Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Extremely low gravity beers - anyone has experience brewing them ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #91
patto1ro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfr1111 View Post
The problem I can see with a longer boil is that you need a bigger starting volume and my setup's boil rate hovers around 13-15%. A bigger starting volume can mean a lesser gravity starting wort or bigger final efficiency. In normal/big beers, that's not a problem, since you're not likely to be extracting tannins by sparging a gallon or two more. But with something that FINISHES at 1.028 after the boil, I'd be worried that the final runnings might dip very, very low.
A solution could be to just add water to the wort before the boil. That's what they used to do with many low-gravity beers.

Of course, they'd usually be parti-gyling with the 1028 beer as the weakest of two or three.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 02:59 AM   #92
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 793 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

I am going to brew an low gravity (10.26 is what I'm aiming for) one gallon batch tonight. If all goes well, it should end up as a 2% brew.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:07 AM   #93
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I think I'm going to brew the Baby Ale featured on the latest Basic Brewing Video episode.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 10-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #94
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 793 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
I think I'm going to brew the Baby Ale featured on the latest Basic Brewing Video episode.
That's what I based my batch on. I made some small substitutions based on what hops I had.

Quick Reply