Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Extract/AG Rivalry

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #21
Baileyforlife
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyGoodBeer View Post
Well so far I have done 5 batches all extract, that being said I have only tried my first batch a Robust Porter. Wich is much on the bitter side wich I know what whent wrong there. As fpr the other 4 I think those are going to turn out well. Thats if I had fresh kits. AG sounds nice and I would like to try but im just getting my feet wet and enjoying my brew days with my friends and family.
And im sure its alot faster and alot less clean up than AG. But if the outcome is good beers then I'll keep the kits going. I would love to be able to watch personally some people that do AG to see if it is for me. Im more of a person that can learn on more complicated things if im able to see it being done and can ask 100 questions. Cheers all!
I was the same way, but I found out at my LBHS that we had a local homebrew club and they let me join them on their brew day and I learned a lot seeing some experienced guys doing all grain. If you are like me I don't really have many friends joining me to make beer(but they love to come and drink it) So maybe you have a local club that might help you the same way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #22
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1908 Times on 1679 Posts
Likes Given: 1410

@bailey4life-That's what I keep tryin to say so many times when noobz come into a post saying you don't need a hydrometer with extract beers. Kit or my own recipe,I always maintain my process. Period. No exceptions. Ever.
This must be gotten down to habit or you'll screw up on the one where you really can't afford to. And all because you got lazy. that's a bad habit to get into.
I do my own recipies with extracts,so a good process is needed to get good beer,including my hydrometer. Not to mention the obvious of not having instructions with OG/FG to follow. I have to do all that & keep good notes for next time.
Why so serious-a? Because it's all-part-of the plan. I'm just a mutt chacin cars...I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it. But I know how to chace it,ya know what I'm sayin?
Revvy Likes This 
Old 09-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #23
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baileyforlife View Post
Yeah if it was a kit, but whats the difference if you buy some LME/DME, Steeping Grains and hops? Basically you've cut out the mash, but you are still going to get your own beer?
Yes. You still have control. Of the recipe...Of some of the process.

What Zamiel said was with AG you get MORE control. It doesn't mean Better control, or better beer, just that rather than using extract that someone already made, you're making you're own first. And you can control how fermentable it will be, what exactly goes into it. Most extract is not pure, it's a blend of different grains, that you have no control over. All munich or all marris otter for example extract is difficult to find. So you're at the mercy of the maltser for that.

As is the fermentability of the extract. By adjusting temp, you can make you final wort have different body. Again you're at the mercy of that when the majority is someone else's extract.

But like he also said, if you're a sloppy brewer then it really doesn't matter if you are an allgrain brewer....A careful extract brewer is going to smoke you.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #24
Baileyforlife
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
@bailey4life-That's what I keep tryin to say so many times when noobz come into a post saying you don't need a hydrometer with extract beers. Kit or my own recipe,I always maintain my process. Period. No exceptions. Ever.
This must be gotten down to habit or you'll screw up on the one where you really can't afford to. And all because you got lazy. that's a bad habit to get into.
I do my own recipies with extracts,so a good process is needed to get good beer,including my hydrometer. Not to mention the obvious of not having instructions with OG/FG to follow. I have to do all that & keep good notes for next time.
Why so serious-a? Because it's all-part-of the plan. I'm just a mutt chacin cars...I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it. But I know how to chace it,ya know what I'm sayin?
Yes I realized that after I replied Process is key. I've played around with a lot of my batches, but I always did a OG/FG reading, paid attention to my temps from boil to pitching, and I try to keep ferm temps right. I think you are missing out if you don't do that. I will tell you right now i'm still a Noob through and through, but i'm getting better
Old 09-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #25
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1908 Times on 1679 Posts
Likes Given: 1410

My bad,I meant to convey that I agree with what you said & extrapalated on that from my own experiences.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:50 AM   #26
Jakeintoledo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

IN the past nine months, I've done both. I prefer all grain, just because the process is more fun, to me. whatever floats your boat and gets you happy, screw it, just do it.

Jake in Toledo

Primary: Privateer English Pale Ale
Kegged: VEE HAFF VAYS AUF MAKING YOU TALK LOUDLY Dunkel
Bottled: Pacific Pride (American) Pale Ale

Old 09-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #27
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 363 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 115

We could also throw partial mash into the discussion.

That way you can use grains that need to be mashed. So it is a hybrid between AG and extract.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #28
downtown3641
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 41 Posts

To each their own. I'm an all-grain brewer. I like to check in on the #homebrew tag on Twitter. Sometimes I see pictures of the stove top extract brewers and wish I could just whip up a batch without much planning. As it is now, I have to plan my batches because they take four to five hours and I have to find a day where the weather cooperates. Then, I have to haul all the equipment up from the basement. That said, I enjoy all-grain brewing much more than extract. I mostly brew my own recipes and value the ability to tweak each variable of the beer to my liking. I feel more of a connection to the ingredients and the final product. It's also nice that I can crank out an all-grain batch for $15 to $20 less than an extract batch.

Kegged: Dusseldorf Altbier, Mild
Up next: Belgian Wheat/Rye, Kolsch

Old 09-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #29
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I make some pretty wicked tomato sauce. I start with whole tomatoes that I fire roast, peel and seed. I stew them for a long time adding garlic, fire roasted peppers and some secret seasoning. When I make my sauce, the whole house is lifted in the scent of slow simmering goodness. The process takes a good portion of the day but is well worth it. Definitely can taste the freshness in the final product.

Then there are days that I just don't have the time to make my sauce. I head to the pantry and pull out the can of tomato paste, add a can of stewed tomatos, a little water, some oil and voila! Sauce? Yes. My sauce? No.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #30
sloose
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baileyforlife View Post
I have my first baby coming at the end of this month and doing a all grain batch will be tough for a awhile after. Hell I gotta keep all my beer talk to a minimum around my wife right now anyways, she's cool with my homebrewing but at 9 months pregnant anything will set her off, lol
you'll be fine...babies sleep a LOT. they take a lot less time than you think. good luck!

Quick Reply