Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Explain That Name

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2006, 08:50 AM   #1
Brewsmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

Default Explain That Name

There are some interesting names floating around here for people's homebrew. Anyone care to explain how or why they named their beer whatever the intersting or wacky name it got? Here's a few of mine:

6/4 Stout - Has to do with musical instruments. 4/4 or "four quarter" is a full size instrument. One of the instruments I play is the tuba. A few manufacturers make very large instruments in the 5/4 and 6/4 sizes. I figured 6/4 seemed good for a stout. I think I may religate this name to my imperial stouts from now on.

Carly Jo Pale Ale - My brothers first daughter, and my first niece. She was born a few months ago and I named a brew after her, in lieu of cigars.

Belgian Tire - Fat Tire clone, but with belgian yeast

L.A. Uncommon - CA Common style and I'm a resident of Los Angeles. You get the rest.

Old Helicon Barleywine - More tuba lingo. The helicon was the precursor to the sousaphone, or marching style tuba, and was in use a hundred years ago. Since many barleywines have "Old" and something to fit that description in their name, I thought it was appropriate.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2006, 12:00 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know it sounds oxymoronic, but I have a Hefe Weizen that I called "Corn Dog Weizen" because I was eating one at the time...

Oxymoronic because of the corn and wheat. I know, not a true oxymoronic.

When I was in college I was asked what my ideology was and I said that I am a liberally-conservative-radical. That's 3 opposites so is that an oxymoron also? I don't know.

Old 04-20-2006, 03:31 PM   #3
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Paul's Picnic Table Porter is a beer I originally brewed to honor the retirement of the guy who introduced me to home brewing.

Windy Winter Brown was brewed outside on a very windy day in January.

Other than that I can't seem to come up with good names for my brews.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 04-20-2006, 03:40 PM   #4
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hefe Weiβbier - German spelling for Hefe Weissbier (aka Hefe Weizen)

"Alles Neu Macht Der Mai" - This is a German phrase that translates to "The May makes everything new", don't worry if this doesn't sound right to you. phrases or sayings don't translate very well

Chubby Angel (American Pale Ale) - Not a Magic Hat Fat Angel clone as one may suspect. I just liked this name and will keep it for my standard American Pale Ale interpretation

Imperator- Doppelbock - I needed to find something with "ator" at the end. I thought the Imperator will be a good Match for the Kaiser.

Kai

Old 04-20-2006, 03:56 PM   #5
HomerT
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Well, first of is my "Brewery" name....

The Angry Chihuahua Brewing Co. : Named after one of our dogs, a 6# chihuahua that thinks he is a 100# German Shepard.

Now the beers.....

Crazy Uncle Crimson Ale : My first Irish Red..brewed for my uncle's 70th B-day

Fat & Tired Ale : Fat Tire Clone

Winter Warmer: Self Explainatory

Krueger Clan Kolschbier : Kolsch named after wifes maiden name...my drinkin buddies

Daddy's Little One Lager : Oktoberfest Lager brewed from my daughter's birth

-Todd

Old 04-20-2006, 04:07 PM   #6
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

I don't have any snappy names as I'm still fiddling with recipes, but I loosely refer to my garage as Terrible Creek Brewery. The street we live on is Terri Creek Drive, and while we were investigating the purchase I noticed that Terrible Creek runs behind the backyard and that the street namers probably didn't want to call it Terrible Creek Drive. Now, how it got that name in the first place (it's basically a flat, barely moving, tiny creek) I'll probably never know.

Old 04-20-2006, 04:15 PM   #7
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
Now, how it got that name in the first place (it's basically a flat, barely moving, tiny creek) I'll probably never know.
It's probaply a terible place to be in the summer when all those mosquitos hatch from that muddy water

Kai

Old 04-20-2006, 05:15 PM   #8
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

I have a series of labels that I call my Americana Series. They each feature a classic black and white photo related to the name. The names include:

Indigenous Pale Ale is an IPA and my thumb at PC phrases and features a Sioux Chief on horseback in full war dress

Czecher CAB is my classic american pilsner (Classic American Beer) with Saaz hops. Yellow CAB is my non-Saaz version. The photo is a 1966 Marathon Cab

Pullman Porter is my memorial to Robert Jackson, and old friend from Chicago who was a Pullman porter with the railroad. The photo is a Pullman Porter with his name badge showing

NASA Cream is my North American Sparkling Ale (NASA) and features an early NASA photo

Elvis Died Stout was first brewed on the King's death anniversary and features a "Thin" Elvis

The Great Emancipator is a Bock was first brewed on April 15th, the anniversary of Lincoln's assassination and features his picture

Duck and Cover Barley Wine features children under their desks

Rye Bitter is a rye beer with an image of the Dust Bowl and the phrase "because sometimes life just sucks"

Uncommon Common is a Bastard lager that has Jimmy and Billy Carter sitting in Lazy-boys eating ribs

Old 04-21-2006, 01:38 AM   #9
dancingbarefoot
Recipes 

So far, I've only brewed one batch because of my tight budget and inability to drink it quickly. It's called Sif Stout, after the Nordic goddess of grain, Sif (Thor's wife, incidentally, and she had golden hair flowing past her knees, just like me, so I thought it appropos).

An upcoming batch is set to be called Rotating Hedgehog, because of a joke that started in one of my classes this year. Most of the people who drink my beer are people in my department, so they'll get the joke. Just gotta find a decent pic for the label!

I'm tempted to make an IPA, even though I hate IPAs, as another linguistics joke. We language geeks use the Int'l. Phonetic Alphabet all the time, so it'd be an IPA IPA.

Old 04-21-2006, 01:41 AM   #10
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingbarefoot
I'm tempted to make an IPA, even though I hate IPAs, as another linguistics joke. We language geeks use the Int'l. Phonetic Alphabet all the time, so it'd be an IPA IPA.
India Alpha Papa IPA?

Cheers,
Rich

Quick Reply