Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Entered a beer at the County Fair

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
tonkota
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Entered a beer at the County Fair

I've been brewing for about three years, made some good beer, and a couple great beers and one really crappy beer that I can't drink and I can't seem to bring myself to pour out.

Anyway, I made a beer, Huckleberry Kolsh that I feel turned out this time. This is my second try with huckleberries, I fixed a lot of the issues I had with the first batch. The huckleberry flavor is light, the color is light purple and it smells good, bright white head. No wine flavors like I had in the first try.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6616332...in/photostream

I don't know what to expect. How do they judge a beer?

Arron - quality over quantity beer drinker

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Did you enter it as a Kolsch or a Fruit beer? The style it is entered under can make a world of difference. They will judge based on the BJCP guidelines (unless otherwise stated) and the fruit is out of style for a Kolsch.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
tonkota
Recipes 

I entered it as a fruit beer. If I had entered it as a Kolsh, some poor judge might have a heart attack and call Germany on me

http://www.spokanecounty.org/Fair/SI...ons/beer11.pdf

I'm super excited, I don't know what to expect at all. I plan on going to the fair the first day to see how it fares.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
KFH
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This gives me a good idea...

I'll be entering my Hellfire Porter and Succubus Dunkelweizen this year, along with some of my LPR Apfelwien (depending on how this current recipe turns out). I might try to squeeze in one more beer, but I doubt I'd have enough time.

Infernal Brewing

Old 08-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I wish you luck with this beer. Be sure to post your scores when you get them.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
tonkota
Recipes 

Thanks! I will post up what the beer scores. I should know by the 9th of September. Paper work had to be in by today, and beers dropped off at the LHBS on the 23rd - 25th of August.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
Shaneisneato
Recipes 

I also entered my state fair. I've been brewing beer for under 6 months. I entered a Raspberry Kolsch and a Honey Pilsner Ale. I turn them in tomorrow and I am planning on attending the awards ceremony on Sunday. I hope I get my score sheets back then too.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Good luck on your brews, competitions are a good tool to improve your brewing skills. You typically get great feedback but depends on the caliber of judges at the competition. I would suggest entering them in a number of contests to get a fair judgement of the brew.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #9
KFH
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLObrewer View Post
Good luck on your brews, competitions are a good tool to improve your brewing skills. You typically get great feedback but depends on the caliber of judges at the competition. I would suggest entering them in a number of contests to get a fair judgement of the brew.
I wish I could do that, but competitions seem to be few and far between here in AZ.

Infernal Brewing

Old 08-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #10
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFH View Post
I wish I could do that, but competitions seem to be few and far between here in AZ.
There's two big ones a year here. The Great Arizona homebrew comp in March, and the Arizona Society of Homebrewer's Oktoberfest comp in October/Novemeber(which is coming up).

There is also a Coconino county competition in September. I believe entries are due for that one within the next couple weeks.

Also look for competitions in California and Colorado. Both have really big brewing communities, and generally have big competitions with quality judging. I just recently shipped two beers off to the Gnarly Barley festival in CO. I think there were like 250 entries or so in that comp. (It costs around $5-10 to UPS a few bottles to CO or CA)

Quick Reply