Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 01:47 AM   #11
jhegende
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelpout View Post
Hard? You stand there and look at grain soaking for an hour. I think you can manage. How much at one time is the question.
I know that but you need certain amounts of each ingredient and that seems like the difficult part to figure out. Its gotta be much harder than the mr beer its I am doing now and I have even screwed that up twice out of 4 times I have brewed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 03:12 AM   #12
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhegende View Post
I know that but you need certain amounts of each ingredient and that seems like the difficult part to figure out. Its gotta be much harder than the mr beer its I am doing now and I have even screwed that up twice out of 4 times I have brewed.
None of it's "hard" necessarily, just more involved. There is nothing wrong however getting a good start with extracts before moving on to all grain (nothing wrong with staying with extracts for that matter if thats what you want to do). The basics you are talking about buying now, translate directly to all grain (large kettle, wort chiller, etc). If you decide later to move to all grain, you will just be adding some equipment, not "replacing" it. Mr. Beer gave many of us the bug, but it's pretty limiting on the imagination. Even a full extract brew, or better yet partial mash (no additional equipment needed other than a bag), will allow you to make beer to YOUR specifications and not some else's.

BTW - Welcome to the hobby / obsession!!

Old 02-13-2013, 03:22 AM   #13
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Its gotta be much harder than the mr beer its I am doing now and I have even screwed that up twice out of 4 times I have brewed.
Just out of (morbid?) curiosity, what do you feel you messed up on the two batches? I know my first few MB's, I was so intent on reading, that I had a tendency to "lose track" of what was happening on the stove top. I'm sure it's different with everyone, but for me things started getting "easier" once I knew "why" I was doing each step and not just doing it because it was on the next line on the instructions. Only comes with time, reading, and patience......

Old 02-13-2013, 03:56 AM   #14
jhegende
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501irishred

Just out of (morbid?) curiosity, what do you feel you messed up on the two batches? I know my first few MB's, I was so intent on reading, that I had a tendency to "lose track" of what was happening on the stove top. I'm sure it's different with everyone, but for me things started getting "easier" once I knew "why" I was doing each step and not just doing it because it was on the next line on the instructions. Only comes with time, reading, and patience......
One batch I didn't use a sugar solution and it was not carbonated right then the second one was with a friend and his was used and we must not have cleaned it well enough because it got a nasty infection. You live and you learn!

Old 02-13-2013, 03:59 AM   #15
jhegende
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501irishred

None of it's "hard" necessarily, just more involved. There is nothing wrong however getting a good start with extracts before moving on to all grain (nothing wrong with staying with extracts for that matter if thats what you want to do). The basics you are talking about buying now, translate directly to all grain (large kettle, wort chiller, etc). If you decide later to move to all grain, you will just be adding some equipment, not "replacing" it. Mr. Beer gave many of us the bug, but it's pretty limiting on the imagination. Even a full extract brew, or better yet partial mash (no additional equipment needed other than a bag), will allow you to make beer to YOUR specifications and not some else's.

BTW - Welcome to the hobby / obsession!!
I want to slowly start buying all grain equipment. I have my neighbor hooked on this now too. We have been helping each other but we really need to figure out how to do all grain.... Step by step.
I have a brewmasters bible book maybe that will help me.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:18 AM   #16
Easterbrook
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Your next purchase should be "How to Brew" by John Palmer. http://www.amazon.com/How-Brew-Every...ds=how+to+brew

It explains, step by step, how to brew all grain.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:33 AM   #17
Evonnida
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easterbrook
Your next purchase should be "How to Brew" by John Palmer. http://www.amazon.com/How-Brew-Every...ds=how+to+brew

It explains, step by step, how to brew all grain.
+1. As a new brewer, I've read about 10 books on Homebrewing. His is by far the best, and I'm not even to all grain brewing yet.

Drinking: Schlafly Pale Ale
Primary: Nothing yet...
On Deck: Blonde Ale and Light Ale

Old 02-14-2013, 04:24 AM   #18
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
One batch I didn't use a sugar solution and it was not carbonated right then the second one was with a friend and his was used and we must not have cleaned it well enough because it got a nasty infection. You live and you learn!
You're right, live and learn! As you found out the hard way, cleaning and sanitizing are not to be taken lightly.

Quote:
I want to slowly start buying all grain equipment. I have my neighbor hooked on this now too. We have been helping each other but we really need to figure out how to do all grain.... Step by step.
I have a brewmasters bible book maybe that will help me.
Make sure to keep brewing while your saving up and gathering for the all grain setup. All the really important steps (IMO) can be learned while extract brewing, without muddying the waters by adding a full mash to the equation. Cleaning, sanitizing, boil control, hops schedules, wort aeration, proper fermentation etc, will all become second nature in time. Once you feel good with all that, it'll be time to fire up the strike water!

Old 02-15-2013, 02:28 AM   #19
Hackwood
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Get your basic/mediocre/top shelf kit and add a cooler with a home made false bottom. Couple feet of copper and some elbows and tees, a ball valve and you are set. Save a little money per brew but costs and extra hour+ for brew time.

Fermenting - Nothing.
Lagering - Nothing.
Secondary - Nothing.
Bottle-aging -Chocolate Stout, Lite Citra Ale and a Citra SmAsH.
In the Fridge - New Castle Brown Ale, Chimay and Milk Stout.

Quick Reply