The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Final phase of my new setup all assembled, u jelly?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
Rundownhouse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Are those jacketed? If not, is the whole room temp controlled? The only thing that screams warm ferment temps more than an uncontrolled conical is three of them sitting shoulder-to-shoulder.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #12
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2945 Times on 1871 Posts
Likes Given: 2489

Jelly.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #13
mrwizard0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

If you ever feel like upgrading and throwing those away. I will take them off your hands. In other words, I'm jealous

Old 04-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #14
nickharbour
Troll
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rundownhouse View Post
Are those jacketed? If not, is the whole room temp controlled? The only thing that screams warm ferment temps more than an uncontrolled conical is three of them sitting shoulder-to-shoulder.
Apartment is set to 65 degrees and very stable. have thermometers on each. I would be shocked, *shocked* if one vigorous fermentation produced enough heat to cause a problem in and adjacent fermenter.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #15
Teromous
Beer Gnome

Recipes 

Liked 268 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I can't tell by the picture but they look like they're sitting on a counter? Are those the 7 gallon ones, or am I not seeing the picture right? I was thinking about getting a conical but I want to get something that can hold about 10 gallons and can be placed in a lagering freezer. I saw that you have airlocks instead of blowoff tubes, does the krausen not get too high in them? Do the tri-clamps work pretty well? Congrats on the babies!

Old 04-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #16
nickharbour
Troll
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teromous View Post
I can't tell by the picture but they look like they're sitting on a counter? Are those the 7 gallon ones, or am I not seeing the picture right? I was thinking about getting a conical but I want to get something that can hold about 10 gallons and can be placed in a lagering freezer. I saw that you have airlocks instead of blowoff tubes, does the krausen not get too high in them? Do the tri-clamps work pretty well? Congrats on the babies!
yes they are 7 gallons each and sitting on my kitchen counter. Its nice that these look cool because I don't have much closet space for fermenters.

I have two blow-off tube assembly kits standing by. actually the middle fermenter had a blow-off attached for the first week and now its got an airlock. I don't need to remove the lid or anything to switch between the two. I typically put 5.5 - 6 gallons in there at a time so there is a good amount of room for krausen and haven't really required the blow-off tube yet. There is also a pressure release valve at the top that pops at 4psi for safety.

The tri-clamps are friggin awesome, definitely recommend for anyone going blichmann. I can disassemble, clean and reassemble the entire unit in about 10-15 minutes.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #17
topend
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's pretty sweet. Nice work.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #18
Lost Pirate
Recipes 

Very nice!

Old 04-23-2011, 11:17 PM   #19
joety

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickharbour View Post
These are all blichmann (I probably put one of john blichmann's kids through college by now). I've never seen one of the morebeer ones in person but I'd be interested to see how it compares. Is the the tank seamless? I like morebeers head/cold controlled unit but for the price I think I can probably convert one of my blichmanns (if I ever decide to lager)
I think it's seamless, but not sure how to check. The fit/finish is outstanding. I agree that the temp controlled units are too pricey. I am planning on getting a glass door fridge at some point for better temp control. My basement is good for at least 9 months out of the year.

Secondaries - Sunday Night Hoppy Pale Ale
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: American Wheat/Rye, Nut Brown Ale, Munich Helles, Belgian Stout, Resurrection Milk Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Baltic Porter

Quick Reply