Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > F-N UPS (not quite a rant)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
JohnSand
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 961

Default F-N UPS (not quite a rant)

I went to the UPS store today to surprise some-one with a delivery of homebrew. I rarely ship UPS, at least since shipping for Grainger in the eighties. So I was quite surprised at the price, $36. Well, I thought, it's a solid package going halfway across the country. But it bothered me.
When I got home and put on my reading glasses to read the receipt (I know). I saw that $12.95 was charged for "Packing". WTF? So I called them. I was told that they decided if the package needed more packing, and charged the fee. WTF? I used to ship professionally for a Fortune 500 company, I know how to pack. The g.-d. thing was already packed. I didn't ask for another box, in fact I told the kid it was already double-boxed, with the contents wrapped individually in paper. And $13 to put something in a box? What's that, 99c for the box and $700 per hour for the labor? The nice girl on the phone, at whom I did not rant, said the boxes had already shipped, but next time I could specify that I didn't want it repacked. I told her there wouldn't be a next time.
Okay, maybe that qualifies as a rant

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Yep UPS stores bring the suck.

I too used to ship for a very successful company and one time took a package to the UPS store and before I left I looked at the receipt and caught the same type of charge. I turned right around and asked for my package back and my money back. When asked why I stated that I more than adequately packed and did not appreciate them deciding to charge me without asking my approval.

I took it to the UPS depot and it arrived in excellent shape for a portion of the cost.

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Old 12-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 329 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I think UPS is better suited for commercial applications. They should get out of the home delivery business. If they deliver while you are away, which is almost always, and it happens to require a signature they refuse to adjust the delivery time forcing you to go pick the package up. In the same situation fedex will drop it off at a nearby fedex store for your convenience. Not ups, they drop back at the regional warehouse for you requiring a good bit if effort to get your package and if you hassle them on the phone they will offer to deliver to a nearby ups store for $5 charge. Yeah, needless to say I only use UPS when there are no other options on an order and I also request that the company make more options available. IME USPS is by far the best for home delivery, and that is saying something for me to prefer a government service over the private sector.

VOTE, n. The instrument and symbol of a freeman’s power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:35 AM   #4
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Yeah, OP's a rant.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #5
Doctor_M
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff View Post
I think UPS is better suited for commercial applications. They should get out of the home delivery business. If they deliver while you are away, which is almost always, and it happens to require a signature they refuse to adjust the delivery time forcing you to go pick the package up. In the same situation fedex will drop it off at a nearby fedex store for your convenience. Not ups, they drop back at the regional warehouse for you requiring a good bit if effort to get your package and if you hassle them on the phone they will offer to deliver to a nearby ups store for $5 charge. Yeah, needless to say I only use UPS when there are no other options on an order and I also request that the company make more options available. IME USPS is by far the best for home delivery, and that is saying something for me to prefer a government service over the private sector.
Just make sure you don't ship your beer usps.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:51 AM   #6
bigmike99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 26 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That is brutal. Might have been lucky to check the receipt when you were a good distance away to avoid any vicious attacks.

Untappd-Mombo

Old 12-07-2013, 12:54 AM   #7
Mb2658
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

UPS Stores are franchises. UPS acquired Mailboxes Etc back in the day. As with all franchises, some are good and others not so much.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:34 AM   #8
JohnSand
Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 961

Thanks Mike, but I've learned to control my temper. But it does help that people don't always know it!
Mb, I know it. I'll find another.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:37 AM   #9
IL1kebeer
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Edited

Old 12-07-2013, 01:37 AM   #10
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 329 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_M
Just make sure you don't ship your beer usps.
Absolutely not, I only ship quality olive oil via USPS

VOTE, n. The instrument and symbol of a freeman’s power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country.

iaefebs Likes This 

Quick Reply