Favorite Brewing Music

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
What's your favorite tunes to listen to while brewing? Lately I've been switching from rock/rap to blues/jazz. Listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan right now, and I have an overwhelming desire to brew up a bluesie beer.

Dragonfly said:
either Tupac Shakur, Roy Hargrove, or Miles Davis

no in between :cool:

Miles Davis. Nice. Miles is actually high on my list for names for my child if it's a boy. The wife and I made a deal: I pick if it's a boy and she picks if it's a girl. That leads me to believe she knows something that I don't. :)

I'm big into music - ALL types of music. Punk, classic rock, classical, blues, jazz, techno, industrial, rap, jazz, bluegrass, heavy metal. Everything but country and Christian music.

I have about 320 albums on my computer right now. As for concerts, I'm a big old Phish head, but now they're broken up. :( Not too much of a Dead-Head. I like the Dead and went to their last concert, but they're just not my thing as much as other music.

If you guys ever want to hear some FUN music, check out Leftover Salmon. They describe themselves as Polyethnic Cajun Slamgrass. Basically, they're kooky and they are F-U-N.

Cheesefood said:
What's your favorite tunes to listen to while brewing? Lately I've been switching from rock/rap to blues/jazz. Listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan right now, and I have an overwhelming desire to brew up a bluesie beer.
This is some pretty good brewin music.

Cheesefood said:
Are you a fan of Manu Chao by chance?
Had never heard of him until you mentioned it, but I'm intrigued by what I've managed to find in the last couple of minutes.

I'm the king of bongo baby :p

and Miles - would be a badass name for a kid

and Kramer - I'ma check out your link later on cause I'm in the library n I don't have headphones :(

Porter fan said:
Rory Gallagher Great rockin blues! :cool:

i like the cut of your cloth simpson.

how about robin trower

i'm much of a metal head but at 6:00 Am when i do most of my brewing - blues rock seem more appropriate.

i have a couple guitars up in the brewery. sometimes i'll get one out while waiing on a 60 minute boil and do some john lee hooker one of my all time favorite bluesmen.

brewhead said:
do some john lee hooker one of my all time favorite bluesmen.
Funny, I just spent two days listening to him over and over while driving to KC and back. Him and Heat and Floyd too, with a little Shpongle thrown in. :cool:

I have my ipod on shuffle, but my next batch will have a Dead theme. Beer and the dead just go together well for me. (music and beer goes together well in general)

Pink Floyd or liquid metal/Opie and Anthony on the XM radio. The longer the disk the better as I'm a germophobe when brewing and don't want to touch anything. When I listen to the blues, I inevitably wind up with a bourbon on the rocks...not the right drink for brewing.

Rob Zombie's newest flick, The Devil's Rejects, completely changed my image of Freebird. Now when I play it, I picture the close of his movie...won't give it away, in case anyone cares, but everything I've imagined when listening to it was replaced with his imagery. Damn him.

Guitars, guitars & more guitars for me. Like metal, Floyd, Alice Cooper, even the old hair bands from the 80s. Just no rap crap. Don't even mind Country.

if it's baseball season, it's the Astros until games off. then it's Joe Bonamasa, Queens of the Stone Age, Primus, Fu Manchu, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Charlie Robison, Jack Ingram, ZZ Top (old), Whiskey Town, Ryan Adams, Tab Benoit, Black Sabbath, etc. etc., etc.......

Either Queens of the Stone Age or Eagles of Death Metal find their way to my CD player on brewday. Usually I get too busy to change them out....but they're so awesome I really don't care. :D

I'm digging your list, DeRoux. And I mean that in the most platonic, hetero way possible.

Gary Moore , Bonnie Raitt and Lightin Hopkins. Stevie Ray Vaughn, Bob Marley,
Van Morrison, Little Feet...

Early in the evening, I start with the Milwaukee Rascals
then Jonny Prytko
As I start to get in the 'mood,'

Flotow's 'Martha'
Featuring Erna Berger

and Gaetano Donizetti's
Lucia de Lammermoor
Featuring Anna Moffo
Fav. tune:
The Sextet
{!!!}

J. Knife

Sam75 said:
I'm digging your list, DeRoux. And I mean that in the most platonic, hetero way possible.
i bet you say that to all the forum members :p

cool tribute to Indian Larry too!

brewhead said:
i like the cut of your cloth simpson.

how about robin trower

i'm much of a metal head but at 6:00 Am when i do most of my brewing - blues rock seem more appropriate.

Yeah Baby! Bridge of Sighs is my all-time RT favorite. Nobody does it like that anymore.

sudsmonkey said:
Yeah Baby! Bridge of Sighs is my all-time RT favorite. Nobody does it like that anymore.

i saw ronbin trower at a local blues club here. i was about 8 feet away - and was mesmerized.

Frank Zappa makes for some pretty good brewing tunes. Titties and Beer is just a fantastic track, as is most of Joe's Garage.

Cheesefood said:
Frank Zappa makes for some pretty good brewing tunes. Titties and Beer is just a fantastic track, as is most of Joe's Garage.
Susie...Susie Creamcheese? We heard you were new in town, and were wondering if... :D

My last brew session didn't have a soundtrack, and I forgot to wear my "brewing hat" (an leather Aussie made Outback style hat, complete with Crocodile teeth) so my beer is suffering for it. The previous batch was Keller Williams, Sam Phillips, Trey Anastasio, Phish, Ben Folds and Ben Harper themed. The next brew will probably feature some harder edged stuff like 3 Doors down, Cake, Buck Cherry, the Hold Steady, Gorillaz, Span...

And one day soon, I'll be doing an entire brew session to the music of the Talking Heads. THAT should be a cool beer!!!

I apologize if this thread exists somewhere else...I did a quick search and did not see anything.

I can't function in any activity without music (it drowns out the voices)....but homebrewing just seems to lend itself to it (plus, I think it makes the beer taste better).

Being outside, big ol' steamin pot of wort - it just doesn't happen without some kind of music blasting from the 'brew cave' speakers.

What's your poison? When brewing on Sundays, I can't resist putting on some good ol' Gospel Bluegrass (especially to appease my camping neighbors at the KOA sites not 20 feet from my brewery)..mix it in with some Good Ole' Grateful Dead, Reggae and various geetar pickin...I'm dancin like a fool around the ol' brewpot.

Do you jam while brewing? If so, what's your inspiration?

Peace,

Chris (aka HippieFreak)
http://db.etree.org/chorner

P.S. being a professional computer geek who is almost embarrassed to ask....how are you guys setting up your sig lines with your brews? I know I could figure it out, but I'm sure the solution is much more elegant and incredibly simpler than what I would come up with ;)

P.P.S I'm sure some of you have noticed my annoying sig tag....what does it mean? It means that i'm a live bootleg addict, and I love trading/giving away/making copies of all these wonderful recordings I've been blessed with.....see anything you like? Just ask, and I'll tell you how you can get a copy exactly like the one I have in exchange for a few blank CDS and postage.

With six hour brew days, I scrouged together an old TV and dvd player. I watch about two movies while doing the brew now, usually something violent.

I wear my new mp3 player while brewing, which passes the time quite well. I listen to a mix of indie rock, electronica, and industrial music.

Back