The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Ethical/moral dilemma on "beer brewing research grant"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Default Ethical/moral dilemma on "beer brewing research grant"

I have been brewing for just over two years now and made the jump to all grain 16+ months ago. In the last year I have started kegging and moving into 8-10 gallon size batches. For a recipe/style that many of my friends like I usually will keg 1/2 and bottle 1/2 of an 8-10 gallon brew session and give all of the bottles away. I like to do this because it gives me the opportunity to receive feedback from non-brewers that do enjoy home brew and motivates me to challenge myself with trying different styles including some that I don't care much for but my swmbo and select friends love.

All of the beer I have given away has either been treated as a gift or a thankyou to friends that have helped me and my wife move and adjust to having our first child. (We are in our early 40's and have been married just two years.) I never expected anything in return for the beer I enjoy sharing except that people return the bottles to me (hopefully w/o mold or baby mice but that happens).

Here is the dilemma: One couple that I have probably given 6-8 cases of beer to in the last two years decided to give me a $200 check as a grant to continue to buy materials for further research in my brewing hobby. While I greatly appreciate the gesture, I am not certain that I could really accept this w/o breaking or bending some kind of law. I am still well under the limit of producing 200 gallons per resisdent adult per year and do not want to set any future expectation or break any law. They consider this to be a one time gift but I have read on the forum that this is can be a very gray area.

My swmbo says just take the money, say thank you and pour a cold one. She is an avid knitter and will make friends knitted items if they purchase the materials. I tried explaining that this is not the same as with making beer or wine.

Am I just making way too big of a deal about this (like she says I am)?

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

He's not buying your beer, he's investing in upgrading your equipment.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:27 PM   #3
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Doesn't he know Christmas isn't until December? Oh well, I would never turn down a gift, no matter how early.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
Slurm
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do not talk about fight club....

Also, listen to your wife.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #5
FromZwolle
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

so a friend of yours basically gave you a giftcard to everywhere because you have been a good friend to him in the past. i don't see how this is even remotely bending any laws.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:31 PM   #6
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

I wouldn't have any problem with it. I might even be up for my buddies to buy me ingredients and then they can have the beer just so I can brew more. I have no problem with bending the law tho. Aint a crime if you don't get caught.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #7
Vance71975
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
He's not buying your beer, he's investing in upgrading your equipment.
+1 Unless the guy said here is 200 bucks please make me 10 gallons of beer, you are not breaking the law. You have to SELL him beer to be breaking the law, but since any beer you give him is clearly a gift that you clearly expected no money for, they would be hard pressed to have a case against you or even bother wasting their time with it.It is also not illegal if they go out and buy you ingredients and ask you to brew a batch for them, it is only illegal if you hand them a case of beer and they hand you cash to pay you for that case of beer. RDWHAHB

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:34 PM   #8
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There is no problem at all. It's no different then if your friend came over for bar-b-que every couple weeks, and then decided to give you some cash to help pay back all the food they had eaten, and to ensure more food would be coming along. You wouldn't have a problem with that would you?

Don't sweat it at all.

RDWHAHB

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 07-13-2011, 11:35 PM   #9
JohnFrum1978
Recipes 

Nobody would have known about it if you hadn't posted it here. If a crime was indeed committed I'd have had a hard time figuring out who the victim was.

The second rule of fight club is that you do not talk about fight club.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:58 PM   #10
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I believe it is in your best interest to google "namby pamby".

Then go apologize to your friends for being such and hug them for the kind gesture.

_

Quick Reply