Ever brewed a good beer you just don't like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skadalajara

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Arizona, the northernmost state in Mexico.
So I decided to see what went into a hefeweizen. (6# wheat DME, tetnager, Weihenstephan yeast, BTW. Who knew?)
It's been in the bottle over a week, after sitting in primary for a month. Ferm temps got a lil warm, as we had a heat wave while it was going.
It tastes like a hefe. My hefe drinking roommates and Gf all loved it green.
I cracked one the other night to check carb/age. It tastes like a freakin smoothie. Now, keep in mind I hate the taste of bananas. So I will likely not be drinking a single drop of this batch.
My roommies and GF will be very happy, though.
Ok, maybe I'll cellar a 6pk for 6 mo just to see.

Yup, hefe for me too. Last summer I did up a batch with WLP380 and would have dumped it out if my wife and friends didn't enjoy it so much.

A hoegaarden clone. It was alright, drinkable for sure, but i didnt like it all that much. It was actually made for the SWMBO because she loves the stuff, and she hated it. My dad on the other hand loved it and finished off both cases for me.

I hate bananas too.

Hefe will probably be the last of the BJCP ale styles I will brew - and then promptly donate to someone else.

I have a 35 IBU APA on tap right now that tastes like a Blonde Ale. It's good, I'm just not happy with it. Time to bottle it off and put something else on tap.

I have a 35 IBU APA on tap right now that tastes like a Blonde Ale. It's good, I'm just not happy with it. Time to bottle it off and put something else on tap.
You are just a hop head, but I am as well the more the better!

I did an IPA w/ Nottingham that blew up and got a bit too warm in the process...combined w/ a water salts fubar it's too harsh. I don't dig on Notty in the first place but when it's really estery, I'd rather dump it...I have a buddy that has no problem drinking this harsh estery mess fortunately.

ONLY beer I have hated is Cream of Three Crops. Many people love it but it's the flavor I run from - yuk!

I guess I don't experiment with styles that I don't like. I'm not a fan of banana/bubble gum or an insane hop resin beer so I'm not going to brew that.

Might do bugs but I need to sample more before I put the time into sticking a dowel through a bung. :D

My first lager had a banana taste to it. It was too warm to start and never got very cold. I also made a Hefe that I don't think is great with the banana taste, but others like it. I don't like either of them, but that doesn't mean they went to waste.

The Caramel Cream Ale was one that didn't do much for me. The other one was my Lumberjack's Breakfast Stout. The concept was good, smoke for bacon, oatmeal, and coffee (breakfast fare), but I didn't use the correct method for adding coffee, and even after a couple months it tasted like nasty, disgusting coffee and I dumped half a keg.

A hoegaarden clone. It was alright, drinkable for sure, but i didnt like it all that much. It was actually made for the SWMBO because she loves the stuff, and she hated it. My dad on the other hand loved it and finished off both cases for me.

just did a hoegarden clone this weekend, i hope it turns out well!

ONLY beer I have hated is Cream of Three Crops. Many people love it but it's the flavor I run from - yuk!

My one and only try at cream of three crops didn't turn out great either. Lot's of people like it but to me it tastes very cidery, which I attribute to the long low mash and adjuncts.

I've never met a good beer I didn't like. I have met plenty of mediocre and poor beers I didn't like.

If you don't like a certain style when you buy micros, you are highly unlikely to like your homebrewed version... unless you have a massive self delusion about your homebrewing prowess and always love whatever you make.

FWIW Wyeast 3068 (Weihenstephaner Weizen) is a MASSIVE banana and bubblegum bomb if you don't control fermentation temps. It has to be kept cool or the esters run away with the show to ill effect.

There have been a few homebrews that we did that I didn't like. For me, its generally a style problem. Its almost a relief when I realize that its not actually a problem with the beer or just the brewing process, just an issue with the style.

Gedvondur

So I decided to see what went into a hefeweizen....It tastes like a freakin smoothie. Now, keep in mind I hate the taste of bananas. So I will likely not be drinking a single drop of this batch.

I cringe when Hefe's are (all too often) thrown out there as suggestions for new brewers who want to brew a relatively quick beer for an upcoming party. Talk about a way to turn people away from homebrew. :mad:

One of my first brews was a hefe...because it sounded cool. Talk about a cup-o-clove.

I enjoy a well brewed hefe once in a while (like Edwort brews)...but they aren't keg material in my house.

