New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > F-N UPS (not quite a rant)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #21
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes, shipping costs inside the USA are very high...esp if you use a service like the UPS Store.

I import most of my ingredients to Guatemala and can ship cheaper from Miami to Guatemala than inside the USA (unless getting a special rate from a vendor like Amazon or Austin HBS.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #22
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Like has been mentioned, the UPS stores are a franchise, they don't reflect on standard UPS practices. I work in a consulting engineering office, and as such, both UPS and FedEx stop at our office every day (UPS actually stops twice - once a little before noon, and again around 3:30) We print all of our own labels in-house, and do all of the packaging ourselves. The only "drawback" I have for personally shipping stuff through the office is you don't know exactly how much it's going to cost until UPS sends the bill for the entire account - then our accountant brings you the invoice for your package.

Of the delivery services shipping to my house, I prefer UPS over FedEx and USPS any day. A long time ago, on one of the little forms UPS sticks to your door when you miss a shipment, I was able to sign my name and then check a box for "Use this signature for all future deliveries", basically acknowledging that I'm rarely home when UPS comes, and to go ahead and leave the package. I have never had that option with FedEx, which leads to me printing out the package tracking page, circling the tracking number, and signing the bottom of the page with a note "Please use this signature for delivery of this package".

We have a regional option servicing a 7-state area (Dakotas, Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin) that is considerably cheaper, and FAST -- overnight most of the time. But the logic of their drivers leaves something to be desired sometimes. I used to be the chapter contact for our Pheasants Forever chapter, and on more than one occasion, came home from work to find our entire banquet merchandise order stacked neatly IN FRONT of my garage door. (Usually 7-8 boxes, each at least 2'x2'x2', some larger -- so the stack completely blocks the door) Or, if I left the walk-in door unlocked, stacked neatly just inside the door so you had to open the overhead door to get in.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #23
JohnSand
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 317

Update: my beer arrived, some of it frozen! Not the shipper's fault, it's freakin' cold out there! I also got brew from my Secret Santa, and he included some world class craft brew!
Merry Christmas!

Quick Reply