Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > F-N UPS (not quite a rant)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #11
ivegot2legs
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I went to a FedEx location in the city to ship some beer. They had to add another box (my box wasn't right) but it was a reasonable cost all around. I had a few things, but the lady was helpful and the space was nice.

The next day I went to a UPS store a few blocks away to drop off a prepaid package, and it was the crappiest thing ever. Very run down, one person working with minimal English, 4% transaction fee for credit cards, two forms of ID for every transaction. Absolutely terrible. Despite the fact that one shoddy location does not reflect an entire corporation, it's enough that I will never go to UPS again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #12
raouliii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL1kebeer View Post
What the hell do you expect, the store to pack it for free? There should be no surprises there... getting something packaged costs money pretty much anywhere you go. I don't know how you could have assumed it wasn't included in the cost. Furthermore, $12.00 is reasonable for something fragile like full beer bottles. If you have a problem with paying $12.00 for packing then pack it yourself.
The OP clearly stated that the shipment was adequately packed and was not informed prior to being charged for additional packing. What the hell I would expect is to be told that I was being charged extra and why, before it occurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSand View Post
...... I saw that $12.95 was charged for "Packing". WTF? So I called them. I was told that they decided if the package needed more packing, and charged the fee. WTF? I used to ship professionally for a Fortune 500 company, I know how to pack. The g.-d. thing was already packed. I didn't ask for another box, in fact I told the kid it was already double-boxed, with the contents wrapped individually in paper.....
Horizocade Amber
Rochefort 7

In the Chamber:
Nada

Next Up:
Big Breasted Blonde
JohnSand Likes This 
Old 12-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #13
IL1kebeer
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii
The OP clearly stated that the shipment was adequately packed and was not informed prior to being charged for additional packing. What the hell I would expect is to be told that I was being charged extra and why, before it occurred.
I meant to say "If you have a problem with paying $12.00 for packing then pack it correctly yourself".

Anyway. I was out of line to take a shot at the OP in the first place.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:02 AM   #14
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Go to UPS' website and pay and print your own packing label and just drop off the package at your closest depot. I do that all the time, never had an issue.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:23 AM   #15
Doctor_M
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff View Post
Absolutely not, I only ship quality olive oil via USPS

I wasn't really joking... isn't it a felony to do so? Your choice I suppose but I would not risk it.... not a felony count at least.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:05 AM   #16
jrgtr42
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff View Post
I think UPS is better suited for commercial applications. They should get out of the home delivery business. If they deliver while you are away, which is almost always, and it happens to require a signature they refuse to adjust the delivery time forcing you to go pick the package up. In the same situation fedex will drop it off at a nearby fedex store for your convenience. Not ups, they drop back at the regional warehouse for you requiring a good bit if effort to get your package and if you hassle them on the phone they will offer to deliver to a nearby ups store for $5 charge. Yeah, needless to say I only use UPS when there are no other options on an order and I also request that the company make more options available. IME USPS is by far the best for home delivery, and that is saying something for me to prefer a government service over the private sector.
Really? Most of the time when I have something delivered, signature required, I find it sitting on my front doorstep, usually with the shippers name face front for all to see, exposed to the elements. Then when I go to check the tracking, it shows, "Delivered, MC Man" (which means, "met customer, man accepted")
Kind of awkward when a 4-foot by 2-foot by 1-foot box with "Gibson Guitars" prominently on the cardboard is sitting there.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:27 AM   #17
DanH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_M

I wasn't really joking... isn't it a felony to do so? Your choice I suppose but I would not risk it.... not a felony count at least.
They don't really care. A buddy of mine had a package of beer show up broken, so they knew very well what it was. They asked him to come get it. When he got there, they just told him that it wasn't legal and that most people are unaware of the fact. He took the loss on the spilled alcohol but that's about it. This isn't to say it's not a felony, but they don't seem to be too bothered by it (at least in this case).

Old 12-07-2013, 04:35 AM   #18
Doctor_M
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
They don't really care. A buddy of mine had a package of beer show up broken, so they knew very well what it was. They asked him to come get it. When he got there, they just told him that it wasn't legal and that most people are unaware of the fact. He took the loss on the spilled alcohol but that's about it. This isn't to say it's not a felony, but they don't seem to be too bothered by it (at least in this case).
Ignorance is not a valid defense... I don't doubt most would turn the other way but a felony is a felony and not something I would be willing to risk. Just figured I'd mention it for anyone ignorant of the fact that it is a big no no. Shipping it via usps is breaking the law no matter how you want to look at it. Shipping it via ups or fedex is breaking their rules. There is a difference.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #19
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_M
Smiley face meant I was joking. I never have shipped beer, I enter competitions that I can physically drop off because I'm too cheap to ship stuff and like the excuse to stay and have a beer when the drop off is at a brewery.

On the same note I don't know that it is a felony, that would be an absurdly high punishment...unless you are selling and then it may be tax evasion which is a different matter. Further, plenty of states say it is illegal to ship alcohol so in those states it is illegal no matter what carrier you use.

VOTE, n. The instrument and symbol of a freeman’s power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #20
JohnSand
Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 559

A lively thread, thanks for all the contributions. It made me feel better about the whole thing.

Quick Reply