Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Is this an extract problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2008, 11:17 PM   #1
micgray
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is this an extract problem?

I've brewed about 6 extract brews now and the common theme seems to be that they don't have much body (a little watery) and the hops seems to make all the beers taste very similar. I've brewed blondes, reds and bocks kits from different vendors but with the same result. Now don't get me wrong I drank them and enjoyed them but I know I can do better!

Is this due to the extract kits I'm buying? I'm definitely going all grain in the spring but I still want to make a few more extracts before then. Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2008, 12:17 AM   #2
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2699 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 5850

It could be simply that not enough extract is being used. Try doing a not-kit recipe. Also, I received some feedback from an IPA I brewed a while back and was told the watery aspect might come from using water that is too soft. Take a look at your water report and adjust accordingly.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 12-27-2008, 12:45 AM   #3
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukebrewer View Post
...the watery aspect might come from using water that is too soft. Take a look at your water report and adjust accordingly.
Could a brewer theoretically solve this by using bottled water from the grocery store? Just curious...

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Old 12-27-2008, 12:55 AM   #4
Kugster

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Could a brewer theoretically solve this by using bottled water from the grocery store? Just curious...

-Tripod
I'm a bit retentive and ALWAYS use bottled water. +1 on maybe adding more extract. About a pound per gallon should get a good start.

I don't know if it would solve the problem, but you would be able to subtract the water from the cause...process of elimination. Do you know how fresh the extract is?

Drinking..........Beer
Primary 1
Primary 2
Secondary 1....Blackeye IIPA
Secondary 2........Mikita's BB Wheat
Conditioning.....
Tap 1.............Spooky's Stout
Tap 2.............Rico's Red

DogBone Brewery

If you get confused listen to the music play! - Robert Hunter

Old 12-27-2008, 03:15 AM   #5
Christian
Recipes 

I never have this problem with extracts, either with kits or my own recipes. Can you post some recipes, boil times, boil amounts etc from the kits you have used?

I believe Homer Simpson said it best "Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems"

CMAC'S Brewery

Old 12-27-2008, 04:11 AM   #6
micgray
Recipes 

Here is a link to the last batch I brewed....
http://www.brew-winemaking.com/ProductPDF/3357.pdf

I hit the OG and FG and it turned out good but again not that much body and a similar taste to the others I have made.

I'm thinking its a water issue, the water I have been using is getting conditioned and softened. The next batch I'll use an extract recipe in place of a kit and bottled water and see if I can get around this. Thanks for all the great info.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:11 AM   #7
evandam
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by micgray View Post
I've brewed about 6 extract brews now and the common theme seems to be that they don't have much body (a little watery) and the hops seems to make all the beers taste very similar. I've brewed blondes, reds and bocks kits from different vendors but with the same result. Now don't get me wrong I drank them and enjoyed them but I know I can do better!

Is this due to the extract kits I'm buying? I'm definitely going all grain in the spring but I still want to make a few more extracts before then. Any suggestions?
Try some Maltodextrin. It is a non fermentable sugar and it will add some mouth feel and cut down on that watery mouth feel. I used it in my last 5 or 6 extract batches before going all grain, with good success.

Primary 1 - Black Widow Dry Stout
Primary 2 - Black Widow Dry Stout
Secondary 1 - Apfelwein
Secondary 2 - Apfelwein
Keg 1 - Adverse Yaw House Pale Ale (Notty)
Keg 2 - Adverse Yaw House Pale Ale (S-05)
Keg 3 - NB #8
Keg 4 - Centennial Blonde
On Deck - Faversham Best Bitter (Orig Recipe)

Old 12-28-2008, 08:10 AM   #8
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by micgray View Post

I'm thinking its a water issue, the water I have been using is getting conditioned and softened. The next batch I'll use an extract recipe in place of a kit and bottled water and see if I can get around this. Thanks for all the great info.
Don't you have a tap in your house that isn't hooked up to soft water?? Most houses do. I see no reason to go and buy bottled water, esp when using extract. More often than not it's a waste of money.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 01-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #9
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
Don't you have a tap in your house that isn't hooked up to soft water?? Most houses do.
I'm a little confused by this post, Bernie Brewer.

I always thought that the hardness or softness of the water was an expression of its chemical composition local to the area. I always thought that the water was hard or soft before ever reaching your house. My understanding is that the water was either hard or soft at the source. Is that not the case?

I am not aware of taps from multiple sources in the average house unless you have city water and a well or some similar setup. Am I wrong about that?

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Old 01-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #10
luvmy40
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I'm a little confused by this post, Bernie Brewer.

I always thought that the hardness or softness of the water was an expression of its chemical composition local to the area. I always thought that the water was hard or soft before ever reaching your house. My understanding is that the water was either hard or soft at the source. Is that not the case?

I am not aware of taps from multiple sources in the average house unless you have city water and a well or some similar setup. Am I wrong about that?

-Tripod
Those of us who have very hard water or lots of sulfur or iron in their water supply use a softener/filtration system of some kind. Typically, your outside water spigots and possibly utility spigots, say in a garage deep sink, are tapped before the conditioner.

I have a sodium ion replacement softener. This is just the most basic water softener system. I have had good success with my softened water using Five Star's 5.2 ph stabilizer.

I have been told that dry yeasts can affect a somewhat watery body but have not noticed any major issues with any of the dry yeasts that I have used.

+1 for trying the maltodextrin for a little extra mouth.

*TANSTAAFL*
The best things in are NOT free. They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!

Quick Reply