Favorite Beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrvilleOrdinary

Reaction score
I'm about to go splurge on a variety of beers I've never tried. The Whole Foods here (in Austin) has an awesome selection.

Would you guys recommend some of your favorites for me to try? You could even go so far as to put together your ideal six-pack sequence. I would be most appreciative. :)

North Coast Red Seal
Stone IPA
Fuller's 1845
Real Ale Full Moon
Delirium Tremens
Weihenstephaner Hefe-Weizen

My ideal 6 pack would be all homebrew, but if I have to pick commercial:

Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown Ale
St. Peter's Old Style Porter
Hofbrau Munchen Hefeweizen
Rogue Imperial IPA
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Young's Double Chocolate Stout

Since I am still waiting for my first brew to be ready, and thus can't drink the homebrew, I have been drinking Samuel Adams Honey Porter and Leinenkugels Fireside Nut Brown Ale. Both are excellent!

Bear Republic's Racer 5
Stone's arrogant bastard
Rogue's dead guy ale
Russian River's Pliny the Elder
Etna's Old Grind Porter
Anderson Valley's Oatmeal Stout

Dogfishhead 90 Minute
Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale
Flying Dog Double Dog Double Pale Ale
Bells Two Hearted Ale

What can I say, I like ales!!

Speaking of Whole Foods, I saw a beer there called Lobotomy Bocks (actually, I'm pretty sure it's a doppelbock based on the abv) and thought I'd give it a try. It was honestly pretty tasteless compared with othes bocks I'd had.

Everyone has their own tastes, but imho, I'd avoid that one.

You're going to want to try them all, so an ideal 6-pack (one of many):

-Genuine Bavarian Hefeweizen
-Beefy English Pale Ale/ESB
-West Coast Pale Ale
-West coast IIPA
-Something Oaked
-(Fill In The Blank) Imperial Stout

Or do some research & go by region (there are more than you can imagine)... the only right answer is to have fun!

In my experience, the guys in the beer section know a thing or two about what they sell, in most cases they have tasted the beers themselves, so they should be able to provide valuable input.

Cheers! :mug:

Where do I start? My local supermarket got in 24oz. redhook double black coffee stout and man for redhook pretty, pretty good.Limited release . I was told Lagunitas XIPA was great too. New belgium Blue Paddle too! Try em all. One good foreign one was this 24oz. that came with a cork in it and all I remember was it has a devil in a canoe on it. "LA DU MONT" or something like that.

if you have ANY choice of deschutes, then buy it!

mirror pond pale ale #1
black butte porter #2
anything else they make, buy it.

other brands...

sierra nevada pale ale is great
sierra nevada porter is excellent!

red hook longhammer ipa or esb... both are very, very drinkable.

i also like @ -2* below from belgum brewing co...although, i think fat tire lacks flavor...sorry fans.

stone ipa, well..... you just have not tasted a good ipa untill you have had it.

good luck!

Awesome, thanks folks. I've got a killer list to choose from.

Sipping at a Stone IPA right now... Nosmatt, couldn't agree with you more!

I still need to try a lot of beers that have caught my eye in the store, but I would have to say that my favorites include..

Bells Two-Hearted Ale
Bells Amber
Bells Oktoberfest
Stone IPA
Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Founder's Centennial IPA
Newcastle Brown Ale

I REALLY want to try these, but I haven't yet...
Stone - IPA Ruination
Bells - Hell Hath No Fury
Rogue - Imperial IPA

Anyone try those? Should I buy immediately? I guess I haven't tried them yet because it's between sixteen to twenty dollars a piece for them, and I do not want disappointment.

I will definitely try some of the other beers that people have recommended.

This is hard!

Anchor Porter
Lagunitas DogTown Pale
Harpoon IPA
Victory Hop Devil
Chimay White
Westmalle Trappist

Alaskan Smoked Porter
Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout
Ballast Point Porter or Pale Ale
Any Bourbon Barrel Porter
Fox Barrel Apple Cider
Coopers Red (sparkling ale)
Lost Coast Downtown Brown
Anchor Liberty IPA
Speakeasy Prohibition
ANY Lambic, you have to try this type of beer at least once
Russian River Lambics are luscious heaven, though I think you have to be at the brewery. As mentioned above though any of their beer if you can find it is great.

fursty ferret, fursty ferret, fursty ferret, fursty ferret, fursty ferret, fursty ferret.

For a second I thought you were losin' it, Bob.;)
Hall and Woodhouse - Independent Family Brewers - Beers - Badger Ales - Fursty Ferret\

I've not seen that in the States, but it looks like another one for me to try when I get back to the UK.

Anyway, Orville, how about trying a few from each of a few countries?... Belgian, German, British, American micro, etc. Be leary of clear bottles (skunked).

Back