Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > The ever changing opinions of proper techniques in brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 02:26 AM   #81
granpooba19
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudbuster View Post
You been brewing for TWO WHOLE YEARS!!! Wow, you must be some kind of expert by now. Have you thought about just going back to brewing and getting over yourself? Some of us have been homebrewing for over 35 years and after many experiments, bow to the time honored traditions. Those people were not fools, and they had hundreds of years to perfect their knowledge. Why do you suppose Sam Adams brews in the traditional manner? Some of their beers are decoction brewed.

Yeah, concerning the premise for your post, I can agree, you can hear anything anymore because there are a bunch of WANNABEEs only interested in trying to exalt themselves with their supposed knowledge of brewing. My suggestion is to ground oneself in Fix, Donaldson, Miller, Noonan, and those who have proven themselves, then forget about the Johnny-come-lately bunch with all their mis-information.
That was constructive

I, on the other hand, didn't know that waiting ten minutes after batch sparging wasn't really thought of as required anymore. Thanks for the tip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 02:31 AM   #82
moti_mo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I typically plan my brew-days at least a week ahead. I've actually got them planned for the rest of this year (not that much of a stretch though). I like to plan the next 2-3 so that I make sure I have the ingredients I need to make them.

No, I was never a Boy Scout, but I'm very often more than a little prepared. I know where my towel is, and I got my pocket knife on me...
That's cool. Everybody's lives and brewing styles are a little bit different!

Old 11-30-2012, 02:39 AM   #83
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 5

In my many months on this forum, this is the greatest thread I've had the pleasure to read. Major bonus for the great nuggets of knowledge from Revvy. And props to all the other knowledge bombs dropped in this thread

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

People Like This 
Old 11-30-2012, 02:43 AM   #84
metanoia
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Thanks for the info Golddiggie, I'm definitely leaning towards Yeast. Yeast and fermentation really are the most important parts of brewing and I really want to start refining my process soon.

On Deck:

Thinking about racking to a secondary? Read this first.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:03 AM   #85
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by metanoia View Post
Thanks for the info Golddiggie, I'm definitely leaning towards Yeast. Yeast and fermentation really are the most important parts of brewing and I really want to start refining my process soon.
Knowing how to better treat your yeast, through information provided in that book, will go a long way (IMO/IME) towards getting even better brews. Next to yeast treatment, I think recipe formulation is the next important thing. Knowing how different malts/ingredients work together (or don't) is huge. I'm a firm believer in using a handful of malts, and hops, to get my batches. I use about 7-8 non-base malts in my recipes (not all in the same one, just those are what I use more often). There are a couple that I very rarely use too. I'm using just two base malts right now too (both from the UK). For hops, I have only a few varieties on hand, that I've been using. Most of my brews, lately, have been single hoped.
Using software (BeerSmith), I"m able to formulate my brews pretty tight prior to when I'll be brewing them. Many times, I've got the recipe set a few brews ahead. For me, that helps to ensure I'll have the ingredients needed for that batch on hand when it comes time.

As it's been said many times before, over many threads on this site... Ask a dozen brewers how they brew, and you'll probably get close to a dozen completely different setups. You'll probably get at least half a dozen very different methods being used too. Not a one of them is 100% right or wrong as long as they produce good/great beer.

BTW, sudbuster, who pissed in your beer??

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
Revvy Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 03:11 AM   #86
metanoia
Recipes 

Love it, Golddiggie. I think my first real project into refining the ingredients aspect of brewing is to stick with a SMaSH I just brewed with Maris Otter and UK Goldings. I hope to pitch on to that yeast cake or use some washed yeast (depends what works best) from one batch to the next, then tweak how the outcome is with different levels of malt, hops, toasting some of the malt, fermentation temp, etc.

If my wife hadn't just gotten pregnant I'd probably be making some darker stouts and porters for her, but now that we're working on baby #3 I'll probably be sticking to simpler golden/cooper brews in the near future (my preference). Probably best for a new all-grainer to keep it simple.

On Deck:

Old 11-30-2012, 03:15 AM   #87
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Both of the MO SMaSH recipes I have posted are also with EKG. Check them out for ideas. Rebel Brewer carries the crystal MO. I really like the batches with either Wyeast 1882-PC or 1335. I make starters (haven't washed yeast in some time) so that I know I have the cell count needed. Before you start pitching onto the cakes, read the Yeast book. IMO/IME, you'll be very glad you did.

BTW, I include fermenting temperature control in 'yeast treatment' since temperature heavily impacts what a yeast will do/give you.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-30-2012, 03:23 AM   #88
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudbuster View Post
You been brewing for TWO WHOLE YEARS!!! Wow, you must be some kind of expert by now. Have you thought about just going back to brewing and getting over yourself? Some of us have been homebrewing for over 35 years
What on Earth is your problem?? I guess your personality matches your avatar. This is not the first time you've come into a thread of mine with anger and aggression over NOTHING! I've never done anything to you so I don't know why you are harassing me, are you just an angry drinker or something? I've reported your post. I have no idea what your purpose is on this forum. NOTHING I've said is to frown down upon anyone's techniques or to challenge anyone and I'd stated that in my original post. You sir need some serious help and you really should not be posting on public forums. And by the way, I've decocted many times, my point about decocting is OTHERS saying it's a waste of time and my asking how if it's a long held tradition over many centuries. Did you even read my post?

Rev.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #89
metanoia
Recipes 

Thanks for the heads up. I'd say I'd bookmark both of your MO SMaSH recipes, but I already have the ESB one bookmarked from a few weeks ago! I used it somewhat as a basis for my first attempt, while mixing in some other bits of info I picked up from other places. It actually wasn't a true SMaSH because I couldn't get Crystal MO at the LHBS and I was itching to brew, so I used 1lb of Crystal 60L and 10lb of MO. 1oz of UKG at 60, 15, and 3. I also had two packets of S-04 in the fridge that I wanted to use, so that's what I pitched.

For future brews I plan on toasting 2lb of the MO a few weeks ahead of time and mixing with 8-9lb untoasted. I'm sure I'll try with some Crystal MO in the future as well. ESBs are really one of my favorites so I can see this sticking around. Plus, I like the name I made for it: Smashing Bitters.

On Deck:

Golddiggie Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 03:37 AM   #90
granpooba19
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
What on Earth is your problem?? I guess your personality matches your avatar. This is not the first time you've come into a thread of mine with anger and aggression over NOTHING! I've never done anything to you so I don't know why you are harassing me, are you just an angry drinker or something? I've reported your post. I have no idea what your purpose is on this forum. NOTHING I've said is to frown down upon anyone's techniques or to challenge anyone and I'd stated that in my original post. You sir need some serious help and you really should not be posting on public forums. And by the way, I've decocted many times, my point about decocting is OTHERS saying it's a waste of time and my asking how if it's a long held tradition over many centuries. Did you even read my post?

Rev.

Quick Reply