The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > ever had an allergic reaction.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2008, 05:22 AM   #11
PUD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i was trying a store bought beer.. shellfish, those bastards!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #12
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

It could be histamines in the beer. I just did a little reading up on this for a friend. Many fermented foods (cheese, beer, wine, cured sausages, saurkraut) can contain histmines and some people are particularly sensitive to them. This IS NOT classified as being allergic to something, more along the lines of being a chemical sensitivity, even though the net result is often the same (different process though). I have another friend whose wife was tested negative for milk allergies and lactose intolerance, but many cheeses cause her problems. It's a good chance it is a reaction to histamines.

I did find one paper that says that properly made wine should not contain histamines. This paper was saying that histimines that are produced by bacterial contaminants, not the yeast. I did however see other (non-scientific) web references that says yeast are a source.

Try some lambics or other sour beers and see what happens. It could just be specific beers, not all beers. Better sanitation = less problems

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 03-06-2008, 07:00 PM   #13
RookieBrew
Recipes 

I once had a roomate that was allergic to the Iodine I used to clean equipment and bottles. I always took extra care to dry my bottles after soaking them before bottling... perhaps something along these lines?

Old 03-07-2008, 12:30 AM   #14
PUD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

star-san ftw! i've switched sanitizers the past two batches. seems like starsan does an awesome job and it even has the little measuring thingy so i don't over use it. of course i haven't experienced the reaction with one of my beers. i've even made some pretty spoiled batches. had a couple new belgium trippel's the other night. no issues there? i'll have to look into histimines if the problem comes about again.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:35 AM   #15
Newfermenter1

Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Yes! And I had a similar reaction once. Felt like there was a knot in my gut, and I had the same "bloating" reaction. Once and a blue moon have a reaction to beer with to much hops, something my grandfather had an alergy with. Every so often I have a beer (generally when in Europe) that gives me this gut "knot" and I can tell right away, so I give the beer to a friend and order another style. I sometimes get this from white wine as well, but dont know what it is about. Strange $hit! Glad to know I am not the only one out there!

Quick Reply