Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Exploding bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2004, 01:13 AM   #1
jezzajjj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Exploding bottles

Hi i'm wondering if anyone can help me...

I am experiencing a couple of bottles exploding (am getting quite hot temps in Aussie summer). I checked the SG reading before bottling and it was fine and i was very careful not over-carbonating etc. What could be the cause?

Also, if i am pickign up these bottles - are they more volatile during the hot days? Are they ok to move around if some of the bottles have exploded - not wanting it to happen when i'm moving them to the fridge!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers.
JM

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2004, 12:06 PM   #2
NUCC98

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzajjj
Hi i'm wondering if anyone can help me...

I am experiencing a couple of bottles exploding (am getting quite hot temps in Aussie summer). I checked the SG reading before bottling and it was fine and i was very careful not over-carbonating etc. What could be the cause?

Also, if i am pickign up these bottles - are they more volatile during the hot days? Are they ok to move around if some of the bottles have exploded - not wanting it to happen when i'm moving them to the fridge!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers.
JM
the only thing I could possibly think of is that you're bottling too soon after fermenting. But if your SG is fine, then...hmm...what are the priming sugar measurements you're using for carbonating?

Old 12-15-2004, 09:23 PM   #3
jezzajjj
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUCC98
the only thing I could possibly think of is that you're bottling too soon after fermenting. But if your SG is fine, then...hmm...what are the priming sugar measurements you're using for carbonating?
I'm using a plastic measurer that came with the beer kit. If anything, i would have been using less than the prescribed amount. The bottles are 330ml not 375 - would it be that?

Old 12-15-2004, 10:32 PM   #4
NUCC98

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzajjj
I'm using a plastic measurer that came with the beer kit. If anything, i would have been using less than the prescribed amount. The bottles are 330ml not 375 - would it be that?
Heheh....ml....we're still backwards I guess....I use 12oz bottles, for what that's worth. You could also try leaving more room at the top of the bottle when you fill them....

You Won't Find Moments In A Box...And Someone Else Will Set Your Clocks...

Old 12-16-2004, 06:50 AM   #5
jezzajjj
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUCC98
Heheh....ml....we're still backwards I guess....I use 12oz bottles, for what that's worth. You could also try leaving more room at the top of the bottle when you fill them....
Thanks for that. Does anyoen have any idea abotu whether the beers would be more volatile during hot days? Are they safe to move around?

Old 12-19-2004, 02:40 AM   #6
The Professor

Recipes 

As far as safely moving the beer: colder is better due to less pressure at lower temperatures and colder liquids can absorb more of the CO2 pressure. Maybe put an air conditioner in the room for a few days. Also if the beer has not had any explosions for a week then you might be through the worst of it. Having said that-BE EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS-exploding beer is no laughing matter. Find a way to protect yourself like maybe a wood box with a hole cut in the bottom for a leather glove to fit through. That should protect you from a blast. This is only a suggestion to be used knowing there is still a level of risk. Good luck, and be careful.

Old 12-19-2004, 03:02 AM   #7
smorris
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One of the reasons I like PET bottles is if they do explode I don't have glass to contend with. When I bottle I put the bottles in a cooler with the top closed, if some explode it is contained and so is the mess.

Old 12-27-2004, 04:57 PM   #8
Brewman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

wow....... I have had this happen a couple of times, I would imagine that is prob was overfilled or not fermented enough. I would try using a few tablespoons less of priming sugar, or fill the bottle less, also check the bottles, maybe they are not in great shape.

A few years back I left a bottle out on the table over night, it was in the winter here prob around 30-40F degress here. The heat came on and the bottle exploded, shards were stuck in the metal mini blinds about 4 feet away from it. I was just glad I was not sitting there...... but I have had some bottles in the past burst while aging.

Old 02-03-2005, 08:37 PM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Actually, it may be you over primed, but to cease the carbonation process you need to put those bottles in the fridge. The cold will stop the process.

Old 02-03-2005, 08:54 PM   #10
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

You bottled too early or added too much priming sugar. It has nothing to do with the temperature, which would only make the conditioning go faster or slower.

Now that you have dangerously overcarbonated bottles, just like the Professor/homebrewer_99 said, colder is better, both to arrest any continued fermenting and to slightly reduce the pressure and make explosions less likely. But I want to say again, BE CAREFUL. You can get seriously hurt with exploding glass grenades.

Once when I had this happen, I carefully eased the cap off the bottles to alleviate the pressure. Then I recapped as necessary. You may be able to relieve enough pressure without removing the caps but BE CAREFUL.

The lesson for the future is to wait longer for the beer to finish in the fermentor...and then wait a bit longer...longer is always better and your beer will taste better. Alos, you may want to get a book and re-crunch the numbers on how much priming sugar to add.

One question, did you add priming sugar to the whole batch or to the bottles individually?

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Quick Reply