The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Ever feel close to giving up?? OR Has your beer always been good??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2007, 12:10 AM   #11
Foreigner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Maybe the problem, as dibby suggests, is that you are making brews you are unfamiliar with. If I were expecting a commercial lager and got an english ale I would be really confused.

That being said, all of my beers ~12 have been drinkable. This is not to say they''ve always turned out as planned. Just drunk with an open mind..

I once really screwed up. I got mollasses happy and it tasted like...wait for it...mollasses. yuck. I managed to salvage it by turning it into a heavily gingered ale (I noticed the grossness in the secondary).

I have had one batch where a few bottles had visible signs of infection (ring around top of bottles, cloudy), but were still drinkable.

I try not to drink anything harder than Gin before breakfast - W.C. Fields

Primaries: Ed's Haus + Munich, Ed's Haus + medium crystal

Secondaries: suck :)

Bottles: Chili Stout, Dry Irish Stout, Bitter Ass IPA, Headstrong Munich Lager clone, Lawnmower ale with chocolate and munich malt

Bulk Aging: Wildberry Sweet Mead - Orange Vanilla Dry Mead

Up Next: Orfy's Old Speckled Hen and an IPA of some kind

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2007, 12:34 AM   #12
davidr2340
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 16

If I where you bro... I would pick up a extract kit from Homebrew Heaven! All of my batches, except two, have been kits from there. If I am able to get them to come out good... You should be fine!!!
Let's get together, and brew a batch or two one of these weekends!!!

Primary: Empty
Kegged: Hazelnut Brown Ale / Tipple Twister Barleywine

Last edited by davidr2340; 06-25-2007 at 12:37 AM.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:02 AM   #13
mward
Recipes 

Not from beer I've made, but I got sick of bottling once 10 years ago and quit for 9 years. I hate cleaning bottles.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:07 AM   #14
Buford

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've had one dumper due to infection in 14 batches. Other than that, no other batch was undrinkable. A few batches were mediocre, but still drinkable.

FERMENTING: ---
KEGGED/IN STORAGE: ---
KEGGED/ON TAP: ---

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion

Old 06-25-2007, 02:18 AM   #15
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I hope you enjoy the brewing process. A losing record can be tough, but if you enjoy the process the bad ones are just a learning experience. I would say to keep crankin' em out, fast and many- I can't imagine you won't get into positive territory soon. I love the process, so a bad batch is usually just a learning experience, I try to brew again as soon as possible - get back on the horse. To me, you gotta love the process. I'm addicted. Not to mock those with drug problems, but herione - schmeroin.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:38 AM   #16
Rook
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Heh, sorry guys, I guess I wasn't clear enough. I'm happy! The last beer I tried was good and I can explain away most of the other failures, so I'm really NOT unhappy.

I've had 2 recent succesess, 1 failure (not sure why that one didn't work), but my partial mash's have been better.

I WAS concerned because when I tried it earlier it sucked, a week changed it drastically, made me much happier.

Its all good guys, I just wanted to know if you guys had a steep 'quality' curve or if it was just me.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:12 AM   #17
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook
Guys, I just wanted to share with you. I was getting really depressed with my brews and was pretty close to just giving up and going back to commercial craft brews recently.
That didn't sound happy to me. But, I guess you're just seeing if others had steep "learning curves'. I consider myself lucky, first brew was extract/steep kit done w/o reading anything but the instructions it came with, for SWMBO. I was hooked, read alot and went AG next(2nd ever) brew with a barleywine that I had to add vanilla syrup(not extract) and apple syrup to get my target gravity. It is so good I have brewed 2 more similar since to prevent myself from drinking the original(which is impossible to closely duplicate to to my inexperience - terrible sparging method and lack of notes at the time). No infections and no bad brews(not just my opinion) yet. Go with proven recipes and give the beer time to condition properly -my 2 cents.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:07 PM   #18
Rook
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney
That didn't sound happy to me.
it was more of:

Quote:
Guys, I just wanted to share with you. I was getting really depressed with my brews and was pretty close to just giving up and going back to commercial craft brews recently.

Until yesterday, to date, I'd had 1 successful batch, my 5th. It was good beer, a beer that I'd be pretty happy with if I was served at a bar.
:-)

Old 06-25-2007, 02:12 PM   #19
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Heh, sorry guys, I guess I wasn't clear enough. I'm happy! The last beer I tried was good and I can explain away most of the other failures, so I'm really NOT unhappy.
What do you attribute the problems too?

Old 06-25-2007, 02:35 PM   #20
Drunkensatyr

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Luckily I have only had 1 batch down the drain. We used a cheap arse ingredient in a heffe (knew better than to use it at the friggin time) and after 3 months in a keg, there was still 4.9 gallons so I pitched it.

Quick Reply