Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Filtering......

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #21
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by makomachine View Post
I'm not hating on filtering - as I haven't sold mine and may someday need to pull it out of that "toolbox". I'm just saying kettle finings, a good hot and cold break, and worst case gelatin in the keg have got me brilliantly clear beer without the extra transfer. Completely agree that it's just another tool, just stating that poo pooing finings and touting filter superiority doesn't make sense to me personally.

No filter touched this beer as example - only way to be more brilliant is to take the beer out.

That's the Stone etched logo on the other side of the glass - along with my fingerprint.
Impressive!

I guess that I have found something that's been working for me and haven't looked much beyond that. I still consider myself a new brewer. I'm going to start looking at other ways to clear my beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #22
gr8shandini
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

Also not hating on filtering, just saying there are easier and cheaper ways for a homebrewer to do the same thing. No pics, but I get the same results as mako - beer as clear as any commercial brew I've had.

By the way, I'm glad you told us that was a thumb print. I was about to say that there was a little haze to it.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #23
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface

Impressive!

I guess that I have found something that's been working for me and haven't looked much beyond that. I still consider myself a new brewer. I'm going to start looking at other ways to clear my beer.
Don't remove the filter from your arsenal - you nailed your point and I completely agree with the fact that beers that should be clear commercially, should be clear in homebrew. If you approach every problem with 'what's the least invasive way to get my desired result' your beer will get better. I learn something new every day on this forum - and still have a lot to learn. If you approach every beer with that mindset, your beers can only get better. Being that you've successfully filtered your beer to desired result, and I'm 0-1, I have a lot to learn from you in that process. Prost!
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 08-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #24
NTOLERANCE
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Those that are filtering, are you using a pump or gravity siphon, or co2 pressure from keg to keg?

They call him easy.....easy brewer.....

Old 08-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #25
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTOLERANCE View Post
Those that are filtering, are you using a pump or gravity siphon, or co2 pressure from keg to keg?
I use CO2 from keg to keg. I can usually start out around 7psi and get decent flow. I have had kegs that take well over an hour to filter, some only take 20-30 min. It all depends on how much stuff is in suspension to begin with. It can get frustrating when you're at 13psi and not moving much beer and the plate filters start to leak at that pressure.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:57 AM   #26
itsbeeryo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTOLERANCE View Post
Keg 2 Keg here.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #27
DagoBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I just started filtering at a fellow home brewers suggestion. I think i have the wrong filters or something cuz my beers i have filtered dont seem clearer than before i ran them thru the filter. I used a 5 micron filter and it seems that it didnt change a thing. Am i doing something wrong here?

Quick Reply