Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > European Pilsner
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
hog2up
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 53
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default European Pilsner

Looking for feedback on a few things. is 150F for 60 minutes a good mash temp for this light bodies lager?

going to do my first batch sparge (usually fly sparge). should i strike with about 180, or a little lower at 170-75?

lastly, for my yeast starter, do you ferment it at 65 vs. cooler lager yeast temp of 45F?

Thanks

screen-shot-2013-01-03-5.07.50-pm.jpg  
__________________
hog2up is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
aiptasia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Them Scary Woods, FL
Posts: 3,519
Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Default

Strike about 10 degrees hotter than you'd like the grain bed to be, as adding the grains to the water will bring the temperature down that much. Approx. 153 F is recommended for good Saccharification. To quote John Palmer, "a mash ratio of about 1.5 quarts of water per pound grain, pH of 5.3, temperature of 150-155°F and a time of about one hour."

__________________
Paranormal Brewing
Beer so good, it's frightening.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.
aiptasia is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
hog2up
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 53
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia
Strike about 10 degrees hotter than you'd like the grain bed to be, as adding the grains to the water will bring the temperature down that much. Approx. 153 F is recommended for good Saccharification. To quote John Palmer, "a mash ratio of about 1.5 quarts of water per pound grain, pH of 5.3, temperature of 150-155°F and a time of about one hour."
I was questioning beer smith...it said 148f for strike. Maybe I should target 152f. How hot should batch sparge water be...assuming I'm targeting bringing mash temp up to about to about 165F?
__________________
hog2up is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
slarkin712's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 754
Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

I just ran these numbers using the Brewzor app on my phone.
Grain weight 10lbs
Grain temp 65F
Target temp 150F
Mash-in volume: 4.25 gal (1.5 quarts per lb)

Mash water temp should be 160.2F with these numbers. So you should probably have the water a little hotter(maybe 1-1.5F) to hit 150F, as you'll lose some heat as you mix in the grain. If it's too hot just add a little ice or stir it around until it cools to 150F. For your starter you should ferment near 70F. This will get growth faster and won't have any negative effects on the lager yeast. Just cool the starter when finished to drop the yeast and then decant the beer on top prior to pitching.

__________________
slarkin712 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
hog2up
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 53
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hog2up

I was questioning beer smith...it said 148f for strike. Maybe I should target 152f. How hot should batch sparge water be...assuming I'm targeting bringing mash temp up to about to about 165F?
My bad...mash temp of 148 not strike temp.
__________________
hog2up is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #6
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Curtis2010's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: , Guatemala
Posts: 1,153
Liked 104 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hog2up View Post
My bad...mash temp of 148 not strike temp.
I just brewed a very similar recipe using BrewSmith and it came up with a 148F mash temp for mine too. Wort tasted wonderful, very close to estimated OG, fermenting happily along now.
__________________
Curtis2010 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #7
Tamarlane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 232
Liked 115 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis2010 View Post
I just brewed a very similar recipe using BrewSmith and it came up with a 148F mash temp for mine too. Wort tasted wonderful, very close to estimated OG, fermenting happily along now.
BeerSmith gives you one of three mash temps based on whether you choose light body (148), medium body (152), or full body (156)

I usually shoot for 152 on most all of my beers. If you want something light and dry by all means 148 will be fine.
Tamarlane is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 01:23 AM   #8
hog2up
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 53
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarlane

BeerSmith gives you one of three mash temps based on whether you choose light body (148), medium body (152), or full body (156)

I usually shoot for 152 on most all of my beers. If you want something light and dry by all means 148 will be fine.
Good feedback, thanks. Anyone able to guide me on temp of batch sparge water? Not sure if I strike and stir vigorously at 175f or lower. Usually fly sparge but want to try batch and see how it goes.
__________________
hog2up is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 01:48 AM   #9
Tamarlane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 232
Liked 115 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hog2up View Post
Good feedback, thanks. Anyone able to guide me on temp of batch sparge water? Not sure if I strike and stir vigorously at 175f or lower. Usually fly sparge but want to try batch and see how it goes.
I usually heat the sparge water to 180 but it doesn't really matter much
__________________
http://knowledgeandpraxis.wordpress.com
Tamarlane is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 03:26 AM   #10
hog2up
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 53
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarlane

I usually heat the sparge water to 180 but it doesn't really matter much
I'm just confused being new to this. Everything says don't use water over 170f or you will leach tannins , but batch sparge directions say heat water to180-5 to bring mash up to 168-170. What's the answer!
__________________
hog2up is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Grain - Carlvar Pilsner (2B Bohemian Pilsner) osagedr Pilsner 14 01-11-2014 11:44 PM
North American vs European Pilsner malt for Belgian brews staggerlee Recipes/Ingredients 1 03-12-2010 12:38 PM
Midwest Kit: European Pilsner v. Cologne Kolsch stedtale Extract Brewing 4 02-16-2010 05:30 PM
German Pilsner vs. Bohemian Pilsner SpanishCastleAle Recipes/Ingredients 4 08-13-2009 02:57 PM
Rahr Premium Pilsner vs. Belgian Pilsner EamusCatuli Recipes/Ingredients 4 02-17-2009 06:58 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS