New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > To filter or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

Default To filter or not?

I made another Centennial Blonde. A few things changed for this batch. First, I now have a keggle to brew in. I can't see how much of a difference this could make, but I mention it in case I am retarded and can't see the obvious.

Also I may have forgotten the Irish Moss. I brewed 2 batches that dya and I am unsure if it was the Blonde or the Stout that got the irish moss. At any rate, I have forgotten it more than once before and not had a problem.

I purchased Golden Promise malt to try it out. I thought a Blonde would be a good beer to try because I have brewed a few times before and would have a good idea of what the difference would be.

Ferm temps were very good for this batch.

Sanitation was normal.

It just doesn't seem to want to settle out in the keg! I primaried for 3 weeks, as normal, and then transferred to keg and placed in kegerator. I would normally crash cool before kegging bottling, but I figured what's the point? If it's in the keg it will settle quick and I can pour the yeast out in the first few pints, right?

So it's still cloudy and although I don't mind the flavor, I would prefer it to look a lot clearer. And I think I can taste the yeast hanging around in there. I surely don't want to serve this to other people.

Should I invest in the filter system, just in case this happens again??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 805 Times on 584 Posts
Likes Given: 1820

Homer, I'm being even more obtuse then normal today, sorry. Are you asking whether you should buy a filter system or let the beer clear and the yeast settle out in the keg when you chill it?

Old 09-28-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
jordanpace
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

how about a little gelatin in the keg to help it clear up

Old 09-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
Starderup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

IMO, filtering is not needed. Letting the beer sit in the primary for a minimum of 3 weeks, up to 6, careful racking, and Irish Moss/gelatin is all you need.
Even with a beer with lots of protein, like a wheat beer, I have produced crystal clear beers using those simple steps.

<priceless quote>My dog dropped his bone in my fermentor while I wasn't looking.</end quote>

Old 09-28-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers View Post
Homer, I'm being even more obtuse then normal today, sorry. Are you asking whether you should buy a filter system or let the beer clear and the yeast settle out in the keg when you chill it?
Sorry, the question is whether or not to buy a filter for just this kind of event.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starderup View Post
IMO, filtering is not needed. Letting the beer sit in the primary for a minimum of 3 weeks, up to 6, careful racking, and Irish Moss/gelatin is all you need.
Even with a beer with lots of protein, like a wheat beer, I have produced crystal clear beers using those simple steps.
Normally I'd agree, but I may have only forgotten the Irish Moss, and in my experience, it can help, but I have still produced pretty clear beers when I have forgotten it. Usually cold crashing helps a ton. It's not even a wheat beer!

I have thought about using gelatin, but have not tried it yet. I poured another glass last night and even my wife thought it looked gross. Very muddy. I'm not talking about a little chill haze here!

Old 09-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #7
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Gelatin works wonders. My pumpkin ale had 4lbs of pumpkin in the mash, I didn't even use a secondary and it's crystal clear. It sat 3 weeks in the primary, then cold crashed it for 4 days, then added 1 tablespoon of gelatin that was proofed in 170* water. Two days later I bottled it, and you could read a magazine through it.

Cold crash it, and add gelatin, if that still doesn't get you clear beer, maybe then think about a filter.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Filter setups are inexpensive (< $50) and do wonders for reducing the wait time from kegged-to-drinkable.

1 x 10" filter housing with 1/4" NPT ports
2 x 1/4" 45 degree flare fitting
1 x 1 micron (absolute) reusable filter
1 x 5 micron (nominal) reusable filter

Filters are reusable 10+ times. Just back-flush, soak in PBW for 24hrs, and rinse. I always dunk the clean filters in 160F water for 5 minutes and sanitize (Starsan) prior to use.

Works great every time.

You can upgrade to SS flare fittings, but the short contact time will not attack the brass fittings.

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 09-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

I have thought about gelatin, but how does it work for carb and kegged beer? Any foaming issues?

I'd hate to spend the $$ on a filter setup considering I am looking to get a ferm chamber fridge and some RIMS parts, but mostly because it's rare for my beer to not clear up with proper brewing process. The 2 times it's happened I just can't say why it ended up as cloudy as it has. The filter would be only for those times.

I've read that they filter elements are only usable one time, but I had wondered about reusing after sterilizing like you mentioned. That might make it worth the cost to get into it. A filter or two would last me years.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Well, I'm thinking about trying it. I might swing by Lowes or Menards and see what they have. Seems to me they had a few different systems there before.

What's the word on filtering carbonated beer? Any concern, or does it work the same as flat?

Quick Reply