Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Faucet Locks or in-line valves?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Faucet Locks or in-line valves?

So I come home from work today and notice some droplets and a small spill from my tap, housing my imperial bourbon stout. My underage son is home from college for Thanksgiving, and although I applaud his taste in quality beer, I don't want him indulging when I'm at work.

I've installed a hasp and lock onto the kegOrator and am going to disconnect the beer lines when I leave for work, but don't want to do that everyday. I'm looking at faucet locks but I need four and at 34 bucks a piece it's a small investment. My other option is to install inline valves on the beer lines for $2.50 a piece and just turn them off before locking up. My only concern there is I'm concerned the valve might cause foaming.

What would you recommend?

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

/joke

A beating is free & lasts much longer?

/joke off

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:11 AM   #3
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

HA! That would have worked a couple years ago, but these days I think he'd give me a run for my money

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:32 AM   #4
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Hook up a keg with vinegar in it. Or some sort of food dye that turns his teeth pink.

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Old 11-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #5
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1349 Times on 1091 Posts

If you can find full-port ball valves they shouldn't cause any foaming issues...

Cheers!

Old 11-21-2012, 01:57 AM   #6
Snicks
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 17

You could just talk to him.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:10 AM   #7
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snicks View Post
You could just talk to him.
That has already taken place....but the locks are to put my mind at ease.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:11 AM   #8
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
If you can find full-port ball valves they shouldn't cause any foaming issues...

Cheers!
Hmm...not sure I know the difference, and I doubt the $2.50 ones are.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:29 AM   #9
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAught View Post
That has already taken place....but the locks are to put my mind at ease.
Do you not trust your son? and is that because he is an untrustworthy person or because you know subconciously that your request to not drink a beer is a bit heavy handed?
Edit: reading that back sounds a bit dickish sorry, what I was meaning is until he proves that he can not be trusted to not drink your beer out of respect for what you have asked then a talk is all that should be needed, right?

I hate the concept of locking up the liquor cabinet, it does nothing to promote healthy drinking and just extends the stigma that alcohol is taboo and exciting and if you ever get your hands on it make the most of it while you can (e.g. binge drinking).

of coarse ignore this if he is continuously getting trashed while you are at work, because then it is his issue and for his safety you should remove the beer until he can sort himself out.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:53 AM   #10
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
Do you not trust your son? and is that because he is an untrustworthy person or because you know subconciously that your request to not drink a beer is a bit heavy handed?
Edit: reading that back sounds a bit dickish sorry, what I was meaning is until he proves that he can not be trusted to not drink your beer out of respect for what you have asked then a talk is all that should be needed, right?

I hate the concept of locking up the liquor cabinet, it does nothing to promote healthy drinking and just extends the stigma that alcohol is taboo and exciting and if you ever get your hands on it make the most of it while you can (e.g. binge drinking).

of coarse ignore this if he is continuously getting trashed while you are at work, because then it is his issue and for his safety you should remove the beer until he can sort himself out.
Past track record warrants locking it up. Kegorator is new, but have came up with missing bottles in the past. Kegorator just makes it easier to hide "drinking dads beer when he's not home". This last discussion is just one of many concerning alcohol in the house. He's welcome to enjoy with us anytime he chooses, but not when we're not home. Past discussions seem to have fallen on deaf ears, so I only can assume this one did too. He's not sitting around the house getting drunk when we're not home, but I'm just not comfortable with him getting into the beer at all when I'm not home.

Back on topic I ordered faucet locks. I hate to be the guy who has to lock up his beer, but when diplomacy fails the the soldiers are deployed.

Quick Reply