The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Film on beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
Dougan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Film on beer?

I brewed a beer and all seemed well when i racked to secondary but now i'm getting ready to bottle and there's a strange white film on top of the beer. You guys think I'm infected? What do you think I should do? It doesn't seem to smell abnormal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

How soon after you pitched you yeast did you rack to secondary? I think you racked too soon and you you have fermentation still going on and it is making a krauzen...and I definitely would not even consider bottling unless you want bottle bombs.

Did you use your hydrometer to tell you when to move it to secondary? DId you take 2 readings over three days to see if the gravity was staying the same?

If I'm right and you racked too soon...then I would leave it alone for at least 2 weeks...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
Dougan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah i would worry about that but i left it for a couple weeks before racking because fermentation was a bit slow. Gravity now is my expected FG.

Last edited by Dougan; 01-11-2009 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Mixed "OG" with "FG". Same thing, right?

Old 01-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

It sounds like mold growing on the top. You'll probably just fine with gently racking out from under the mold, leaving all that white stuff behind.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougan View Post
yeah i would worry about that but i left it for a couple weeks before racking because fermentation was a bit slow. Gravity now is my expected OG.

I've still seen krauzens form after racking even if it's been a couple weeks in ther primary before racking...just the act of agitating the beer kicks the yeasties into gear...The other normal film I have seen happens druing dry hopping...the oil from the hops trap rising co2 and forms a scary looking, but still normal film. Were you dry hopping?

Did you have a rise in temperature? That could kick the yeasts a bit as well.

Take some pics so we can see it. Honestly without good pics anything anyone here says will just be conjecture...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-10-2009, 10:54 PM   #6
Dougan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Old 01-10-2009, 10:55 PM   #7
Dougan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

the foam's kind of everywhere because of me moving it. It was originally just a small film on the very top.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
Dougan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

<mesage deleted>

Old 01-11-2009, 12:34 AM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

From that angle to me it just looks like fizzy yeast colonies that sometimes get kicked up from the bottom with the co2...they come to the surface and fizz around a bit...But like I said, it really is hard to tell...

If it tastes and smells fine..then rack under it at bottling time...

Old 01-12-2009, 02:27 AM   #10
Dougan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I can see why you think that by the picture-- it's not really that great of a picture, though. The film itself looks a lot like pictures of infected batches I've seen when I googled it. I definitely don't know what I'm talking about but just based on the pictures I've seen I really think it's the same thing as what I saw in those pictures.

I racked under the film into my bottling bucket and tasted a sample. It tasted as I expected the batch to turn out when I brewed it. So I bottled it with my normal bottling sugar... and put all the bottles in a plastic bag and put that plastic bag in a plastic bin which now resides in my bathroom . We'll see how it turns out. Thank you for the input guys.

Quick Reply