Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Filtering

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
BilltownBandit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Filtering

I have considered buying a filter. Anyone have any advice on what to get or on if it makes that bignof difference. Also, what stage does one perform filtration?

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind." -Humphrey Bogart

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I bought one and used it once. Kettle / secondary finings, appropriate hot/cold break, and it's really not necessary. The only beer l ever poured down the drain ran through that filter - although it wasn't the filtering that ultimately was my problem. Personally, not worth it in my opinion.

Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 09-29-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I purchased a set up that goes from keg to keg with CO2 pushing. Used it twice. Waste of money.

Yes, it filters wonderfully, but whirfloc and cold crashing do the same thing for much cheaper. My filtering did nothing for chill haze either.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:15 AM   #4
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

hahaha I JUST filtered my 1st beer and thought it did a decent job (only a 5 micron filter). I had a muddy, cloudy, chunky pumpkin ale that needed some love. I have less than $46 invested in 2 housings, 2-5 micron and 1-1 micron filter set. If you want the site and link I can dig it up.

I seem to get some large "floaters" in my ales. While this doesn't really bother me most of the time, in the instance of my pumpkin ale it was driving me crazy. Will I filter every beer? probably not but now that I am joining the CCPF (Completely closed pressurized fermentation) folks I will be transferring from keg to keg anyway so I can filter if I feel like it OR I can pack that housing full of whole leaf hops and randal into the keg, then swap it into the serving line and randal out; also a bigger PITA that what it is probably worth but I like having the ability to do it.

For what it is worth I can make good beer with a can of LME, dry yeast, city water, old hops and some pet bottles with screw on caps but I like to have the ability to brew AG, mill my own malt, make a yeast starter, force carb and serve from a tap. You are going to do what you have already decided to do no matter what we would chime in about anyways...lol.

Quick Reply