Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Fermentation question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
joey0214
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Fermentation question

How long do you l primary ferment for before you bottle? What effect does it have if you leave it in for 3 or 4 weeks instead of 2?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
thasnazzle
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

short answer: until it's done.

Long answer: until you get consistent gravity readings, which indicate that fermentation has stopped. You can leave it in the fermenter for months with no ill effects.

Eviction Brewery Co.
Est. 2011
"Highly Unorganized and Unprofessional"

Old 11-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 22

It depends on what type of beer you are making, but in general, 2-3 weeks for an average gravity beer is perfect. It only takes a few days for active fermentation to be complete, but after that, the yeast will actually go back and eat their own byproduct, which minimizes off flavors and enhances the quality of your beer. After that, the beer starts to bulk condition the same way it would condition in a bottle anyway, so any extra time just promotes better beer as well.

I leave all of my beers except for wheat-based beers (best young) in primary for at least 3 weeks. Whenever I have a good pipeline going, I leave my beers in primary for more like 6-8 weeks, and the final product is always better as a result.

Also, just FYI, high gravity beers require exponentially longer fermentation, conditioning, and carbing periods, so anything over 1.065 OG or so, you'll always need to factor in additional time in the primary as well as additional time to carb and condition. All of the chemical and biological processes in wort/beer go slower in higher ABV environments.

Good luck!

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Mango Habenero Berliner Weisse
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Old 11-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2307 Times on 2008 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

You basically wait till it reaches a stable FG. Then give it up to another week to settle out clear or slightly misty. It cleans up after itself at this same time & settles out all the nastie stuff it ate with it. Then bottle & give it 3-4 weeks,then 1 week fridge time,& it'll be great.

Quick Reply