Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > English Mild

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_Stout View Post
You are correct, it is a Brown Ale, I've only had it once at a pub and I just assumed it was an english mild. I don't think I've actually had one in that case, is it similar to an english brown just lighter?
If you read Barclay perkins, you find out some of the designations over history have changed or they've changed them for various reasoning, marketing for instance, taxation purposes, ingredients shortages that result in recipe tweaks. But really the thing to look for is the gravity of the beer and the yeast used, the ingredients. NOT what it might be called.

There are so many categorizations and deriviations under the "names" bitters and milds, that is can be confusing. But really they all are just fairly low gravity, somewhat tannic, flavorful, easy drinking session ales.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2257 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 1241

I brewed one last fall and it was ok, but had practically ZERO hops. The grainy flavor came through full blast and it had a decent sweetness. Low ABV and quick to make.

This spring I made another but changed the hop schedule and it's probably a bit too hoppy to win an award, but I like it. Low ABV and after a week or two more should mellow out and be what I wanted.

My recipe was based on Orfy's Mild Mannered recipe: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f67/mild...e-uk-us-52776/

This time I used Marris Otter per his recipe (used regular US 2-Row before) and this time I used Willamette because my EKG was old and didn't smell right. I've been serving a bit too highly carbonated because I forgot to drop my PSI when I got it where I wanted it.

They are good beers for sitting around and quaffing for hours.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #13
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2257 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 1241

Oh, and I saved the yeast and plan on fermenting a stout with it. Nottingham made a firm cake on the bottom of the fermenter and the clarity is very good using that yeast.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #14
Ryush806

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
But making your own is great, and because it's a low gravity but flavorful beer, it's cheap to make besides! I did Jamil's recipe the last time, and I loved it.
Just make sure you account for the increased efficiency due to the small grain bill if you're doing all grain. I usually get around 70-75% but when I brewed my first mild I hit 83%. I didn't want to dilute it so it wasn't as "mild" as I wanted it to be. Still great though!

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin (and I don't care if this quote has been largely discredited/misquoted...I like it!)

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #15
klnosaj

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
... the thing to look for is the gravity of the beer and the yeast used, the ingredients. NOT what it might be called.

There are so many categorizations and deriviations under the "names" bitters and milds, that is can be confusing. But really they all are just fairly low gravity, somewhat tannic, flavorful, easy drinking session ales.
These are two reasons why a lot of the beers you listed above are not milds. Fullers ESB, for instance, could never be considered a mild. Neither could Sam Smith's Winter Warmer. ESB does not equal MILD. Neither does an Irish Red nor an English Brown. Commercial Milds in England traditionally have an ABV around 3%. Browns, bitters, special bitters, best bitters, pale ales, extra special bitters, red ales, brown ales, all have ABV higher than that, sometimes as much as by more than double.

They're hard to find, for sure. I'm lucky where I live that there are lots of craft brews and brewers around who are bucking the trend of simply adding more hops to everything and are actively seeking to resuscitate styles that have lost favor (milds have gone out of fashion in England, too). Dying Vines out of Oakland makes a killer mild. I know that Epic out of Salt Lake makes one, as does Magic Hat (New Hampshire?). They are delicious, though different from their more robust cousins the bitters and pale ales.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #16
Pdeezy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wow that was a lot of info. Thanks everyone, and thanks Revvy for the list.

I will probably brew orfy's mild, with EKG instead of fuggles, and S-04 instead of notty, should that be pretty close to the style? I'll post that question in the Recipe section if I need to.

In the meantime I will keep my eyes peeled for something to quench my curiosity.

Next to Brew - Who knows...something with EKG

Primary - April's Amber

Bottled - Bee Cave IPA
Bottled - Apfelwein
Bottled - Dirty Blonde (BM's Blonde w/ 2X hops)
Bottled - Ed's Haus
Bottled - Hop Dread Red V1.0 (Red IPA)

Old 03-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #17
VTDuffman
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Magic Hat has a domestic commercially available Mild called "+/-" as part of their Spring variety pack. It's very good.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #18
Refly
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I haven't seen many examples of milds in the US. What I have seen is often way past is the expiration with a generous coating of dust and I've found it's not a beer that ages well especially those in clear bottles. Even in the UK they are getting rare. Sometimes you will will them referred to as "ordinary" which I assume is a mild(at least the alcohol content is right). At a decent pub, there will usually be a brewer - Fullers, Young's, or whatever regional brewer that has some "ordinary" on tap, next to their "special".

I saw Ruddle's on Revy's list. I drank quite a few pints of this while I was there and I'd say it qualifies. We often stopped at a field in the middle of hiking trail that had nothing but a pub (in the middle of nowhere). A couple of pints of Ruddle's and we were back on our way.

I've been thinking about brewing up a mild for my next brew as well. It's an awesome style. They are great with food and you can enjoy several and be on your way.

Brew one up - you won't be disappointed and it's a nice change of pace.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:34 AM   #19
Refly
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTDuffman View Post
Magic Hat has a domestic commercially available Mild called "+/-" as part of their Spring variety pack. It's very good.
Just as I was saying you don't see many examples ! I'll have to find some.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:44 AM   #20
nestler
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Commercial Suicide from Jester King

As recently as November, Jester King (in Austin) used to brew a mild called Commercial Suicide that you could find in bottles in grocery stores around Austin. They seemed to have stopped making it for some reason though. Too bad since it was one of the few milds I ever saw from a US brewery.

Quick Reply