Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Extreme Beer in America – Circus Novelty or the New Normal?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 01:43 AM   #1
mpcondo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Extreme Beer in America – Circus Novelty or the New Normal?

I just came across the below article that questions the extreme craft brewing movement in America. It raises some interesting questions. I have difficulty understanding why we insist on moving away from beer that has been perfected over hundereds of years just so we can over hop, spice, or add something else to.

http://www.speakbeer.com/extreme-bee...he-new-normal/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 01:45 AM   #2
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Extreme beers should exist, I love them, but you need some session beers as well.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
mpcondo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post
Extreme beers should exist, I love them, but you need some session beers as well.
I'm not necessarily pointing out the strength of beer, I think traditional german and english beers are fantastic and the Americanized versions of those beers do not do them justice. So, why do we insist on abandoning the old ways?

Old 01-11-2013, 01:49 AM   #4
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Ever raced cars?

I know I have and racing taught me how to drive even better on the road. It also taught me how far you can build an engine, suspension etc. to its very limits and still be reliable for its intended use.

This is why extreme beer making and recipes are valid extensions of the craft brew segment.

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

BarnyardFunk Likes This 
Old 01-11-2013, 01:49 AM   #5
looneybomber
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

As with everything in life, change is inevitable and nothing is ever perfect/perfected. There will always be technological advances and forward progression because folks will try something different, and sometimes those differences turn out to make great things. 100yrs from now, how different/similar will the beer brewing process be?

Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Old 01-11-2013, 01:52 AM   #6
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1255 Times on 834 Posts
Likes Given: 573

American craft breweries make a tremendous amount of beer in traditional styles. Your objection is that they don't make only that?

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-11-2013, 01:53 AM   #7
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpcondo View Post
I'm not necessarily pointing out the strength of beer, I think traditional german and english beers are fantastic and the Americanized versions of those beers do not do them justice.
That's an opinion, not a fact. Many people do not share the opinion. Drink what you like and like what you drink. I personally like American extreme styles as well as malty German and English beers.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:54 AM   #8
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpcondo View Post
I'm not necessarily pointing out the strength of beer, I think traditional german and english beers are fantastic and the Americanized versions of those beers do not do them justice. So, why do we insist on abandoning the old ways?
Well for a slew of reasons. For starters, the knowledge people have about beer. You can find American beers that are like traditional German Lagers or English Ales, they do exist, but there's also something about taking something and putting your own stamp on it. if everyone brewed the same lagers wouldn't it be boring?
Old 01-11-2013, 02:17 AM   #9
jiggs_casey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Great write up! I have always had a hard time accepting the term 'extreme' in certain contexts. Brewing being one of them. Err, cooking in general. If I roast a chicken and then cover it in a crusty shell of black pepper and sugary donut dough, does that make it 'extreme chicken'? Same goes for brewing. Just because you use an obscene amount of hops or decide to incorporate lavender, rose pedal, ginger root, or whatever, does not make it 'extreme', it makes it interesting, it makes it creative, and I don't see the logical connection to 'extreme'. Let's save that tag for the professions that it applies to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeb View Post
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!
Colorowdy Likes This 
Old 01-11-2013, 02:20 AM   #10
mpcondo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am not objecting to American craft beer, or saying that anything should be done differently. I prefer traditional english and german beers, that is my personal taste. Anyone can brew whatever they want. I'm asking the question why American breweries are making these hop bombs, or flavoring beer with unusual ingredients? Is that the American taste, are American breweries trying to be different, trying to create their own styles, or just trying to out do each other?

Quick Reply