The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Entering Home Brew Contests

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 12:16 AM   #1
RBChallenger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Entering Home Brew Contests

I am interested in entering some beers in home brew contests that provide feedback and the like. I am fine with mailing the beers in, driving within a few hours of Tucson AZ or anything like that. Any advice for a first timer? Thanks!

Regards,
Rich

Primary 1: Watermelon Wheat Ale
Primary 2: Irish Red
Secondary 1: Alaskan Amber
Secondary 2: Air
Secondary 3: Air

Bottled: Foggy Haze Hefeweizen (ver 1.0)
Planned: Chocolate Mint Oatmeal Stout, EdWort's Apfelwein

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2009, 12:30 AM   #2
DanVader
Recipes 

if you want good scores, brew to style. If you're shipping, don't tell em it's beer.
The feed back is cool, but take it with a grain of salt, some judges are better than others.
Don't let it get you down if you don't score high, you're the best judge of your beer, if you like it, thats all that really matters. I've only entered one contest so far and got some fairly complimentary feedback, made me feel good, and gave me some bragging rights around the neighborhood.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he’ll sit in the boat and drink all day

Old 06-03-2009, 02:35 AM   #3
desertbronze
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Have a thick skin. Sometimes the comments seem harsh, but they are usually an impartial evaluation of the beer. Send the same beer to several contests for a more balanced overall evaluation of the beer.

Kegged - Where's Waldo Amber Ale
Dry peppering - Jalapeno Wheat
On the fruit - Currant Wheat and Huckleberry Wheat

Primary - FUBAR Weizenbock and Accidental Dunkelweizen

Hops - Centennial, Nugget, Mt. Hood, Cascade, Willamette, Magnum, Chinook

Old 06-03-2009, 03:19 AM   #4
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What they said. Don't try to ship via USPS, that's illegal, you have to use a private seller like UPS or FedEx, which is legal, however, the person helping you might not know. I just sent 2 bottles to a contest via UPS. The guy was cool. I just said I needed to ship these 2 bottles and he started measuring them. When he was about finished he asked if it was homebrewed beer and I told him yea and it was for a contest, and he was like "cool".

But yea, you have to brew to BJCP style guidelines to get good scores. If you do that, you never know, you may win. My first recipe, Foreign Extra Stout, tasted great, so I entered it, and it won 3rd place. Still waiting on the scoresheet. I was pleasantly surprised. Good luck!

Old 06-03-2009, 03:37 AM   #5
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Brew to the extreme of the style. If the high end of the OG is 1.060, your beer should be 1.060. High IBU is 50, you're beer should be 60. Why? Cause the asshole in front of you in the tasting did that and now I can't taste anything especially you're clean perfect to style beer.

If you can't tell I hate it when people do that. Put a IIPA in a PA category oh why thank you for destroying my palate.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:18 AM   #6
RBChallenger
Recipes 

Good notes, thanks! To be honest, I just thought it would be neat to try and enter a contest and get unbiased feedback. In the end, my friends love our beer and I love our beer.. mission accomplished.

So you guys just recommend finding one of the contest and mailing the suckers off (not via USPS of course) and thats that? Simple enough... now to get my clearing process down a bit better. Thanks fellas... I love this hobby!!!

Regards,
Rich

Primary 1: Watermelon Wheat Ale
Primary 2: Irish Red
Secondary 1: Alaskan Amber
Secondary 2: Air
Secondary 3: Air

Bottled: Foggy Haze Hefeweizen (ver 1.0)
Planned: Chocolate Mint Oatmeal Stout, EdWort's Apfelwein

Old 06-03-2009, 05:09 AM   #7
z987k

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBChallenger View Post
Good notes, thanks! To be honest, I just thought it would be neat to try and enter a contest and get unbiased feedback. In the end, my friends love our beer and I love our beer.. mission accomplished.

So you guys just recommend finding one of the contest and mailing the suckers off (not via USPS of course) and thats that? Simple enough... now to get my clearing process down a bit better. Thanks fellas... I love this hobby!!!
try to find a local one and sign up to steward.. and enter your beers.

Competition Schedule

Old 06-03-2009, 05:19 AM   #8
SourHopHead

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you know any of the local brewers you can ask them to give you feedback.

FV's- Flanders Red, Munich Helles x2, Apfelwein, Hard Lemonade
SV1- Pumpkin Spice
SV2- Hard Cider
SV3- Empty
Kegs- Green Chili Ale, Watermelon Sour

On Deck: Celebration Ale Clone

"Be Good or Be Gone." EST. 1854
Shazbot Blonde

Old 06-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Doesn't this site have one coming up? I swear that I was planning on entering later this year. Is is only open to members? Can't remember.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:07 PM   #10
z987k

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBChallenger View Post
now to get my clearing process down a bit better. Thanks fellas... I love this hobby!!!
Polyclar aka PVPPP is great stuff and a touch harder to find. Use the correct amount and no more as it will start to strip all kinds of things from your beer. In high enough quantities you can take color out. But it really is a great clarifier.

Quick Reply