Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Fermented Cactus Juice?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #21
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1909 Times on 1680 Posts
Likes Given: 1414

Had to bump this one,as a buddy & I on here are researching the drink of our ancestors called tizwin,pronounced tizween. Kiowa,Apache,& Commanche are all of the athabascan people who crossed the bearing straight land bridge into North America some 35,000 years ago. tiswin is the mexican native counterpart of the drink that used corn & cactus,or North American aloe bulb sliced,roasted,& boiled.
The corn beer our ancestors new was dried on the stalk,then soaked till sprouted,& dried in the sun. Then ground (I think cracking it in a mill would be interesting) Boiled till reduced about 50%. Then cold water added to that. It was then dumped in a barrel,& the process repeated till the barrel was full.
We're wondering what sort of lambic yeast to use to ferment it in the modern context??? Still waiting for answers from Midwest,but we've def got their interest. We just wanna pit bbq some food,drink Tizwin,& speak of the old ones. Kinda our way of honoring our ancestors with something unknown to the white side of our family.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #22
TW1Kell
Recipes 

anahtaho wahtassa may! (It doesn't get any better than this!)....what he said! We have the urge to produce the old drink. Anybody have any input to aid us in our search for information? It'll be appreciated and acted upon.

The Fox

I plan to slide in sideways, all scarred-up, fall off of my old Shovelhead 74 or Flathead 45 and holler, "Woo-hoo! Thanks for the ride!"

Cooper's Lawnmower Lager: Mixed 4 Feb
Cooper's Irish Stout: Bottled 5 Feb
Coopers' Lawnmower Lager: Bottled 15 Jan (only a few left)

Old 01-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #23
TW1Kell
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
how cool is this:

"First, they soaked the corn overnight in water. They dug a long trench and lined it with grass, placed the soaked corn in the trench, and covered it with another layer of grass. Sometimes they covered the whole with earth or a blanket. After sprinkling the corn with water morning and evening for ten days, during which it sprouted, they took it out, ground it with their grinding stones (mano and metate), and the boiled it for five hours. Finally, they strained off the liquid and set it aside. After about twenty-four hours, when it stopped bubbling, it was ready to drink." (From Geronimo by Angie Debo, p. 22)
That's how I remember my Granpa doing it, when I was about 8. Yes, it is a mild drunk with a hell of a hangover. Gramma was PO'd! But, Granpa showed me an "Old Way" thru this process...

The Fox

I plan to slide in sideways, all scarred-up, fall off of my old Shovelhead 74 or Flathead 45 and holler, "Woo-hoo! Thanks for the ride!"

Cooper's Lawnmower Lager: Mixed 4 Feb
Cooper's Irish Stout: Bottled 5 Feb
Coopers' Lawnmower Lager: Bottled 15 Jan (only a few left)

Old 01-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #24
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1909 Times on 1680 Posts
Likes Given: 1414

I was wondering also,that another link described a similar drink to Tizwin that had spices added to it that was said to resemble an English beer. Columbus' log,I think...Gotta look at my e-mail again. It was a few page exerpt from another book.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #25
MzAnnie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Great Morning...This is my first post, ever. While watching Geronimo there was a blurb about tiswan, and that it was a fermented cactus fruit beverage. This was the first wine I had ever made, and this was the first time I had known there was a name for it. The only reason I made it, was because we had so much jelly already, and I didn't want to see these beautiful 'cactus figs' go to waste. Didn't know what I was doing, but the wine was such a success, it ended up prompting my addiction to winemaking. I still don't know what I am doing, but I learn a little more, every day. Especially my daily reads on this site. The fruit is bountiful in the south, just make sure that you get those awful spines off. I roast them off over an open flame, then put them through the juicer. The color is the most beautiful magenta I have ever seen. Then I pulled a basic wine recipe out of 'Back to Basics' and strained and strained, and backsweetend (didn't know there was a name for that either) and strained some more. Then we drank it til it was gone. I can hardly wait til September and I am scoping out more cactus sites as we speak!!! Thank you for this forum.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #26
Sumobabe
Recipes 

Default Questions about Tiswin recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHill View Post
RESIST PROHIBITION! - Exotic Homebrew Recipes

Tiswin

"Tiswin" is a fermented beverage made by the Papago Indians of northern Mexico and southern Arizona from the pulp of saguaro cactus fruit. A syrup is made from the fruit pulp by slowly cooking one part water to two parts pulp for 1 to 2 hours. The resulting syrup is then used to make the tiswin. If you can not obtain saguaro cactus fruit pulp syrup (and who can?), prickly pear cactus fruit can be used as an alternative (if you can even get that).

Ingredients:

* 8 quarts saguaro cactus fruit pulp (or prickly pear cactus fruit pulp)
* 4 quarts water
* yeast

Instructions:

1. Mix the fruit pulp and water and bring it to a boil.

2. Reduce the heat and slowly cook the mixture for 1-2 hours.

3. Allow the mixture to cool enough to strain it then return it to a slow boil for another hour.

4. Cool the mixture to 70ºF then strain it into a fermenter and pitch the yeast.
5. Allow the beer to ferment completely then bottle and condition before drinking.
Hi Henry - I have a question about your Tiswin recipe using prickly pears. What type of yeast do you use? How much for this recipe - a whole packet? Can I use my regular primary fermenter that I use for 6 gallon batches of wine? Or should I use a smaller one since your recipe is for only 3 gallons? Would it benefit by a primary and secondary fermentation? Do you ever add sugar or honey? If so,how much? Any other helpful tips?

I have prickly pears coming out of my ears this year - getting tired of making jelly and sorbet - what a great recipe to come across - thanks for posting!

Deb

Old 09-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #27
Sumobabe
Recipes 

Hi Henry - I have a question about your Tiswin recipe using prickly pears. What type of yeast do you use? How much for this recipe - a whole packet? Can I use my regular primary fermenter that I use for 6 gallon batches of wine? Or should I use a smaller one since your recipe is for only 3 gallons? Would it benefit by a primary and secondary fermentation? Do you ever add sugar or honey? If so,how much? Any other helpful tips?

I have prickly pears coming out of my ears this year - getting tired of making jelly and sorbet - what a great recipe to come across - thanks for posting!

Deb

Old 09-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #28
MzAnnie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Sumo, I used Red Star Champagne yeast for mine, this year I will try Premier Cuvee. I added sugar to mine (two cups at first, in syrup form [2 cups sugar to 1/2 pint water]} and backsweetened it with two more cups after two weeks, but I prefer a sweet wine to a dry one) and racked it every week for a month and a half. I didn't clear as much as I wanted it too, but I was too impatient, I wanted a glass so bad. Drank it all! So glad, that I too, have a gazillion of those wonderful fruits this year!!! Good Luck! -Annie

Old 09-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #29
Whippy
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Fred and Barney used to drink this stuff at the Lodge, I think?

Two weeks to ferment, two more in the kegs
but in just one night it was drained to the dregs

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 

Quick Reply