Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > A few standard measuring questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Cazamodo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A few standard measuring questions.

Ok, so I'm in the UK, and know that UK gallons are different to US gallons. I assume most the 5gal recepes I find are 5 US gallons?

Also, Ive been searching for recipes on UK sites, am i right to assumes these are UK imperial gallons?

Another question, I'm currently looking for a stock pot to move to all grain, but in the UK i can only find them sized in litres and Quarts(sp?). Im looking for a 6-7 gal pot for 5 gal batches, how many litres/quarts is that?

Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
cfonnes
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 5

4 quarts in a gallon, in the US anyway.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

It's all here and prob a bunch of other places. Found it by typing 'conversion' in google.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 08-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
It's all here and prob a bunch of other places. Found it by typing 'conversion' in google.
Google has a units calculator built in. If you Google "1 gallon to quart" (or pretty much any other conversion) Google will return "1 US gallon = 4 US quarts" before the search results.

Doesn't have to be 1, either; you can actually use it to do your conversions. For instance, googling ".75 oz to g" returns ".75 ounces = 21.2621423 grams" before the search results.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 08-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
Vuarra
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

5 US Gallons is 19L. You would want a 24 - 28 L pot to make a "5 gallon" batch.

Use the website that SpanishCastleAle gave, but for quick reference, 1 USG ~ 3¾ Litres.

1 real Gallon is 4½ litres.

When with the United States wake up and realize they, along with Myanmar, are the only ones who do NOT use the Metric system?

I think we should stop trade with them until they start using the same measuring system as the rest of the world. <off soap box>

(just pissed off as I have to use inches and millimetres interchangeably in my job as I ship to Europe, Canada and the US).

EDIT: LMAO V

Fermenting: Real Ale, Extract Lager (with WLP830), India Pale Ale

Conditioning: Nothing

Drinking: Pale Ale from the keg

Last edited by Vuarra; 08-07-2010 at 03:53 PM.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerH View Post
Google has a units calculator built in. If you Google "1 gallon to quart" (or pretty much any other conversion) Google will return "1 US gallon = 4 US quarts" before the search results.

Doesn't have to be 1, either; you can actually use it to do your conversions. For instance, googling ".75 oz to g" returns ".75 ounces = 21.2621423 grams" before the search results.
Yea but does it have a BAC and a Chinese Zodiac calculator?

EDIT: Vuarra I agree about the metric system. It's Myanmar's fault tho.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Quick Reply