Everybody Knockin' On Buffalo Wild Wings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotsumbeers

Reaction score
I saw the commercial and it made me laugh. I have never been to a BWW, but I will. They sponsored a home brew competition here in Maryland. Best in Show winner gets their beer brewed by a local brewery and then it gets served at the local BWWs. That doesn't sound like a company that looks down on home brewers.

I see the humor in the commercial. It does not bother me. Personally I take a lot more abuse from co-workers on homebrewing then a silly TV commercial could ever dish out. Lets be honest homebrewers could be considered the fringe radicals of the beer world, we are open to mocking.

Their wings are not inedible, one of those places where you know the food is not going to write home about but it will be decent.

As a homebrewer who likes to keep it simple as far as my recipes go I think it's a pretty funny commercial that certainly reminds me of some of the recipes I've seen here.

Anyone have a good bratwurst beer recipe?

I only use Johnsonville brats, sliced lengthwise and added while still frozen to primary at high krausen. They help keep the temps down. I Drykraut with 20z Sauerkraut, not the cheap canned stuff, but the bagged stuff in the deli. Serve with a spicy mustard shooter and enjoy!

Yeah, it's hard to believe how many homebrewers are SO insecure about their hobby and how folks might perceive them, that instead of being flattered that something they are interested and passionate about is getting satired, they get their widdle feelings hurt, or pissed off about it.

Talk about being thinned skinned.

Usually when we're bothered by something, deep down we believe it. So if folks get upset about a commercial poking fun at homebrewing they must think, deep down that there's a grain of truth to it....that maybe homebrew IS inferior to craft beer, or they suck as a brewer.

Me, I think it's a hilarious spoof on our hobby. I think it shows that homebrewing's gaining a level of cachet these day, that it's growing in popularity. Heck even the White House is brewing now (if you haven't heard ;))

If anything maybe it's BWW that is threatened by the rise in homebrewing. Remember when Budweiser, feeling threatened by craft beers picked on them? It's probably not too different. But I really doubt it, since they support homebrewing AND craft beer in many states.

A wise man (I think it was a character on the West Wing) once said, "If they're shooting at you, that means you must be doing something right."

I'm more flattered by the commercial than bothered. It's nice to be hearing mention of homebrewing....

And this year the ones in Michigan were huge supporters of Michigan Craft Beer Month, even selling a really nice commemorative glass with part of the money going to the Michigan Brewer's Guild.

380637_10150914810056300_1746922002_n.jpg

The BWWs in Michigan have Founder's Dirty Bastard, Bell's Two Hearted Ale, New Holland Mad Hatter, Ichibod pumpkin ale And Dragonmead Final Absolution Tripel on Tap, with another 11 craft beers as well.

My co-minister and I and a couple volunteers from my Church have been going straight there on Sundays after service to catch the lions games.

Well now I've just got to youtube search this commercial. All, 100%, of my friends made fun of "homebrew", until they came over. Who cares, it's a hobby.

I think the commercial is hilarious. I also think BWW's food is overrated and the one near me doesn't serve anything other than BMC. So I'll laugh at the commercial, applaud their marketing department, enjoy the extra publicity for the hobby, and continue not to eat there. No one should be up in arms about a commercial the public won't remember in 6 months.

Revvy said:
The BWWs in Michigan have Founder's Dirty Bastard, Bell's Two Hearted Ale, New Holland Mad Hatter, Ichibod pumpkin ale And Dragonmead Final Absolution Tripel on Tap, with another 11 craft beers as well.

My co-minister and I and a couple volunteers from my Church have been going straight there on Sundays after service to catch the lions games.

That selection would make me like them too!

The locations in my area carry zero IPA's Belgians, Porters, Stouts (cept Guiness), or anything else hallway decent. We get SA Boston lager, bass, blue moon, shock top, etc. nothing really special.

I can't understand serving spicy foods without offering some IPA's. I'll get it to go and enjoy some hoppy homebrew with it.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say if you are offended, you are that guy, why else would it bother you? I am sure we have all known someone like that, homebrewer or not.

Just watched it on youtube. It's funny. Obvious parody. Nobody should get hung up on that. There is more sausage than beer, haha, c'mon...

Reminds me of the ebay leaking pen ipad commercial. I carry a fountain pen in my pocket every day, and I thought that was funny too. Still don't have a tablet.

Please everyone, just stop posting about buffalo wild wings. I'd rather read topics about Aluminum vs Stainless the great Alzheimers threat or How Do I make a Yeast Starter than another topic on this subject.

Went to BWW a couple times, and totally disliked their BRIGHT YELLOW bar. The idea is that you want people to stay and drink beers, NOT want to leave ASAP (which is what resulted with me). Never bothered to try their food. Their beer prices were out of line with the area.

I caught a glimpse of the commercial, thought it was pretty amusing.

MC

The only thing I didn't like about it is that it portrays us as sorta idiots with poor sanitation, etc. Most people who see my setup are impressed that I take four "organic" ingredients and make beer from it, beer that's damn-good, and that it's a complicated process to the lay-person. I'm sure some people will watch that commercial and think we're a bunch of loons...but again, the proof is in the beer we make and nobody's complained to me on that!

