Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Everybody Knockin' On Buffalo Wild Wings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
gotsumbeers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Everybody Knockin' On Buffalo Wild Wings

I saw the commercial and it made me laugh. I have never been to a BWW, but I will. They sponsored a home brew competition here in Maryland. Best in Show winner gets their beer brewed by a local brewery and then it gets served at the local BWWs. That doesn't sound like a company that looks down on home brewers.

"Tastes like mom's"

Revvy Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
MyNameIsPaul
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 155

I'm gonna go ahead and say it. I like their wings!

See one melée of unruly people, and you've seen a maul.

People Like This 
Old 09-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I see the humor in the commercial. It does not bother me. Personally I take a lot more abuse from co-workers on homebrewing then a silly TV commercial could ever dish out. Lets be honest homebrewers could be considered the fringe radicals of the beer world, we are open to mocking.

Their wings are not inedible, one of those places where you know the food is not going to write home about but it will be decent.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 219 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 294

As a homebrewer who likes to keep it simple as far as my recipes go I think it's a pretty funny commercial that certainly reminds me of some of the recipes I've seen here.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
billf2112
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Anyone have a good bratwurst beer recipe?

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Old 10-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
MyNameIsPaul
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by billf2112 View Post
Anyone have a good bratwurst beer recipe?
I only use Johnsonville brats, sliced lengthwise and added while still frozen to primary at high krausen. They help keep the temps down. I Drykraut with 20z Sauerkraut, not the cheap canned stuff, but the bagged stuff in the deli. Serve with a spicy mustard shooter and enjoy!

See one melée of unruly people, and you've seen a maul.

People Like This 
Old 10-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Yeah, it's hard to believe how many homebrewers are SO insecure about their hobby and how folks might perceive them, that instead of being flattered that something they are interested and passionate about is getting satired, they get their widdle feelings hurt, or pissed off about it.

Talk about being thinned skinned.

Usually when we're bothered by something, deep down we believe it. So if folks get upset about a commercial poking fun at homebrewing they must think, deep down that there's a grain of truth to it....that maybe homebrew IS inferior to craft beer, or they suck as a brewer.

Me, I think it's a hilarious spoof on our hobby. I think it shows that homebrewing's gaining a level of cachet these day, that it's growing in popularity. Heck even the White House is brewing now (if you haven't heard )

If anything maybe it's BWW that is threatened by the rise in homebrewing. Remember when Budweiser, feeling threatened by craft beers picked on them? It's probably not too different. But I really doubt it, since they support homebrewing AND craft beer in many states.

A wise man (I think it was a character on the West Wing) once said, "If they're shooting at you, that means you must be doing something right."

I'm more flattered by the commercial than bothered. It's nice to be hearing mention of homebrewing....

And this year the ones in Michigan were huge supporters of Michigan Craft Beer Month, even selling a really nice commemorative glass with part of the money going to the Michigan Brewer's Guild.

The BWWs in Michigan have Founder's Dirty Bastard, Bell's Two Hearted Ale, New Holland Mad Hatter, Ichibod pumpkin ale And Dragonmead Final Absolution Tripel on Tap, with another 11 craft beers as well.

My co-minister and I and a couple volunteers from my Church have been going straight there on Sundays after service to catch the lions games.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

Well now I've just got to youtube search this commercial. All, 100%, of my friends made fun of "homebrew", until they came over. Who cares, it's a hobby.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I think the commercial is hilarious. I also think BWW's food is overrated and the one near me doesn't serve anything other than BMC. So I'll laugh at the commercial, applaud their marketing department, enjoy the extra publicity for the hobby, and continue not to eat there. No one should be up in arms about a commercial the public won't remember in 6 months.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
FreshZ
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
The BWWs in Michigan have Founder's Dirty Bastard, Bell's Two Hearted Ale, New Holland Mad Hatter, Ichibod pumpkin ale And Dragonmead Final Absolution Tripel on Tap, with another 11 craft beers as well.

My co-minister and I and a couple volunteers from my Church have been going straight there on Sundays after service to catch the lions games.
That selection would make me like them too!

The locations in my area carry zero IPA's Belgians, Porters, Stouts (cept Guiness), or anything else hallway decent. We get SA Boston lager, bass, blue moon, shock top, etc. nothing really special.

I can't understand serving spicy foods without offering some IPA's. I'll get it to go and enjoy some hoppy homebrew with it.

Primary: Nothing
Primary: Nothing
Secondary: MVP (Manly Vanilla Porter),
Bottled: Cali Common, I.P.K., CTZ SMaSH yeast experiment, FUBAR IPA, Barleywine, Columbus Day Milk Stout, Narwhal ESB...
On Deck: Domaine DuPage clone, Heady Topper clone, Oaked Imp. Stout

Quick Reply