Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Etiquette regarding out-of-state or non-local competitions??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
beowulf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Etiquette regarding out-of-state or non-local competitions??

Just curious to hear what you thought about entering out-of-state or non-local competitions. I know that the big ones like NHC attract homebrewers from around the country. However, do most people find it in good taste to enter out-of-state or non-local competitions? I know that it's legal, but is it frowned upon to have someone from Oregon win your local competition in Florida? Or is it pretty much a free-for-all and it's perfectly normal and accepted to have nationwide participation for any competition (unless there are rules stating otherwise)?

I've only entered our State Fair competition, but I'd be interested in other competitions as well....just not a lot of them are remotely close to me. Any thoughts? What has been your experience?

I could murder a pint! -Lovejoy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2012, 12:45 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Just curious to hear what you thought about entering out-of-state or non-local competitions. I know that the big ones like NHC attract homebrewers from around the country. However, do most people find it in good taste to enter out-of-state or non-local competitions? I know that it's legal, but is it frowned upon to have someone from Oregon win your local competition in Florida? Or is it pretty much a free-for-all and it's perfectly normal and accepted to have nationwide participation for any competition (unless there are rules stating otherwise)?

I've only entered our State Fair competition, but I'd be interested in other competitions as well....just not a lot of them are remotely close to me. Any thoughts? What has been your experience?
Sure, that's fine. About 4 years ago, the top winners at a comp I judged at the County Fair in Wisconsin were from California.

Unless it's a club-only competition (for their club), it's open to all. Check out the BJCP website for the competition calendar, and enter any that look good to you!

Old 05-25-2012, 02:18 AM   #3
beowulf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Thanks, Yooper!! Glad that your thoughtful response was right in line with what I wanted to hear

I could murder a pint! -Lovejoy

Quick Reply