FastFerment conical fermenter??????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sounds like a design flaw to me. It should not be nearly that hard to seal up a connection.

I think once you figure it out it’s not too bad. I feel there are 2 worse flaws (at least with the one I got). First I don’t think the volume marks on mine are correct (I tried with and without the ball. I ended up just using a sharpie and making my own marks, so no big deal.

The biggest issue is all connections are threaded the same direction so if you aren’t careful you can unscrew the nut that holds the ball value (which keeps the wort in the fermentor) when removing the collection ball. Trust me I know this from experience (the company was very helpful though). Basically never twist the actual ball only the grey part and never over tighten.

The biggest issue is all connections are threaded the same direction so if you aren’t careful you can unscrew the nut that holds the ball value (which keeps the wort in the fermentor) when removing the collection ball. Trust me I know this from experience (the company was very helpful though). Basically never twist the actual ball only the grey part and never over tighten.[/QUOTE]
Good tip...thanks

How does everyone add priming sugar? Usually I let so I add it to the keg then purge, fill etc. Sometimes id like to bottle and instead of adding sugar cubes to each bottle, it would be easier to use dextrose. That being said, I have a funnel that fits into the airlock hole. Do I swirl the fermenter or just leave it be after adding the sugar? Minimizing o2 is my goal.

Anybody else have issues with the union valve on the Fast Fermenter? For me it's been the handle being so cheap that it breaks when applying enough pressure to turn the valve. Wondering if anyone has tried using a stainless-steel union valve assembly, and if so where to get one (part #'s etc). FF has always worked with me and gave me some pointers on what to do to fix my problem. Eventually the cheap plastic just breaks and next thing I know I'm using a pair of pliars to open the valve, if it's not stuck entirely!!! And yes, I did use the "wrench" to loosen the valve assemble up so it opens and closes smoothly, and it works great with just water in there during the leak test, but once I get a batch in there nothing but problems with the valve.

Anybody else have issues with the union valve on the Fast Fermenter? For me it's been the handle being so cheap that it breaks when applying enough pressure to turn the valve. Wondering if anyone has tried using a stainless-steel union valve assembly, and if so where to get one (part #'s etc). FF has always worked with me and gave me some pointers on what to do to fix my problem. Eventually the cheap plastic just breaks and next thing I know I'm using a pair of pliars to open the valve, if it's not stuck entirely!!! And yes, I did use the "wrench" to loosen the valve assemble up so it opens and closes smoothly, and it works great with just water in there during the leak test, but once I get a batch in there nothing but problems with the valve.
my plastic water shutoff valve cracked before I enen got to use mine so I removed the whole mess and replaced it with a stainless camlock fitting and stainless valve. only used like twice though because as a conical it did not preform well at all compared to my other stainless conicals where the yeast actually dropped and didnt sit on the walls until draining.

I gave up on it after a year or 2. The valve never broke, but the innards would unscrew if I tried to remove the catch ball. It is not a very well designed system.

You can get a new union or ball valve at Home Depot or Lowe’s in the plumbing department. It’s cheap plastic and it breaks.

You can get a new union or ball valve at Home Depot or Lowe’s in the plumbing department. It’s cheap plastic and it breaks.
I went to my local Home Depot and they don't have anything close. If someone out there has already done this, can you share the part number?

How does everyone add priming sugar? Usually I let so I add it to the keg then purge, fill etc. Sometimes id like to bottle and instead of adding sugar cubes to each bottle, it would be easier to use dextrose. That being said, I have a funnel that fits into the airlock hole. Do I swirl the fermenter or just leave it be after adding the sugar? Minimizing o2 is my goal.

Hello, 1st-time poster. No one really answered this Question.

Bottling from the FF, not wanting to mix and stir up sediment when adding priming sugar. Couldn't you just wait a day after pouring the DEX/Water? It would mix on its own over time? Just about to start my 1st batch.

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance

So after about 3 years the red handle on the valve snapped. Luckily I dont use the FF much . I now open and shut the valve with a wrench .

Received my FF today as previously stated the treads were sharp. I was able to smooth it down. Installed my sample port. Preformed a leak test and the sample port leaks from the valve where it meets the handle. I was able to measure the leak. 1oz / 24 hrs. I’ve sent a email off to fast ferment, but haven’t heard a peep from them.

Received my FF today as previously stated the treads were sharp. I was able to smooth it down. Installed my sample port. Preformed a leak test and the sample port leaks from the valve where it meets the handle. I was able to measure the leak. 1oz / 24 hrs. I’ve sent a email off to fast ferment, but haven’t heard a peep from them.
I hope it works better for you, I just tossed my old 3 gallon FF a week ago after losing an entire batch due to the dump valve failing during a mason jar change out. Twisting the lid on and off multiple times will help with the seal on top though.

Good luck!

20181207_110454.jpg

This is when I gave up on plastic. I dropped my FF while cleaning. It had about 2 gallons of PBW solution in it when i dropped it. I went to a stainless bucket fermenter now. The only problems I had was with the lid. It was difficult to get a good seal. I stopped doing a trub drop and I don't harvest yeast so the collection ball was of no benefit to me. I did about 35 batches with the FF before I broke it. This was my first fermenter and made some very good beer with it. was sad the day it died.

Hello, 1st-time poster. No one really answered this Question.

Bottling from the FF, not wanting to mix and stir up sediment when adding priming sugar. Couldn't you just wait a day after pouring the DEX/Water? It would mix on its own over time? Just about to start my 1st batch.

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance
After adding your priming sugar through the funnel you could gently stir and let it sit for 45 mins to an hour before bottling. I always let my fermenters settle a bit when I bottle just in case anything stirred up with the move from the mini fridge to the counter. If you don't want to stir then you're probably best to give it 24 hours to let it mix on its own but just know I've never had consistent carbonation when doing it this way. I thought this was one of the most frustrating things about this fermenter though. Unless you had a funnel there isn't a convenient way to batch prime without splashing while pouring your priming sugar into it. I almost felt like this defeated the point of the bottling attachment.

Jag75 yes you did. It sounds like I should have tried to salvage the valve too.

Haha , it's all good buddy . It's still serviceable. I only use it so often and it's still hanging in there . Nice weather so I know that you'll probably be taking some rides . Keep the rubber side down :)

Have a Question for you regarding dumping he collection ball?

5 days into fermentation, I decided to dump the collection ball. Now I’m worried I might have just thrown out all the good yeast. Took a gravity reading the same day (5) with my sample port it was 1.018. No more airlock bubbles

here is what I brewed

Coopers cerveza can
300 g (10.5 oz) Amber LME
1kg (2.2 lbs) Muntons brew enhancer
OG was 1.05
Pitched rehydrated Nottingham yeast,

fermented at 60F with actively bubbling after 12 hrs onwards to day 4, slowing on day 5, now day 6 nothing.

I wish left the collection ball alone. I assumed my FG should be much lower than 1.018.

Any thoughts? Should I move my FF upstairs Where the temps are in the 65-69F to help finish it off/ Diacetyl rest

Back