the grains. but MAN!!! i was starting to get discouraged!
I LOVE IT !!! IM HOOKED, CANT WAIT TO TASTE THE SUMMER ALE CLONE THATS IN THE FERMENTOR!!!!!

JUST HAD TO SHARE
THX
Could you elaborate a little more on what you think was causing your problem? Was it mashing too high? Sparge temps too high? PH level of mash or sparge?
__________________
MajorTom is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
BMWMK2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PENNSAUKEN NJ
Posts: 194
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
Could you elaborate a little more on what you think was causing your problem? Was it mashing too high? Sparge temps too high? PH level of mash or sparge?
I think that on the extract batches the steeping water was to high temp and on the allgrain batch it was the sparge temp.
im not completely sure, i did however use the 5.2 ph buffer on this batch thats in the fermentor now and i also treated the water with a campten tablet, so we will see how it comes out. the one im drinking now was not treated with these additives so that leads me to belive it was the water temps.
__________________
BMWMK2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally feedbag Introductions 4 04-22-2009 10:33 PM
Finally all set up nairb80 Home Brewing Photo Forum 10 05-10-2008 01:51 PM
Finally my First AG!!! Big "A" All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 04-19-2008 11:57 PM
Well we finally tried it Buddykin Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 05-17-2007 10:11 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS