Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > The ever changing opinions of proper techniques in brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #191
remandsager
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

...and you can make your own chiller (we did) with less than $50 or so of copper coil from Home Depot...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #192
cbehr
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
If you get a "keezer" (Gawd, I hate that word) before you get a wort chiiler, you need to re-examine your priorities IMO. A chiller will very likely improve the quality of your beer. Isn't that more important?
But that's my point, one theory has always been you need to cool your wort ASAP to avoid infections and improve quality etc etc. That thought does not hold true. Check out this great thread on no-chill brewing.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/expl...rewing-117111/

I did a kolsch batch, granted it was only one experiment, the standard brewing/cooling method and then again the no chill adjusted hop schedule and could tell no difference. I did save several bottles of the first batch to compare directly side by side with the no chill version and althought I'm no beer judge I couldn't tell a difference. Maybe it's becasue it's not a real hoppy beer, maybe my taste buds are off but to me they were exactly the same.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #193
SpacemanSpiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010

Does it really? I chill my wort down in average NY/NJ fall weather within 11-13 minutes. In the winter I chill it down in about 8 minutes. After that I can aerate, pitch my yeast, and off it goes. Are you somehow fermenting in the keg or are you just using it to hold the wort sealed? Because if it's just a holding vessle then it also has to be washed as well and so does the tubing you'd be using to transfer out of the keg to the fermenter. That doesn't sound like much if any time saved IMO.

Rev.
What sort of mythical underground glacier water are you using! Chilling takes me at least 30 mins and that's with me semi-actively stirring. Easily 45-60 mins is probably more typical. I don't have a pre-chiller though.

No chill is intriguing. I just haven't had the push to try it yet. I do worry about having to alter my hop schedules.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #194
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbehr View Post
I did a kolsch batch, granted it was only one experiment, the standard brewing/cooling method and then again the no chill adjusted hop schedule and could tell no difference.
How did you do one the standard cooling method without a wort chiller? If you're talking about an ice bath, to which you said takes you an hours time, that is not to be considered rapid cooling of the wort. Most of what I've read says you will get a lot less chill haze the faster you chill the wort. Could be why you didn't see much of a difference?

Rev.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #195
moti_mo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
What sort of mythical underground glacier water are you using! Chilling takes me at least 30 mins and that's with me semi-actively stirring. Easily 45-60 mins is probably more typical. I don't have a pre-chiller though.

No chill is intriguing. I just haven't had the push to try it yet. I do worry about having to alter my hop schedules.
I used to be at 30 - 45 minutes until I started using a pre-chiller. Now, I can usually get to pitching temps within 15 - 20 minutes for 10 - 11 gallons.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #196
Rev2010
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
What sort of mythical underground glacier water are you using!
It's water from deep within a Unicorn cave. Lol, I just use a single 25' copper wort chiller bought from Northern Brewer. I hook it up to the garden hose outside in my back yard, which is also where I boil on a Blichmann burner. I open up the garden hose faucet all the way. Once the wort gets between 120-140 I start stirring the wort with the chiller to circulate it and cool it faster. I do also gently move the chiller in a circle to circulate the wort when it's hot but I do it very gently just to be cautious, hotside aeration myth vs. reality or not.

As noted, when the ground water is cold it chills very very fast. Btw, I've seen many others post with the same chill times as I.

Rev.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #197
cbehr
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
How did you do one the standard cooling method without a wort chiller? If you're talking about an ice bath, to which you said takes you an hours time, that is not to be considered rapid cooling of the wort. Most of what I've read says you will get a lot less chill haze the faster you chill the wort. Could be why you didn't see much of a difference?

Rev.
It was a 2.5G batch that I cooled in the sink with an ice bath. It probably does take 45-60 minutes until I pitch the yeast but I get a cold break pretty quickly as it drops from boiling decently fast, just takes a while to finish chilling. I by no means consider myself and expert, that could be part of the reason why I couldn't tell which was which, but even if I got chill haze that wouldn't have an impact on taste?

Old 12-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #198
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
It's water from deep within a Unicorn cave.
You live in North Korea?

http://now.msn.com/north-korean-news...d-unicorn-lair
Old 12-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #199
bmeyer46
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

around here, this summer, you were lucky if the groundwater was under 80 degrees...I'm sure Australia is worse. And some places have water restrictions so running 50 gallons down the driveway would be really frowned upon.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #200
Rev2010
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeyer46 View Post
around here, this summer, you were lucky if the groundwater was under 80 degrees...I'm sure Australia is worse. And some places have water restrictions so running 50 gallons down the driveway would be really frowned upon.
The ground water in Jersey where I live during the summer is typically around 75-80 as well, one of the other reasons I stop brewing late spring and summer.

Rev.

Quick Reply