New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Evolution of brewing taste

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
jsmcclure
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default Evolution of brewing taste

Nothing earth shattering here but I am thinking about the evolution of my homebrew taste. The more I brew, the more i appreciate the "middle of the road". Early on, i went for very dramatic beers. The sorts that generated "wows" from friends. Lately, I am brewing less dramatic beers that just taste good. i love to brew the same recipe with very slight changes. Maybe I'll regain my sense of adventure someday but for now, it's great brewing in the middle of the road.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
landshark
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I've been brewing with a lot of Noble hops. Then realized they don't have the "bite" that Cascade and the West Coast style hops have. I like the beers, just not the big wows and pop I had been brewing for the last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
OK, So I searched "Betty White nude" ...........At the top of the results, instead of 'Did you mean......" it asked "Are you f#cking serious?....."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
dfaridoni
Recipes 

I'm with you on that. I tried different styles and found a couple I really like so I look to brew them again or something new that seems similar

Old 07-09-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1131 Times on 829 Posts
Likes Given: 451

When I started brewing, I was all about the bigger beers. Lately, I've been brewing a lot more session beers. Of the last 10 beers I've brewed, 7 have been below 5% alcohol, and 4 of those below 4%.

Up Next: Pale Mild, Coniston Bluebird Bitter clone v1.0
Primary: ESB, Ordinary Bitter, Mild
Secondary: Sour Stout
Bottled: Düsseldorf Altbier, Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottle "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Imperial Red, Tripel, Quadrupel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 07-09-2012, 02:32 AM   #5
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Making a good tasting session ale that isn't thin is just as much of an accomplishment as making a higher gravity beer....at least that is my opinion.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 07-09-2012, 04:17 AM   #6
d3track
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
Making a good tasting session ale that isn't thin is just as much of an accomplishment as making a higher gravity beer....at least that is my opinion.
I kind feel the same way - it can be a challenge to brew a beer that you want to keep drinking vs a beer that is way over the top and you almost need recovery time between servings

Old 07-09-2012, 05:36 AM   #7
harrymanback92
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree with all you guys. Started with big 8%+ beers, and the last 8 batches, 6 have been 5% and under, with 4 at 4% and under.

I also use to only drink IPA's and wanted to make everything heavily hopped. Now, I seek balance in a beer. The intense hop flavors, especially when I started brewing, were covering defects in my beer. I wasn't able to learn from the ingredients I was using.

It's nice to be able to have my bitter(3.8%abv) with a pair of tacos for lunch on my days off without getting completely smashed.

Also, I tend to drink wine when I want to get drunk, I just feel to full after three beers. If I drink a beer that's 9% I feel like I just ate a burger and fries. Those beers have their place for cold winter nights, IMO.

Primary:Farmhouse Triple, Simcoe Session IPA, 100% Brett Brux IPA
Conditioning: Willamette English Pale Ale

Old 07-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
Krazykripple
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

i'm the opposite. i have always brewed lighter beers. i'm planning to change that soon though with my first foray into brewing a belgian

Old 07-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 82

While i also began with huge hop/alcohol bombs, I'm more into expanding my range than necessarily toning down my beers. One of my favorites was a 3.2% pale mild that had great body & flavor--I nearly killed the keg in three weeks!

But I'm also fermenting a BGS with Brett Brux that will end about 11.5%, the Tripels for 12 Beers of Christmas at around 9.5%, a Black IPA, Belgian IPA, and Imperial West Coast Red in the 7-8% range, and an orange wheat around 5%. on Thursday, I'll round out the low end with Saison and a milk stout.

I think a well made beer has to be flavorful and drinkable, no matter what the style or ABV.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #10
Mishraile
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I am trying to get into the habit of always having something really drinkable on tap (smooth, lower ABV, tasty) and also a "crazy" beer done seasonally So I have the choice of something adventurous but a fall back of an easy drinking one as well.

"My own beard boasts my brewing ability better than my brewing ability can stand up to."

jsmcclure Likes This 

Quick Reply