Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Filtering......

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 02:22 AM   #11
Zymurgist05
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I saw a Bell's bumper sticker the other day... If God intended for us to filter our beer, he wouldn't have created us with a liver. I got a chuckle out of that.

In my opinion, I see no reason to filter beer if proper processes and techniques are used.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 03:05 AM   #12
Buna_Bere
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The best part of filtering is drinking super fresh beer. Another thing that any chef will tell you, is that we eat with our eyes, nothing looks more refreshing to me than a crystal clear beer. Also I'm not into adding seaweed, fish bladders, gelatin, or plastics to anything if I have the choice. Not to mention waitng for a beer to clear, no thanks, I do not have the patience.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:09 AM   #13
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buna_Bere
The best part of filtering is drinking super fresh beer. Another thing that any chef will tell you, is that we eat with our eyes, nothing looks more refreshing to me than a crystal clear beer. Also I'm not into adding seaweed, fish bladders, gelatin, or plastics to anything if I have the choice. Not to mention waitng for a beer to clear, no thanks, I do not have the patience.
Time clarifies all beer if you are doing it right. Patience isn't required - brew more often.
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 08-15-2012, 03:20 AM   #14
Buna_Bere
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by makomachine View Post
Time clarifies all beer if you are doing it right. Patience isn't required - brew more often.
You can wait, more filter pads for me.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #15
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Clarity is an important beer characteristic for me. I was getting frustrated with my beers, especially light lagers, not clearing that well. I bought a filter and a number of 1 micron pads from Morebeer.com I used the setup one time and noticed a big difference between the filtered and unfiltered versions (it was a special better or ESB). I liked the flavour of the unfiltered version a bit better.

Since then I have improved some aspects of my process and learned more about using gelatin and other clearing agents (Biofine Clear is one I use now). I also generally try to use the most flocculant yeast that will work for a particular style. But I also have a huge amount of beer in my pipeline so I am never needing to turn something around so quickly that I need to filter.

So I would say there is nothing wrong per se with filtering home brew; I'm just glad I don't have to do it regularly. If it's built into your process and allows you to turn around your beer quickly, keep doing what works. If I really needed to go two weeks grain to glass, I wouldn't hesitate to filter--although I would probably go down to 0.5 micron. Right now I think I can get under three weeks grain to glass (kegging) with a flocculant yeast and Biofine anyway.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 08-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #16
gr8shandini
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buna_Bere View Post
The whole point of fining agents is that they don't end up in the beer. I suppose if you had a strong moral opposition to using animal products, I could understand, but there are vegan alternatives. If filtering works great for you, cool, but I get kind of irked when people suggest that you're adulterating a beer by adding a fining agent.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #17
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8shandini

The whole point of fining agents is that they don't end up in the beer. I suppose if you had a strong moral opposition to using animal products, I could understand, but there are vegan alternatives. If filtering works great for you, cool, but I get kind of irked when people suggest that you're adulterating a beer by adding a fining agent.
Or that running your entire batch through a paper filter media, made from who knows what process, is somehow less 'invasive' than fining agents that predate plastic. To each his/her own - but the extra transfer and sanitation steps alone just isn't worth it to me.

Prost!

Old 08-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #18
CharlosCarlies
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Time clarifies all beer if you are doing it right.
True, but there are definitely certain strains like WLP029 that are notoriously bad flocculators. Sure, it'll clear eventually but sometimes I just can't/don't want to wait that long!

Old 08-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #19
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 309

I believe you guys when you say beer will clear on its own. However, without using finings my beer seems to only get so clear. I've had beer cold for several months and it is still a little murky. Not chill haze. I filter the beer and I can read a newspaper through a pint glass. So I sort of wonder, when you say beer clears naturally, how clear is "clear"? I think our standard of what that means may be different.

One of my regular beers is a kristalweizen. That is a style that is typically filtered. I ferment that beer for 10 days, cold crash for at least 2 days. At that point the beer is pretty damn clear. Then I filter it and it is brilliantly clear and is a huge crowd pleaser for me at my monthly poker game and other events. People absolutely notice that it looks like a BMC in color and clarity. I think that allows them to really taste it without preconceived notions about homebrew. I am personally convinced that it makes a huge difference in the way the beer is received by the non-initiated homebrew drinker.

Not sure why people are hating on filtering. It is one tool in some brewer's toolboxes and one that does the job it is supposed to do. There are other tools a brewer can use to get to the same place, but as with many things there is a trade off.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #20
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface
I believe you guys when you say beer will clear on its own. However, without using finings my beer seems to only get so clear. I've had beer cold for several months and it is still a little murky. Not chill haze. I filter the beer and I can read a newspaper through a pint glass. So I sort of wonder, when you say beer clears naturally, how clear is "clear"? I think our standard of what that means may be different.

One of my regular beers is a kristalweizen. That is a style that is typically filtered. I ferment that beer for 10 days, cold crash for at least 2 days. At that point the beer is pretty damn clear. Then I filter it and it is brilliantly clear and is a huge crowd pleaser for me at my monthly poker game and other events. People absolutely notice that it looks like a BMC in color and clarity. I think that allows them to really taste it without preconceived notions about homebrew. I am personally convinced that it makes a huge difference in the way the beer is received by the non-initiated homebrew drinker.

Not sure why people are hating on filtering. It is one tool in some brewer's toolboxes and one that does the job it is supposed to do. There are other tools a brewer can use to get to the same place, but as with many things there is a trade off.
I'm not hating on filtering - as I haven't sold mine and may someday need to pull it out of that "toolbox". I'm just saying kettle finings, a good hot and cold break, and worst case gelatin in the keg have got me brilliantly clear beer without the extra transfer. Completely agree that it's just another tool, just stating that poo pooing finings and touting filter superiority doesn't make sense to me personally.

No filter touched this beer as example - only way to be more brilliant is to take the beer out.

That's the Stone etched logo on the other side of the glass - along with my fingerprint.
image-2044718312.jpg  

Quick Reply