A well made hefe is heaven. I've not made that one yet but I've come somewhat close, and I've missed the mark by a F'in mile(most attempts).
That and a Belgian Wit are hard to do without a lot of practice and I like hops too much to practice

I cringe when Hefe's are (all too often) thrown out there as suggestions for new brewers who want to brew a relatively quick beer for an upcoming party. Talk about a way to turn people away from homebrew. :mad:

One of my first brews was a hefe...because it sounded cool. Talk about a cup-o-clove.

I enjoy a well brewed hefe once in a while (like Edwort brews)...but they aren't keg material in my house.

A well made hefe is heaven. I've not made that one yet but I've come somewhat close, and I've missed the mark by a F'in mile(most attempts).
That and a Belgian Wit are hard to do without a lot of practice and I like hops too much to practice

It's funny how opinions differ on hefes. I'm in the "hate" camp. I dislike wheat in beer, and I really dislike fruit and cloves. So, a hefe strikes out on all counts for me. I don't like Wits one bit, either!

My only "bad" beer was the vanilla caramel cream ale recipe. It was absolutely horrible (think beer flavored cream soda), but my best friend loved it.

Now I brew only beers I know I'll like. Maybe I'm limiting myself, but then again, I sure do like lots of beers!

SWMBO bought me a Brown Ale kit, I don't really like brown ales besides Newcastle. Turned out allright but I wouldn't choose to brew it.

Sour beers. I made 10g of a raspberry lambic. I thought I had f'd up big time.. till I went to the liquor store and bought a Belgian raspberry lambic.

Still drank the stuff though... It took 6 months to finish off the 2 kegs. lol that's a verrrrrrry long time around here! Glad I had spare kegs for other beers.

Oddest thing that it was the girlie drink drinking women that seemed to drink the most of it. You know, the type that love Smirnoff ice but hate beer.

No no - my Cream of 3 Crops came out fine - just don't like that flavor. young drinkers love it - I think it is too . . . . . macro tasting.

No no - my Cream of 3 Crops came out fine - just don't like that flavor. young drinkers love it - I think it is too . . . . . macro tasting.

I actually like this beer in the hot season...after a lot of yard work....or around the pool.

Truth be told, I brew this for the BMC crowd. Given the choice though...I'll move over a couple of taps and draw up a nice Special Bitters or Haus APA.

Sour beers. I made 10g of a raspberry lambic. I thought I had f'd up big time.. till I went to the liquor store and bought a Belgian raspberry lambic.

Ditto. I was weaned on Miller Lite and Old Milwaukee. I started homebrewing at a pretty early age. My brother and I brewed a ton. The coffee table in his apartment was 12 cases of longnecks filled with ass't homebrews with a sheet over it. After home-brewing for several months, we decided to try various imports to compare to what we're making. We went to an Old Chicago and ordered a couple of English nut brown ales. We each took a sip...grimaced... and simultaneously stated 'ew, it tastes like homebrew!!!' We didn't know that we'd been brewing decent beer all of this time. Thankfully, my tastes have matured. Some time later, I tried my hand at a barley wine. Ew... tasted like fermented prune juice. So I tried a couple of other commercial barley wines, and they tasted the same. I won't brew that again.

I brewed JZ's Cream Ale and didn't like it. Like Grinder noted, the younger guys drank it like gatorade.

I find most North American barley wines to be waaaaaaaay off the mark. Best I ever had was at Swans Hotel (huge brewpub) in Victoria. They mske it once a year and I think it ages for at least a year. Very diff. tasting than the American BW's i tried.

I find most North American barley wines to be waaaaaaaay off the mark. Best I ever had was at Swans Hotel (huge brewpub) in Victoria. They mske it once a year and I think it ages for at least a year. Very diff. tasting than the American BW's i tried.

You can't think of most American barleywines as anything like regular barleywines (there are exceptions, of course). Traditional barleywines, as the name implies, emphasize the malted barley a lot more; the hops are present, but proportionally to the malt.

American barleywines would often be better named "Triple American IPAs" (assuming that you've gotten past the difference between American IPAs and true IPAs already) or something--calling them barleywines is just confusing. They can be fantastic brews, but if you're going in expecting a traditional barleywine then you're going to be a bit mystified.

I actually do like some hefes. SN, Paulaner to name a couple off the top of my head. And it tasted great in the sample tube after FG reading. But after a week in the bottle, it's nastified.
I'll brew it again... after I build my ferminator. :) I may try a different yeast, though.

Back