Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Ever replicated a commercial beer by coincidence?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 03:18 AM   #1
Ogri
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 829
Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default Ever replicated a commercial beer by coincidence?

Just wondering how many others on here have had their beers turn out similar to a commercial one by coincidence.

First attempt at AG/BIAB using Maris Otter, crystal 70L, a tiny amount of chocolate wheat and some brown sugar, Nugget for bittering, Fuggles and Kent Goldings for flavour and aroma that I was thinking/hoping might get me close to an old crafty hen or old speckled hen but fell a little short of that goal.

Last night I picked up a bottle of Belhaven Twisted Thistle IPA, as I had an inkling that mine was similar, and did a head to head with my beer. The resemblance is quite surprising.

Neither are all that great

__________________
Ogri is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
 
nukebrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 4,745
Liked 2554 Times on 1504 Posts
Likes Given: 5742

Default

I brewed a brown ale once, my own recipe with no intention of cloning anything, but I was drinking it one night after having had some Hobgoblin a few days before and said to myself, "Damn, this is the spitting image of Hobgoblin. Score!" A few days later I was drinking a real Hobgoblin and asked my wife to try it and tell me what it tasted like. She said it tasted like my brown.

__________________

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

nukebrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
Ogri
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 829
Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukebrewer View Post
I brewed a brown ale once, my own recipe with no intention of cloning anything, but I was drinking it one night after having had some Hobgoblin a few days before and said to myself, "Damn, this is the spitting image of Hobgoblin. Score!" A few days later I was drinking a real Hobgoblin and asked my wife to try it and tell me what it tasted like. She said it tasted like my brown.

Hobgoblin is one of the Wychwood beers I can find at the local off license here and really like, but not the price Costs about the equivalent of $6 a bottle for the 500ml bombers). Don't suppose that you still have the recipe and could post?
__________________
Ogri is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,099
Liked 4479 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Default

I did something very similar. I wanted to make a Fat Tire clone for a friend- but I had to sub some of the malt and sub of the hops out due to availability.

The resulting beer tasted remarkably like Sam Adams Boston Ale.

I changed it a bit for my friend's taste, I then posted my recipe as "Fat Sam". It's actually an excellent beer. My friend loved it, and always called it his favorite beer. I made it for him several times.

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Ogri
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 829
Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I did something very similar. I wanted to make a Fat Tire clone for a friend- but I had to sub some of the malt and sub of the hops out due to availability.

The resulting beer tasted remarkably like Sam Adams Boston Ale.

I changed it a bit for my friend's taste, I then posted my recipe as "Fat Sam". It's actually an excellent beer. My friend loved it, and always called it his favorite beer. I made it for him several times.

Reminds me of the film "Bugsy Malone" with Jody Foster and all the pie slinging Tommy guns

Will Check out the recipe.
__________________
Ogri is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 29,094
Liked 2023 Times on 1772 Posts
Likes Given: 1502

Default

My 2nd brew came from a 2 year old can of Cooper's OS lager With some fresh DME & hops. About 2 months later I had what looked & tasted like Salvator doppel bock. Brewed with ale yeast,I got chewwed out pretty bad with all the you can't do that,it isn't a lager,it's not strong enough...blah blah blah blah ,yada yada yada yada. Chewed on left & right. Hey,It tasted pretty darn close,& the bottle did say ale on it. It'd be harder to reproduce next time around...Called it summer ale in my gallery.
__________________
Everything works if ya let it-Roady(meatloaf)
My new book is on Amazon Kindle! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L3MCU0W
unionrdr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
 
nukebrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 4,745
Liked 2554 Times on 1504 Posts
Likes Given: 5742

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogri View Post
Hobgoblin is one of the Wychwood beers I can find at the local off license here and really like, but not the price Costs about the equivalent of $6 a bottle for the 500ml bombers). Don't suppose that you still have the recipe and could post?
I don't have the recipe anymore, but I think I can recall something that's pretty close.

10 lbs 2-row
.5 lb Biscuit
.5 lb Honey Malt
.25 lb Chocolate Malt

1.5 oz Willamette @ 60 min

US-05

Kind of a hybrid between and English and an American brown. Enjoy!
__________________

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

nukebrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nice coincidence! Stauffbier General Beer Discussion 8 04-08-2012 05:12 PM
Austin Buffalo....Coincidence? Conan General Beer Discussion 13 12-14-2011 03:06 PM
Many all-grains .... first stuck sparge, first time using braid. Coincidence? SamuraiSquirrel All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 13 04-01-2010 05:20 PM
Amazing discovery/coincidence today! Reno_eNVy Equipment/Sanitation 1 01-28-2009 04:54 AM
Odd coincidence: three batches dying at same time cweston General Beer Discussion 1 07-17-2006 04:10 PM