Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > English Mild-how long in the bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2011, 04:18 AM   #1
porterguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default English Mild-how long in the bottle?

Just bottled yesterday. How long minimum for it to carb up? I carbed it at 1.5 per the "beer recipator" after plugging in the numbers.

I'm willing to wait as long as necessary. A day, a day and a half, even longer if I have to. It's already been 24 hours and 52 minutes

"Is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?" -Frank Zappa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 04:28 AM   #2
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Give it 3 weeks at 70F before you chill one for 5+ days and pour into the glass... I know it might seem like an eternity, but your brew will greatly reward you for patience...

I do hope you have other home brew ready for drinking while you wait... It's one of the reasons why we tell people to establish a pipeline early on... I have four kegs in my fridge (2.5 and 3 gallon sizes) plus two more outside of the fridge (partially carb'd) with three faucets in the fridge door serving up home brew. If one kicks, I have another keg already chilled, and carbonated, ready to take it's spot. I'm even thinking of where I could put another brew fridge, or small chest freezer, so that I can carbonate more brew while the main fridge if full...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 09-12-2011, 04:40 AM   #3
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'll go against conventional wisdom and say give it a taste at 12-14 days. I know, I know, trying it before the magical 3 weeks makes baby jesus cries, but my low carbonation beers have all been pretty much ready at the 10 day mark provided they were conditioned at around 70F.

Milds are also ready a lot faster tastewise (carbonation level notwithstanding) than your average 1.055 american pale ale.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:44 AM   #4
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I enjoyed the first part of my English mild from keg, and haven't tried the bottled portion yet. It has been much longer than three weeks. They've been in the basement at my brew-buddy's place, sitting silently at 63-68F waiting for me to open them up... I might have to go and grab a couple to chill and test.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 09-12-2011, 04:46 AM   #5
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I enjoyed the first part of my English mild from keg, and haven't tried the bottled portion yet. It has been much longer than three weeks. They've been in the basement at my brew-buddy's place, sitting silently at 63-68F waiting for me to open them up... I might have to go and grab a couple to chill and test.
3 weeks ? That mild's about to cash its pension check ! Do it a favour and drink it
Old 09-12-2011, 04:51 AM   #6
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfr1111 View Post
3 weeks ? That mild's about to cash its pension check ! Do it a favour and drink it
MEH!!!

I'm even letting my kegged brews go 2+ weeks before I sample them. Of course, I'm also doing long primaries, so they're pretty much ready to drink once they're carbonated. Still, I'm patient with the brews. Plus, I want to see how they change over time. Since I live alone, and most of my buddies (that drink beer) are far enough away that they don't come over that often (even with free beer on the table) it takes me a while to actually finish a batch.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 09-13-2011, 12:42 AM   #7
porterguy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Give it 3 weeks at 70F before you chill one for 5+ days and pour into the glass... I know it might seem like an eternity, but your brew will greatly reward you for patience...

I do hope you have other home brew ready for drinking while you wait... It's one of the reasons why we tell people to establish a pipeline early on... I have four kegs in my fridge (2.5 and 3 gallon sizes) plus two more outside of the fridge (partially carb'd) with three faucets in the fridge door serving up home brew. If one kicks, I have another keg already chilled, and carbonated, ready to take it's spot. I'm even thinking of where I could put another brew fridge, or small chest freezer, so that I can carbonate more brew while the main fridge if full...
And what did you say your address is?

"Is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?" -Frank Zappa

Old 09-13-2011, 12:49 AM   #8
Corey_James
Recipes 

Two weeks from brew to drink on a mild. Brewed on a Friday let ferment for 10, keg conditioned and then enjoyed the on that Saturday for cask fest this fall. I brewed a very easy beer, had to wait 10 days as the yeast was still fermenting but then transferred to keg and conditioned in the keg. It had plenty of carb in 5 days, but then again it was in a keg.

Primary - MT
Secondary - Red India Pale Lager
Conditioning - None.
Bottled - More than my sig will allow me to post.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:55 AM   #9
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterguy View Post
And what did you say your address is?
I didn't...

Besides, I drink at home, but brew, ferment, and keg at my buddy's place. I do expect that to change once I move (hopefully before the end of this year)... At that point, I plan to brew more often and will expand my kegging system accordingly...

Fermenting
K1:

Old 09-13-2011, 12:59 AM   #10
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Why would you let a mild age!? There is a reason there are no imported examples of a mild available in the US...they don't age well and deteriorate very quickly. Crack those babies open and enjoy them young!

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Quick Reply