Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Expert Advice Needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007, 06:53 AM   #1
Ningirsu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Expert Advice Needed

Hello beer experts! I'm maybe going to be in a place where beer and malted barley are very expensive and hops is non-indigenous. Now I know **** about making beer, but come on--how hard can it be? So hear me out.. I'm thinking wheat beer, made with only unmalted wheat and some simple grut. Expensive equipment and fancy instruments are not really my style unless they can be salvaged or scavenged in some way. Also I'd want as close to instant gratification as possible, so no interminably lengthy fermentation. I'm only planning to brew enough to supply 10-20 beers a day. How doable is this and what sage advise might you have for me?

Chicks Watch Out!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2007, 07:28 AM   #2
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 113 Posts

well, i can say that wheat beers have the shortest fermentation time and are pretty much 4 weeks from start to drinkable, so you're halfway there!

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 08-02-2007, 08:54 AM   #3
Hemi

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningirsu
Hello beer experts! I'm maybe going to be in a place where beer and malted barley are very expensive and hops is non-indigenous. Now I know **** about making beer, but come on--how hard can it be? So hear me out.. I'm thinking wheat beer, made with only unmalted wheat and some simple grut. Expensive equipment and fancy instruments are not really my style unless they can be salvaged or scavenged in some way. Also I'd want as close to instant gratification as possible, so no interminably lengthy fermentation. I'm only planning to brew enough to supply 10-20 beers a day. How doable is this and what sage advise might you have for me?
Ummm....what? Do you have or plan on purchasing a mash tun or fermenting vessel? Maybe you should stick with the local LQs Miller High Life or PBR? 10-20 beers a days is actually a lot to supply and ferment and is going to require a lot of effort and money. If you are serious about brewing, I would purchase a brew kit (as little as $50) and order the ingredients via internet and pick up a book on brewing while your at it. Do you plan on using store bought yeast or keep an open bucket outside with the hot wort to collect any wild yeast and other microbes that may drop in? I'm honestly confused on what you plan on doing or how you are going to make beer, not trying to be a jerk.
On Tap: EdWort's Apfelwein #8, Starlight Cyser, Flat Ass Tired v1.2, Flast Ass Tired v1.2

Old 08-02-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can concur with BD about the wheat beers, but I seriously don't think you have the resources to brew for 10-20 beers a day.

Many of us here have spent thousands of dollars on equipment and can't/don't have the time or supplies on-hand to make enough brew to supply that schedule. I have 5 buckets and 4 carboys, 2 beer fridges and a freezer, 20+ empty cases of 1/2 liter bottles, 25 kegs, my own brew kitchen and I buy my supplies in bulk...and you want to use salvagable equipment? Will you have the time to learn how to brew and the time to brew enough?

I'd surely hate to turn you off to the idea, but unless you're brewing a batch everyday for a week or so then have to wait at least 1 month for the first batch to be ready to drink it's just not doable. Sorry, but that's my opinion.

For now I would just recommend you go to John Palmer's "How to Brew" book (1st edition available on-line to read for free) for research first before committing your time and $$$ into this dream we call homebrewing.

I started brewing over 13 years ago and I'm still no expert, but I play one on TV and did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 08-02-2007 at 12:46 PM.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

That's an awful lot of drinking for an 89 year old man...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
That's an awful lot of drinking for an 89 year old man...
ROTFLMMFAO!!!! I just checked his profile....

I'm not sure he can lift and empty carboy at this point...

Old 08-02-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

OK, so please fill us in... what's your REAL story?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:43 PM   #8
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

http://forums.megagames.com/forums/member.php?u=61398

I like how your HBT profile says "Chicks watch out".

10 homebrews a day, and it's "Belt, watch out!!!"

Just stick with leaving the fruit juice in the sun.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:54 PM   #9
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Lol, wtf is this thread

Anyhoo, 100% unmalted, will that convert even??

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
Orpheus

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Yeah, the average batch of homebrew yields approximately 60 12oz. bottles of beer, which means yours would only last for roughly a week, which means you'd have to brew every single week to keep up with your demand.

Last edited by Orpheus; 08-02-2007 at 02:30 PM.

Quick Reply