Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > "Ethics" of sending bad brew to competion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
Tiedye
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default "Ethics" of sending bad brew to competion

I've been struggling to identify a very specific off flavor that is my plaguing brews and starting to really hammer my enthusiasm.

My troubleshooting process as gone from looking at contamination, chlorine in my water, not properly rinsing PBW from carboy, pitching too little yeast, and fermenting at too high a temp.

Having addressed all of these issues, my latest thought is oxidation. Before I dive into an all out war on oxygen, I'd like to get some reliable feedback that the flavor I'm experiencing is indeed oxidation. Unfortunately, I'm the only craft beer drinker in my circle, and the only (wannabe) homebrewer I know.

My primary question is - is it unethical, or even just bad form to send a brew to competition that you know tastes awful? Having no interest in winning only looking for feedback. Are there BJCP type evaluations that are not tied to competition? Other thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!!

If at first you don't succeed...give that batch to your Father-In-Law.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
DirtyOldDuck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I would find a local brewery and ask one of the brewers to taste it for you and help identify the off flavor. BTW, oxidation causes a wet cardboard taste. Other ideas, local LHBS or search for the nearest homebrew club. I wouldn't waste my time and money entering a contest. Just look around and you should be able to find someone close by. Good luck.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Will a LHBS allow tasting? Our local shop will gladly sample and quickly critique a brew. I see Homebrew Heaven isn't far from your location. I can't comment on the ethics of sending to a competition, having never submitted to one. Is the beer drinkable, or awful? Kyle

Reason: Third-grade spelling mistakes.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
SamHain
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ive done this with my LHBS with a beer I thought had an off flavor....they were great help.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
alane1
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 130

have you posted a description on here?Maybe someone can help you.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #6
Tiedye
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
Will a LHBS allow tasting? Our local shop will gladly sample and quickly critique a brew. I see Homebrew Heaven isn't far from your location. I can't comment on the ethics of sending to a competition, having never submitted to one. Is the beer drinkable, or awful? Kyle
My wife says its awful...my mother says its the best beer she's ever had

If at first you don't succeed...give that batch to your Father-In-Law.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #7
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1001 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 2071

No problem sending in a flawed beer to competitions - happens all the time. You will get at least two opinions about your beer back.

Aside from your local brewers and LHBS, you might also ask some folks here whose opinions you respect if they would taste your beer for you, if you sent it to them.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Old 01-29-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 82

It happens all the time, thanks for asking. Judges are trained to give constructive criticism. We don’t want to discourage anyone. If we can help you make better beer, that’s better for everyone.

If you can get feedback closer to home, that’s great. Consider the source, though. Everybody likes free beer, it takes a friend to give you an honest critique.

We’re all in this together. You know, homebrewers.

Slainte

Old 01-30-2013, 12:03 AM   #9
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 896 Times on 627 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Here is link to a homebrew club that appear to be forming near you: http://beeradvocate.com/community/th...ew-crew.21360/

Maybe they can taste it and help you out.

Board of Directors, California Homebrewers Association
albert@calhomebrewers.org

Old 01-30-2013, 03:52 AM   #10
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 439 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 362

I would look for the local options first - LHBS, Brewpub, Brew club. Or, maybe put out a call right here on the forum for an experienced judge - send them your beer you have problems with, and a couple other local microbrews to compensate them for their efforts - would still be cheaper than sending to a comp. And, you would likely get way better feedback if you sent it to a judge with the express knowledge that you realize there is something wrong with it, and you would like some help.

Quick Reply