Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Beer Discussion (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/)
-   -   Excellent Brews (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/excellent-brews-113465/)

Yankeehillbrewer 04-10-2009 06:05 AM

Excellent Brews
 
So, I'm trying to try new(to me) brews, here's what I've found...

Bear Repulic Racer 5 IPA... Excellent IPA, not over done, very tasty

Rubicon Brewing IPA... Same as above, maybe better, a pleasant surprise

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine...Very smooth, just a touch of alchohol taste

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barley Wine...Excellent,well balanced, maybe a little on the sweet side

Russian River Pliney the Elder IIPA... To date this is the best beer I have ever had, one sip and I was hooked. The aroma alone was intoxicating. I can't say enough good things about it.

Give these a try if their available to you.

I'm obviously on an IPA..Barleywine kick:mug: I know there's a lot more out there, but I thought I'd share. These beers are also an inspiration to take my brewing to a new level.

carnevoodoo 04-10-2009 07:03 AM

If you can, find yourself a bottle of the Ballast Point Dorado IIPA. there should still be some fresh enough to be great somewhere in CA. And Sculpin is coming out again soon.

Sigafoos 04-10-2009 12:44 PM

Really? I thought Bigfoot was really hoppy. Not bad, necessarily, though I do much prefer an English Barleywine. I haven't had Stone's, but I assume it's also pretty hoppy.

Yankeehillbrewer 04-10-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnevoodoo (Post 1252707)
If you can, find yourself a bottle of the Ballast Point Dorado IIPA. there should still be some fresh enough to be great somewhere in CA. And Sculpin is coming out again soon.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out

Yankeehillbrewer 04-10-2009 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigafoos (Post 1252836)
Really? I thought Bigfoot was really hoppy. Not bad, necessarily, though I do much prefer an English Barleywine. I haven't had Stone's, but I assume it's also pretty hoppy.

Yeah, I thought they were both really well balanced. Bigfoot seems to be a touch on the Hoppier side than Old Guardian, but neither one had that big hop presence that an IIPA would have.

What English Barleywine's should I look for? I'd love to do some comparison's.

:mug:

MgMt_Home_Brew 04-10-2009 05:41 PM

I love doing research and development!

Daddymem 04-10-2009 06:30 PM

Find some Green Flash West Coast IPA (judging by you getting Pliny, you must be on the left coast). I love Bear Republic. I wish I could get my hands on Pliny. If you are really a hop head try out Dogfish Head and Stone Ruination.

Yankeehillbrewer 04-10-2009 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daddymem (Post 1253701)
Find some Green Flash West Coast IPA (judging by you getting Pliny, you must be on the left coast). I love Bear Republic. I wish I could get my hands on Pliny. If you are really a hop head try out Dogfish Head and Stone Ruination.

I've been asking around about DFH, and I hear the only place to get it is down in Sacramento, I'll have to go to their website and see what their distribution is. Ruination is awesome, I have yet to drink a Stone Brew that I haven't liked.

Daddymem 04-10-2009 11:11 PM

The best DFH I had was their 75 minute IPA simulcask event. MMMM They took 90 minute and 60 minute, mixed them together with new yeast, and maple syrup in a cask. The casks were opened all over the East Coast at the same time. Their barleywine is fabulous too. The 120 minute is a six pack in a bottle, which is good since it will run you $10+ a 12 ouncer.

McKBrew 04-10-2009 11:19 PM

Bigfoot Barleywine rocks my world every year since 2007. Still have 4 2008 bottles left and I just picked up another 6 pack of 09 today.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:49 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.