FDA: Caffeine + Alcohol?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Putting caffeine in the beer helps me stay awake on the drive home.

Er..... Wait. What?

Aren't there about a hundred other things the FDA could be doing with that money they get? I wonder how many people have died from caffeinated booze compared to the number who have died because the FDA does a crappy job regulating the meatpacking industry to make sure e. coli isn't in our ground beef.

Reminds me of a King of the Hill episode...

Peggy: "Dale, would you like an energy drink?"
Dale: (Holds up beer can) "No thanks, Peggy, I'm goin' the other way."

This can't be good for Monster/Hansen!

But seriously, since when have Americans cared about stuff not being good for them?

Putting caffeine in the beer helps me stay awake on the drive home.

Er..... Wait. What?

Aren't there about a hundred other things the FDA could be doing with that money they get? I wonder how many people have died from caffeinated booze compared to the number who have died because the FDA does a crappy job regulating the meatpacking industry to make sure e. coli isn't in our ground beef.

Not just that, but all that money they get from drug companies, which nowadays is basically payola to get approved. Think about how many "approved" drugs have had to be recalled as of late...

The article says caffeinated alcoholic beverages lead to '...dangerous behavior ... sexual assaults'.

WTF?

How absurd is that? And how is anyone going to prove that it DOESN'T turn people into murderous rapist? Run stakeouts around the country at convienence stores and make sure people who buy it don't go around raping everything that moves?

You know...there was once a time where I really wasn't surprised at some of the inane things the government does...sadly I think that time has passed...

i don't know about y'all but a little sugar with my booze and I'll quit drinkin for week, well at least until the thumpin quits.

thats the thing about alcohol, it'll let you know when you lost!

Whoa, everyone calm down. As utterly HILARIOUS as the article is, I don't think they're referring to Espresso Stouts or anything. I think they are mainly referring to nasty energy/malt drinks like Sparks (and honestly, who drinks that nasty stuff anyways?)

While it IS ridiculous that this study is under way, I don't think we need to worry about our favorite coffee microbrews leaving shelves anytime soon.

I particularly enjoyed the part where they claimed that these drinks have "been associated with dangerous behavior ... sexual assaults,".

You know.....because irresponsible alcohol consumption WITHOUT caffeine hasn't caused plenty of that on it's own.

And the day the FDA regulates whether or not a bartender can serve a JagerBomb is the day I move overseas.

This reminds me I used to love those pre-mixed rum & cokes Captain Morgan sold for a short time bottled in six-packs. Still can't figure out why they stopped. Maybe they were deadly...

You guys are underestimating the widespread appeal of red bull + jager. If I had to guess, that's probably the focus of the study. :cross:

A wise gent a few years my senior recently said this:

"Back in my day, we drank, got drunk, and our bodies had a "stupidity defense mechanism" - we passed out. Nowadays, you guys drink, get drunk, down a couple of Red Bulls, and become a bunch of raging, twitchy idiots."

I'm not saying that I endorse a publicly funded federal investigation, but the old guy might have a point...

A wise gent a few years my senior recently said this:

"Back in my day, we drank, got drunk, and our bodies had a "stupidity defense mechanism" - we passed out. Nowadays, you guys drink, get drunk, down a couple of Red Bulls, and become a bunch of raging, twitchy idiots."

I'm not saying that I endorse a publicly funded federal investigation, but the old guy might have a point...

I think that might be the most intelligent response possible to this.

Getting Stupid-Drunk with bug-eyes is a bad idea...

More info:

I heard on the radio, that caffeine has not been approved as an ingredient in alcoholic beverages. Couple this with the ID-10T's ending up in the ER for binge drinking and what you have is a government study waiting to happen.
PatientZero Whoa, everyone calm down. As utterly HILARIOUS as the article is, I don't think they're referring to Espresso Stouts or anything. I think they are mainly referring to nasty energy/malt drinks like Sparks (and honestly, who drinks that nasty stuff anyways?)

While it IS ridiculous that this study is under way, I don't think we need to worry about our favorite coffee microbrews leaving shelves anytime soon.

I particularly enjoyed the part where they claimed that these drinks have "been associated with dangerous behavior ... sexual assaults,".

You know.....because irresponsible alcohol consumption WITHOUT caffeine hasn't caused plenty of that on it's own.

And the day the FDA regulates whether or not a bartender can serve a JagerBomb is the day I move overseas.

Right now they are just talking about malt liquor+caffeine, but it is not a far stretch from making a blanket ban until the FDA completes it's own study. Which brings to mind the opening credits to Star Wars: Far far away...

If they remove it from the shelves, goobers will just spike their Red bull or Monster drink anyway.

My concern has always been the large dose of caffeine to the heart. Heart arrhythmia and palpitations are common among youth who drink multiples of these drinks.

Sad that we must be monitored in such a fashion though.

Back