I agree,it's funny,but makes us look like some retard version of doc brown. It's kinda like an exagerration that shows/says "don't settle for that 2 bit hooch,come drink our fine BMC's". More like BSB's. It's lind of bad press in one light against home brewers to the general public that doesn't know any better. But again,it is stooges-like...

Meh. People will think dumb things regardless of commercials on TV. Griping about it is futile, but don't let that stop you.

I get it. See, I don't have many friends here after having moved just a year and a half ago. The ones I have, they're also homebrewers...so I haven't "swayed" many commercial drinkers, yet. I guess it's a sore-spot for me. I agree though that griping won't change perception...kick-ass beer will.

I eat at BWW at least once a week and I think the commercial is awesome! Wings and Beer should be a food group all by itself! To think that they even thought about us homebrewers to make a commercial like that is cool.

I think this commercial plays upon peoples lack of education about things.
We all know how to homebrew and see the faults.
People also think that food comes from the grocery store, and don't care if the farmers are surviving or not.
Movies portray farmers as inept idiots with pitchforks as well. I finished the beans yesterday. Is the pitchfork in the picture?
DSCF2969.jpg

DSCF2962.jpg

Movies portray farmers as inept idiots with pitchforks as well.

Right! I just finished designing a $5k sensor device for farmers to measure the moisture of silage (spent grain garbage, slightly fermented, used as feed for grazing animals). I think the image in the post above this one shows a similar device. I had no idea farmers had money for that kind of gadget! Development was pricey. Someone's making money in the farming business.

The customer is showing it at a dairy convention in Madison right now.

image006-56688.jpg
moistureprototypebuild-4-of-4-56687.jpg

moistureprototypebuild-3-of-4-56686.jpg

I am a small farmer and still move over a million dollars through the checkbook annually. I live off the cash flow as many others. We still have to remember that food comes from farmers and not grocery stores. If you want quality food, people spend money if there is money to be made to ensure quality.
Passedpawn, your device is helping the farmer to ensure the product meets the purchasers demands by meeting the specs they require. Just as my combine can tell me the moisture and yield of the crop going in the tank. It also has GPS not only for steering but also to map the field for fertilizer next year.
Farmers can't afford to pollute by putting random amounts of fertilizer on a field. It costs me 250/acre for fertilizer, I am not going to put too much anywhere.

mb82 said:
Their wings are not inedible, one of those places where you know the food is not going to write home about but it will be decent.

I like to frequent places where the food won't write home. Makes me feel better about eating it.

I am a small farmer and still move over a million dollars through the checkbook annually. I live off the cash flow as many others. We still have to remember that food comes from farmers and not grocery stores. If you want quality food, people spend money if there is money to be made to ensure quality.
Passedpawn, your device is helping the farmer to ensure the product meets the purchasers demands by meeting the specs they require. Just as my combine can tell me the moisture and yield of the crop going in the tank. It also has GPS not only for steering but also to map the field for fertilizer next year.
Farmers can't afford to pollute by putting random amounts of fertilizer on a field. It costs me 250/acre for fertilizer, I am not going to put too much anywhere.

Reminds me of one of my favorite songs today, Fly over states (Jason Aldean).

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't griping perce,just stating the facts of advertising as they are today. Where do folks think their beer comes from? Farmers,brewers,& all those that came before to make a beer what it is. They say no press is bad press,but it is usually misleading. To the company's advantage doing the add,of course. Money changes everything...

I LOVE Buffalo Wild Wings! Our local one has $1.75 pints all night every Monday...includes anything on draft (which ours has about 25 on draft, SNPA, Guiness, Dogfishhead, Fat Tire, 2-3 high end IPA's that rotate in! $2 with tax per pint for premium drafts cannot be beat at any other joint around here. We now have a Monday night football venue. :p

I also love their wings and 60 cent Tuesdays makes for a pretty awesome, cheap meal! :rockin:

two_hearted said:
mango habanero is like crack. I'm just saying. CRACK. Its so good.

I think their mango habanero is pretty bad compared to most I've had.

Just boil down some mango juice, add Franks and a bit if habanero based hot suace, some butter, and you're good to go. Just add chicken arms.

come to think of it... Mango habanero wing beer?? Just a different take on Charlie Papazian's cock ale? I'm on it.

But in all honesty, all the bww's I've been to have an excellent beer selection (waiters don't no much about the beer, but that's to be expected), and they are huge supporters of homebrewing here in MD. And the commercial is pretty funny....

It's already been talked about in this thread, but they help sponsor a competition, and the winner of best in show gets his beer brewed, put on tap at every bww in Maryland, and sold in stores for the year.

A few days ago a member of this forum posted that he found out he won this year.

Jayhem said:
I LOVE Buffalo Wild Wings! Our local one has $1.75 pints all night every Monday...includes anything on draft (which ours has about 25 on draft, SNPA, Guiness, Dogfishhead, Fat Tire, 2-3 high end IPA's that rotate in! $2 with tax per pint for premium drafts cannot be beat at any other joint around here. We now have a Monday night football venue. :p

I also love their wings and 60 cent Tuesdays makes for a pretty awesome, cheap meal! :rockin:

Holy **** where do you live? Sounds awesome

Holy **** where do you live? Sounds awesome

Central Virginia in a small town. The locations outside of major city areas have much better specials to attract enough patrons. They are doing a fine job as I visit BWW at least once every week and it's busy even on Monday and Tuesday.

Back