New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Estimate primary time based on OG/ABV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
Naked_Eskimo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Estimate primary time based on OG/ABV

This ISN'T a is by beer ready to secondary thread.

I've pulled a lot of recipes from the HBT database, and it's interesting to read about the length of time people primary for before bottling/kegging.

Some brews are ready to go in 10 days (e.g. EdWorts Haus Pale Ale, BMs Centennial Blonde), whereas others are sitting in primary for a month.

Is there a "rough" way of estimating how long a beer might need to primary for based on the OG. I assume the lower OG/ABV beers would need less of a primary vs a high OG beer. So a session beer would require a shorter primary relative to a imperial stout, for instance.

I know enough to always use a hydrometer, but this isnt about absolutely testing when a beer is ready to be racked.....just based on estimation looking at a recipe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
Oldyote
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would guess that yes there would be a method but you would also need to to factor in type of yeast, how many cells were pitched, and your fermentation temps.

going 90 I ain't scary cuz I got the virgin mary assuring me that I won't go to hell

Old 10-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Depends on too many things.

If you pitch cells per ml per degree plato you can usually predict it pretty well for a particular yeast based on past experience.

My 1056 beers are typically at terminal gravity in 72 - 96 hours from pitching. About 7 days for my 833 beers. Other yeast I might only use once or twice a year so I have less of a feel.

But this is all dependent on various things I do the same way every time, it would be different in another brewery.

Quick Reply