Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Fermenting again after 3 weeks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
toastermm
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fermenting again after 3 weeks

Hi everyone, I have never seen this, but after 3 weeks (1 week fermenting, 2 weeks in secondary), one of my beers has started to bubble again yesterday.

I brewed on 7-30 Cheesefood's Vanilla Caramel Creme Ale, and reracked after the bubbles stopped to a secondary (8-04), had a day of bubbling again, and then it was silent.

Yesterday, the secondary started to bubble again, about 1 rhino fart every 3 seconds. Here is a picture of the fermenter.

The hydrometer readings are as follows:

OG: 1.044 (Didn't quite get it high enough)
Sample gravity after reracking on 8-04: 1.021
Today's Gravity: 1.020

I'm guessing since the final gravity is 'supposed' to be around 1.014, that some freak yeast thing happened and now it will finally drop the gravity more so.

Edit: Forgot the question...

1- Is this normal?

2- Should I let it be?

3- Contamination or not? (While taking the reading, it smells great!)

Bottled: Quad, Cherry Dubbel, Sour Brown, Flanders Red, 12-12-12 Wee Heavy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

#1 sound like you racked to early. Did you have steady SG readings for a few days before you racked to secondary. That 1.021 is very high for a beer to be done.

#2 Let it be. Just let it set for a another week. THEN take a reading and see if its close to the est FG.

#3 Just be clean. And its to early to tell.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arneba28 View Post
#1 sound like you racked to early. Did you have steady SG readings for a few days before you racked to secondary. That 1.021 is very high for a beer to be done.

#2 Let it be. Just let it set for a another week. THEN take a reading and see if its close to the est FG.

#3 Just be clean. And its to early to tell.
+1 on this!!!

ANy number of "normal" things could have caused it...Temp shift kicking up some more fermentation, a stalled fermentation starting again, or simply a build up of trapped co2 from the bottom...or brewery poltergeists.

That's one of the reasons for waiting a few weeks before racking or bottling. If you leave it in primary for 3-4 weeks, then it is likely that fermentation has completed.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-20-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
toastermm

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
If you leave it in primary for 3-4 weeks, then it is likely that fermentation has completed.
The reason I don't like to wait too long is because I'm worried about the dead yeast cells decaying and making 'off-flavors' in the beer. Although I do admit I moved it to the secondary pretty fast. I can't help it! It smelled so great! I can't wait!

I will test it again in a few days, and then again to see if the gravity has moved.

Thanks for the replies.

Bottled: Quad, Cherry Dubbel, Sour Brown, Flanders Red, 12-12-12 Wee Heavy.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastermm View Post
The reason I don't like to wait too long is because I'm worried about the dead yeast cells decaying and making 'off-flavors' in the beer. Although I do admit I moved it to the secondary pretty fast. I can't help it! It smelled so great! I can't wait!

I will test it again in a few days, and then again to see if the gravity has moved.

Thanks for the replies.
That's a brewer's bogeyman, n00b. I leave mine in for a month, a lot of us leave it for 3-4 weeks.. Up to a month actually makes the beer taste and look better, the yeast clean up after themselves after fermentation is complete.

This sums it up pretty nicely http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...19&postcount=3

As well as this quote from How to brew..

Quote:
As a final note on this subject, I should mention that by brewing with healthy yeast in a well-prepared wort, many experienced brewers, myself included, have been able to leave a beer in the primary fermenter for several months without any evidence of autolysis.
Or this thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=70438

So, since you probably jumped the gun and racked to early, letting your beer sit would be a good thing.

This is a hobbie about patience padwan...

Here's some more reading about the benefits of patience. (these are about bottle conditioning)

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...&postcount=101

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=73254

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply