Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > European Vacation - brewery tours in Holland/Germany?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
Psych
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default European Vacation - brewery tours in Holland/Germany?

My wife and I are going to spend 10 days in Holland in late May, and then 10 days in Germany right after, and we're super stoked!

Now we're just looking at how to fill some dead space in Amsterdam (we have 3 days with few plans after a 7 day bicycle tour), and will then have 2 days in Munich right after that before a 7 day rail tour.

I was of course thinking "Gotta visit the Heineken Experience" but looking at it a bit more I don't think it looks very interesting...I want to see breweries in action, not "design a bottle for an exorbitant fee".

So is there anywhere in Amsterdam or area that can recommend a good brewery or pubs to visit?

And for Munich the same, we're thinking about a walking brewery tour there already (walking to a few breweries) but if there's some hidden gems, I'd love to know about them!

Super excited to get away for 3 weeks for this, my wife's family is from Holland and my mom's from Germany.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych View Post
And for Munich the same, we're thinking about a walking brewery tour there already (walking to a few breweries) but if there's some hidden gems, I'd love to know about them!
You could take the S1 train up to Freising and do a tour of Weihenstephan, the world's oldest brewery. Half hour on the train each way but worth it IMO. May as well tour the church in town while you're there.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 04-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
joef9800
Recipes 

Be sure to hit up the Augustiner braustuben, only a 10 minute walk from the train station in Munich. And do try the crispy pork knuckle while you're in there

Old 04-25-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
Duckbrew
Recipes 

JoeF9800 First post and you're talking about "crispy pork knuckles?" Nice..

Old 04-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
Psych
Recipes 

I think these both are doable! I'd read about the Weihenstephan brewery before but had forgotten about it since, this would be a great thing to do and it may be along our route out of Munich anyhow!

Our hotel in Munich is like right near the main train station, so we'll put Augustiner braustuben on the list I really am looking forward to sampling true German food (beyond what I ate as a child )

Old 04-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
jr82
Recipes 

I'm heading to Munich in sept so interested to hear suggestions as well. Research so far had indicated Augustiner as a good bet.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:02 AM   #7
Wingy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you're in Amsterdam for a few days definitely visit brouwerij 't ij - it's not really a brewery that you can tour, but it's a fun stop where you can get some great Dutch beer and sit by the river in a less touristy and friendlier part of town. It gets bonus points for being in a windmill.

Reason: Spelling...

Old 04-26-2012, 01:58 AM   #8
Psych
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
If you're in Amsterdam for a few days definitely visit brouwerij t'ij - it's not really a brewery that you can tour, but it's a fun stop where you can get some great Dutch beer and sit by the river in a less touristy and friendlier part of town. It gets bonus points for being in a windmill.
Ooo this is good stuff! Will put this on the list to check out, thanks Wingy!

Donor Fridge Fermentation Chamber

Old 04-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
AllHopAbandon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Café 't Arendsnest is a pub that serves Dutch beers only. 500+ beers from 50 Dutch breweries, 30 taps, should be interesting to visit. Another option is The Beer Temple, that one specializes in beers from the US. A common reaction from Americans (edit: or Canadians ) visiting the Beer Temple is "Wow, you have <insert beer here>?! I can't even get that back home!" Might be worth a visit. Both pubs are in Amsterdam.

May 10th until May 20th is The Week of Dutch Beer, with all kinds of activities all over the country.

Have a good trip!

Old 04-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 22

in addition to the above, if you are in holland then, saturday 19th may is the utrecht beer festival. the gabf it isn't, but it should be a good time. i'll be the smiling drunk one so say hi if you make it.
brouwerij de molen is makes very interesting beers and does tours, tastings, food etc:
http://www.brouwerijdemolen.nl/
la trappe is the only trappist brewery not in belgium, don't know if they do tours.

Quick Reply